Comodo V3.0 alpha is out

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by chaos16, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

2. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

cool, as soon as I have backuped my sys, I will check it.

3. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Pics now! Not the one that was out already, we need new pics !o_O

4. zorro zorrito

zorro zorrito Registered Member

Yeah, we want to know what´s new in comodo firewall 3 and some pictures, thanks.

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

OK, here we go. The "summary" window:

Clipboard01.jpg

Firewall - common tasks and advanced setup:

Clipboard02.jpg

Clipboard03.jpg

You can now create preconfigured rulesets for web, email, ftp so you can refer to a ruleset when prompted (something like in Jetico).The firewall is fully functional. There are other features that are missing...

Application and IP (global) rules, separated in tabs:

Clipboard07.jpg

6. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Creating port sets

Clipboard09.jpg

Defense+ (HIPS)

Clipboard04.jpg

Clipboard05.jpg

Full name is COMODO Firewall Pro v1.0.0.0. The install package is (a bit) smaller than 2.4 version. Installation is identical (only colors are different), passed fine, rebooted. I installed on fresh XP (updated + drivers), and I do remember 2.4 gave me a little delay on bootup, but not this firewall, all went smooth and without any delay. It seems pretty stable, although I didn't throw anything heavy on it yet (like P2P). Two processes (the same as in v2), around 3-4 megs each, very light. There is a "COMODO Firewall Pro Helper Service" in services. No network slowdowns, no system impact. There is password protection now. Many functions are disabled (like stealth configuration, updates, diagnostics) and the help is missing, so there is no much practical use for this product in this stage. But if you consider that only 10 files are installed in program folder, that's understandable. I admit that I didn't like v2, but I'm starting to like this. Very promising, good job Comodo. Well, that's about it for now, we'll see later.

Oh yes, this is the taskbar icon (no animation there).

Clipboard08.jpg

Cheers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  7. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Thanks Nick for posting the pics. Looks interesting and has a lot more features than 2.4. It's a totally different animal. I wish they would ditch the green thou :cautious:. How do you like the 'view firewall events' and 'view active connections'? I hope those features are improved/working with this version. That is one thing that 2.4 lacked. I'm a bit of a newbie, but I like to see my connections and I like good logging.

Cheers, innerpeace

8. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

hope they can roll out alpha's for vista soon..

9. probprince

probprince Registered Member

Agreed sir. Maybe get back to the bluish theme. But the interface looks sexy. Hope it's as powerful as it looks. But I'd rather have a lean machine without bugs than a feature-loaded app that's bloated. I'm excited about this. :thumb:

10. zorro zorrito

zorro zorrito Registered Member

11. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

The Seer did u say that v3.0 doesn't stealth all the ports?

as you stated here "Many functions are disabled (like stealth configuration, updates, diagnostics) and the help is missing, so there is no much practical use for this product in this stage"

12. SFC

SFC Registered Member

Pretty low memory usage. Using 8MB here.

13. greenhatch

greenhatch Registered Member

It looks good but also more complex than current version 2.4. I reckon the average user might need to be quite skilled to be able to use it properly. That would let me out heh.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

GUI is neat but a bit washed out!

15. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

Put all the advanced options on.

Open:

- ftp
    - irc/chat
    - web
    - mail
    - some rss/tickers
    - p2p / 700-1000 half-open conns

Let it rip for 3-8 hours.

Check mem / cpu again.

I think there'll be a noticeable difference.

Not that it's necessarily unforgivable. Advanced features come with advanced requirements :)

16. awsomaha

awsomaha Registered Member

I'm currently running the alpha and let me say, I'm impressed. As far as the washed out green, looks like when they release it you will be able to change the themes.

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U means support for skins? It will be really nice.
    BTW it seems to have a lot of features.
    File protection
    Registry protection etc
    Are there any policy restrictions( sandboxning)?

18. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

I read on their forums that there will be skins to choose from, not bad!! So far I like the look, and can't wait to have it on my computer when it's out of alpha and beta!:D :D

19. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Comment:

Well, it certainly looks interesting. I will install onto a VM to play.

20. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

indeed interesting. i wonder if this means there is sandboxing :eek:
    The help files are not implemented yet, but one can start dreaming :)

Attached Files:

21. SpookyET

SpookyET Guest

I tried to test it with P2P. Few DPC CPU usage, unlike Kaspersky. However, I couldn't get incoming connections to work. Even if the rule was there, it would block uTorrent inbound unless I set it into Allow All (all applications).

I set it to allow all outbound TCP & UDP for uTorrent to any IP and port. I set it to allow all incoming from any IP and port TCP & UDP to the uTorrent's listening port. It didn't worked. It kept blocking it.

22. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Untitled.jpg

I had to make a global IP rule to forward the port, then it worked. Due to network SPI, that port is blocked (according to logs) when not using P2P. BTW, the logs have some issues. In detailed view, my internal IP is reversed to "4.0.0.10".

No, there is an option in firewall settings "Stealth configuration wizard" which is not functioning (like many others). I haven't tested it for "stealth" yet, I would have to install it on a different PC to check that. But I'm sure it can be configured to be "stealth" if it's not out-of-the-box already.

Cheers.

23. SpookyET

SpookyET Guest

SPI? I don't know what that means. I've had the same problem with the current version of Comodo (2.4). I've never had problems configuring firewalls before, not Eset's, not Kaspersky's, not Windows', not Jetico, etc.. I don't know why Comodo is giving me such trouble.

By the way, there is a tool called Slipfest, by France Telecom, used to test HIPS. Comdo's HIPS isn't that steller. That tool can do a lot of things. Comodo does not stop it.

24. SpookyET

SpookyET Guest

I never understood why security product vendors insist on skinning their apps. No skinned app looks better than a native app. Some are uglier than others. I was actually surprised by Eset Smart Security. Though, it's skinned, it looks pretty good, which is a total 180 turn from the current interface. Kaspersky went from a good-looking, native interface (v5, v6) to a skinned app in v7. It looks pretty bad. Comodo's skin is extremely ugly. The colour scheme is just terrible.

25. Seer

Seer Registered Member

SPI - when a packet arrives from the Internet, the firewall must decide if it should be forwarded to the internal network. In order to accomplish this the firewall "looks" to see what connections have been opened from the inside of the network to the Internet. If there is an opened connection that corresponds to the packet that has arrived from the Internet then it will be allowed through, otherwise it will be rejected.
    I am not an expert on Comodo, but I think that it's IP rules work as a sort of software router. You have to forward a port just like on a router.

Try to put Defense+ in maximum security mode. It can be very informative/annoying. I tried to knock some leaktests against it and it passed them all. Not the Screenshot2 of AKLT though...

Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.