Compatibility and Outlook Email issues

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by hybridit, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hybridit

hybridit Registered Member

I am occasionally getting issues with NOD32 and Outlook unable to download emails.

There are other threads that explain how to avoid/get around this issue, although that is not the purpose of this thread as I have already adjusted the settings on the affected computers towards Compatibility than Efficiency.

Yesterday morning, I can in to a clients premises to perform a quarterly security maintenance to update all windows updates etc. Before doing all the updates, there was no problems with downloading emails.

However, after installing the following updates:
    IE8, KB972260, KB971961, KB926141, and some monthly cert update

All 5 computers stopped responding and just *hanged* while downloading emails or just partially downloaded the emails and all i see is a blank email which everyone is aware of.

System Specs:
    * Windows XPP SP3
    * Eset NOD32 v4
    * Definition 4445-4448

What I want to know is why is there this issue to begin with?

Should I just change all my clients settings to Compatibility as opposed to Efficiency to ensure Outlook will always work?

I know we're a small fry as an Eset reseller, although its embarrassing when we are promoting Eset, and occasionally get this error and have to modify all systems for the client to get emails working again.

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I had your problem recently, where e-mail would hang at 50%. I disabled the pop3 checking and it cleared the problem. Reading your post here, I checked what my compatibility was set at and found it pinned on the efficiency end. So I reactivated my pop3 checking and moved the compatibility setting to the center. I'll see if my e-mails access OK. Thanks to you I learned something new today. :)

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Update: re-enabling pop3 checking with compatibility setting in NOD32 v3 all the way to the left compatibility side has not fixed the problem. I had to uncheck pop3 checking to allow e-mails to be received without hanging. This started just lately after using v3.684 for quite a while. Could another app like the firewall be causing the problem?

4. hybridit

Sorry for bringing this back to life - but does anyone have a solution to this?

Eset Techo_O

The computer that had this problem had Windows Firewall disabled and no other software firewall. The only other basic type of firewall is the mere DSL router for a basic network config.

This issue seemed to have "just occurred" once I did the monthly maintenance in my first post - although once the updates were removed, the issue were still persistent.

5. hybridit

Good to see that Eset is here to support their resellers!

To anyone that is having this issue, try (re)installating the following update from Microsoft:
    NDP1.1sp1-KB953297-X86.exe

Uninstall NOD32 v4 and make sure there is no Eset folders (all versions) in Program Files.

Reboot system and reinstall NOD32 EAV v4 and update.

This got us working without needing to change the compatibility mode to receive emails.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.