comodo with windows remote desktop failing?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by kevinz, Feb 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevinz

kevinz Registered Member

Wondering if anyone is using comodo on a computer you have remote desktop connected to on the same local network?

I have posted this to their forum, but figured id see if anyone here has used the setup here as well. Basically <paste from other post>

I am running the firewall and defense+ on a XP Pro SP3 computer which i am connecting through remote desktop from another XP Pro SP3 computer on the same local network. Both are fresh formats, nothing else weird running that should conflict.

Finding 2 issues when i do this. Defense+ while set in Safe Mode is being totally disabled without notification to me when connected through remote desktop. When i log back in on the machine directly, it seems to turn back on instantly. Nothing changes. I go back and remote connection from the local network and it still says enabled but does nothing. lets everything pass, no warnings, no blocks. As if it was shut off/disabled. If i go back and try to do that exact same thing i did while remote connected, and defense+ will popup and ask if i want to allow it. Even though a second ago it let the same action pass with no warning/block from the remote connection.

The firewall does remain functioning, minus the fact i do not get the notifications on the remote connected computer. so it's all just blocked. but at least it's running.

or if anyone has any suggestions on other products. I really like comodo firewall and defense+, but as of now i can't seem to get them to work.

Thanks

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I might be wrong, but, I believe there's nothing one can do, but the developers themselves.

As far as I see it, it is a design related problem.

I couldn't find it now, but, at COMODO's forum, some days ago, I found a thread where a user was asking why Defense+ wouldn't alert him, while entering one system across his network. Something like that.

I think he/she was, even, able to totally disable Defense+, from across the network. I don't remember the exactly details, or if I am giving some wrong information. But, if not this way, pretty much.

I know this doesn't exactly help you out, but, I just think is something they need to work on.

Regards

P.S: Perhaps, someone else can't give a better answer.

3. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I hope that 3xist might answer quickly :rolleyes:

4. agagouga

agagouga Registered Member

@kevinz
    I have a similar configuration with you, but not any problem like yours o_O
    At the remote pc, D+ is at safe mode & the user is admin type

5. kevinz

kevinz Registered Member

agagouga,

thanks for the reply.. when you remote connect to the other computer. do you get the firewall popups? in my case the firewall is still working but i will not get the popups on the remote connection. i have to go back to the computer directly.

but d+ while it says its still in safemode(on both computers actually)will let me do/install/run whatever i want on the remote computer and that is what is really bothering me since i cannot figure out what would allow that :/

6. agagouga

agagouga Registered Member

(edited)
    Here everything works as expected. firewall pop-ups appear & D+ works also. Here is my configuration:

The remote pc's CIS Firewall is at Custom Policy Mode. First of all, remove at the firewall all comodo's predefined Global-Rules except ICMP block and all Applications rules except CIS Security. Then add rules for svchost.exe & System (TCP IN allow for IP=client viewer).
    Configuration=Proactive mode, D+ = safe mode, all D+ monitor settings checked. Disable at D+ the "digitally signed from trusted vendors". At Image execution set to Normal, BO enabled, and at "Files to check" add executables and temporary files. It is so stable that i did the 2 updates (CIS 3.5 -> CIS 3.8 -> CIS 3.8.xxx.471) through the remote desktop viewer, with no problem.

Did you tried the diagnostics tool? Also try to set D+ to paranoid mode. After all, I suggest you to try an uninstall/clean install at the remote pc locally (not through remote desktop). Where is your post at the comodo forums?
    Good luck

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  7. kevinz

kevinz Registered Member

Thank you very much for the detailed post, I will be trying this tonight when I get a chance.

My post over there is: http://forums.comodo.com/install_setup_configuration_help/remote_desktop_defense_failing_firewall_no_alerts-t35126.0.html

thanks again, appreciate the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.