Compatability

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by joncowcare, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joncowcare

joncowcare Registered Member

I know that in the "Sticky" it mentions that AVG Anti-Spy is compatable with all the protection that I currently have installed [AVG AV, Spywareblaster, Spybot and Zonealarm Firewall] but, I have read in other forums that certain aspects of my current protection need turning off.
    [For example, Resident in Spybot should be turned off so as not to interfere with AVG Anti-Spy Resident]
    Is this true ?
    I'd like to install AVG AS as it always seems to pick up on any Tracking Cookies but not if I have to make alterations to other programmes.
    Many thanks !
    Jon

2. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

If the only or primary reason you want or would use AVG AS for is to delete tracking cookies, many other programs such as Adaware do this, or you could do it yourself manually. AVG AS is good for protection from spyware and trojans, that is its primary purpose.

3. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

No! Where have you read that?

The Resident aspect of Spybot comprises two parts, the 'bad download blocker', which installs in IE as a BHO, and Tea Timer, which monitors the Registry amongst other things. None of these functions overlap with AVG-AS's realtime protection, so there should be no conflict or interference.

When you refer to AVG-AS picking up tracking cookies, do you mean the realtime Guard protection (which deletes trackers while you surf) or do you mean the demand scanner? If you mean the former then AdAware does not have this feature, if you mean the latter then you might just as well use a cache cleaner before scanning so there are no trackers to pick up anyway!

4. joncowcare

joncowcare Registered Member

Thanks to both of you for your help !
    Topper ID.
    I heard that aspects of Spybot could cause a conflict with AVG AS from the Tiscali computer forum, not that I believe it, however, thought I'd double-check.
    Your explanation of Spybot BHO and Tea Timer has really put my mind at rest, thankyou !
    You say to use a "Cache cleaner" before scanning. Excuse my ignorance but what is a "Cache cleaner" ? Is it the Privacy setting in IE ?
    Many thanks !
    Jon

5. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

In order to keep your machine in good trim it is advisable to clean out all the junk entries that accumulate over time, if you don't do that your machine will slow down eventually and not be as efficient. It's a bit like mucking out the cowsheds really - I mean you wouldn't want to be knee deep in poop at milking time would you! :D Neither does your machine want to be full of c**p. So I recommend regular use of CCleaner to sleuce it all out.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Another reason, if you scan with an AV or AS scanner you often pick up apparent 'nasties' lurking in temporary windows locations, temp internet files, your Java cache, cookies folder etc; running a cache cleaner before you scan will delete all these things so you do not clog up your logs with irrelevences and can thereby concentrate on the important things.

If you decide to install CCleaner you'll be offered the Yahoo Toolbar at the same time, an offer you may wish to decline, also you need to configure it so that you don't delete things you may wish to keep - for example there is a Cookies section in which you can select to keep those Cookies you wish to retain (eg your Wilders Cookie ;) ) while deleting all the rest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.