Comodo

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by waters, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waters

waters Registered Member

Just installed it.To keep things easy should i select training mode for firewall and defence

2. 3xist

3xist Guest

Only leave it on for a few days!!! Then put both back to "Safe Mode"

Josh

3. waters

waters Registered Member

Keep being alerted still in installation mode for defence but when i check its in learning mode

4. waters

waters Registered Member

Ok going to remove it,tried comodo before and could see it learning but this time it isnt

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

All these new HIPS combos with included firewall apps i consider an ongoing work in progress so could just been a simple setting change to avoid confusion.

After a while COMODO D+ settles in great and alerts on unknowns as expected, at least so far thats what i found with it.

6. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

How long is a while o_O I got sick of it doing that thing every startup so I sent it to live with the fairies in the Garden, because even if I chose custom install, it complained that D+ wasent installed :cautious:

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I dunno frankly DVD+R.

I'm still not yet 100% sold on these combos yet even though they're getting some fanfare. Like i mentioned though you can see they're still a work unfinished but just how much is left?

If i get to overwhelmed by any of them i just simply revert back to trusty EQS + Kerio 2.15 and things are much quieter. LoL

EASTER

8. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Curiosity got the better of me, so I installed it again,and this time Installed with just Firewall and Leaktest protection, Instead of D+. Then I set Network and Proactive Protection to Safe Mode/Stealthed Ports to everybody, and I've only had 2 Apps asking for permission, instead of that damned driver scan every reboot. Looking OK thus so far :cautious:

9. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

It does settle down in time but any changes like windows updates will be 'noted'.:D

10. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

11. duke1959

Just wanted to add that I really like Comodo and it runs very well on my PC. it's just that my wife occasionally uses it and I worry that she may deny something that causes the problem mentioned. I realize it can be fixed by going into Safe Mode, but there has to be a way to keep something like this from happening.

12. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

You can protect settings with password and you can export then import configuration if something vital is changed (see screenshots)

Attached Files:

13. duke1959

Thanks I may do that. What I mean though is I worry that an alert from Comodo may pop up and involve some Windows file and be incorrectly denied and cause problems. I have enough knowledge to know how to answer the pop ups, but the troubles people have reported were by other people who are also knowledgeable and still made some mistake. Maybe a second chance alert like TF has would be a possibility. I have schooled my wife on how to read the alerts and realize just how unlikely it would be for this to happen. But as I said I hope this will be something that Comodo can improve on. They certainly are doing a fine job in all other areas.

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  14. waters

waters Registered Member

Back to comodo now,had it on a week,do i leave on clean pc mode .This time seems to run good

15. waters

waters Registered Member

Tried to purge pending files and it gave error and then shutdown comodo

16. Hoodied

Hoodied Registered Member

Hey!

I myself also am not sold on Comodo V3 as of yet. I've tried it for a period of two weeks. Comodo is so close to becoming an amazing firewall/hips classic. However I feel as though Comodo has to work on there performance issues first hand, instead of focusing on the Hips.

We all know Comodo Hip's is amazing (probably the best freeware hips available), and I think Comodo should instead focus on there internet filtering abilities with handling many connections rather than leak test. When torrenting, Comodo CPU Cycles and Internet Speed really shows its skin when handling many connections in comparison to firewalls such as Look'N'Stop, Jetico, and Kerio 2.1.5.

In all honesty, leak test are excellent proof of concept for Malware and such intrusions. However, I can honestly say that over half of the Comodo users probably don't wouldn't even recognize a real Malware leak or attack with the D+ Alerts. It's very easy to stop a leak test when you know what to expect beforehand, however in the real word Malware is always unpredictable and very hard to determine unless you know what you are doing and know what processes and privileges a program should or shouldn't have.

This is why so many firewall vets still use Kerio 2.1.5 because of the performance and internet filtering abilities. The only small issue I have with Kerio 2.1.5 is fragmented packets. Albeit if any damage can be done with fragmented packets is still in question (for home users).

Instead I use Jetico, which is an amazing firewall and can handle many connections and perform just as well as Kerio 2.1.5.

17. duke1959

Once again a post in the Comodo Forums of someone "locking themselves out of their PC's and once again this is why I am fearful of using Comodo. This time the poster even states that Comodo gave a malware alert and I could see any average user hitting deny. Although there have been a few instances of this happening with complex classical HIPS like System Safety Monitor and ProSecurity the problems were easily rectified, but not so with Comodo, especially this one. Once again as one of the Comodo Moderators has stated, this problem needs to be addressed and I feel very soon. I can live with the toolbar controversy, but not with the worry of "accidently" getting locked out of my PC.

http://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/xp_sp2_bsod-t23334.0.html

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I didn't get to read the article yet but will.

HIPS like SSM, EQS, and a others offer a way out and ALL these types should IMO.

In the wrong user's hands or with the wrong answer almost anything disrupting is possible.

btw, i just updated COMODO D+ myself on one of my test drives, although it seems ok, it takes a few more answers then i normally enjoy with the likes of a EQS for one, and the loading stage is showing me signs of delay which Kerio 2.15 is instantaneous, and some of us live in the fast lane when it comes to the PC.

If it don't fly, i can't buy. Slow is no go for me.

19. colinp

colinp Registered Member

I posted on the Avast forum that I had an issue with Avast doing a program update on May 20. The computer would not get past the wallpaper loading, then it would stop dead. I did a restore point back to the day earlier, and it booted fine, until Avast tried an update. I then uninstalled OA and put back on an old friend, Kerio 2.15 (actually haven't used it since 2003 and found it on an old archive disk I had in a dusty old drawer).
    The problem, as far as I could figure out was that OA would not allow avast to load, and since windows hadn't got to the point of allowing any alerts, would stop dead. An issue as to which security program would load first.
    I am certain that I could have uninstalled OA, and then re-installed it when windows booted. Another work around would have been to have OA in learning mode.
    However, I can foresee this as an ongoing issue with all sorts of security programs as they become so secure that it becomes too easy to "break" something.
    The old KISS solution seems to be almost extinct, so I will run XP as LUA with SuRun and SRP, Avast and Kerio and leave it at that. The bottom line is that most threats are user installed anyways.

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.