COMODO WANTS 'OK' TO CHANGE boot.ini FILE!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by cortez, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cortez

cortez Registered Member

WOW. Why would the newer (3.0.14.27_XP_VISTA.exe) COMODO want an OK to edit the boot.ini file?

Does Microsoft have the boot.ini file call home as it does when one uses Windows Explorer? If it does, I can not think of any reason to do so.

EDIT: Now that I think of it perhaps this is how Microsoft keeps tab on how many "ME", "NT" and other older Microsoft OS's are still being used (?).

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Missed your medication, didn't you?

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Window explorer to call home? Probably yes:

Each time when I do a search, firewall with network control feature will alert me of such a request from window explorer.

What hack does search have anything to do with window explorer's calling home? I just deny it and ask firewall to remember it. Nothing has crippled. All is well.

4. cortez

cortez Registered Member

Perhaps I should get me some!!

Since yesterday Comodo does not boot up at all.

Must be a bad install (I installed it last night).

EDIT #2 I had Symantec firewall installed with it's anti virus which I had to manually remove due to uninstall problems ( going thru the registry is murder---trying to figure out what is tied into what ect. before deleting something). I think I must have make a mistake which kept Comodo from installing correctly.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  5. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I thought that its because windows explorer can be used as a browser.You can just type an address in address bar and it will show like a browser.I guess to do that it need browser activity too?
    ellison

6. cortez

cortez Registered Member

I did not know that-- might come in handy at times.

Thanks for the info.

7. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i actually saw something from microsoft i have no idea what it is but it kept asking for a outbound connection through kis.. ive since banned it and have not seen it ask again wish i knew exactly what it was

8. cortez

cortez Registered Member

I know what you mean. I also have reflexively 'banned' outgoing connections with out writing them down so that I could at least find out if it was a "friendly".

So many applications want to touch base with their servers for marketing purposes it seems. I do not consider this an outgoing 'friendly'.

I have noticed ( or imagined) that many software products need to make a connection to uninstall correctly ( which is a real pain when you are off line and end up manually uninstalling their application ).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.