Comodo Time Machine users, is really good or is buggy?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by mantra, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi

i know comodo makes great software but often they buggy

what's about Comodo Time Machine ?

is really good ? efficacious, effective

is really better then restore point ? or is good like similar, analogue, software

thanks
    cheers

2. burebista

burebista Registered Member

I was VERY pleased with it but unfortunately it's development stops and it's not compatible with my SSD TRIM. :(
    But be aware that things can go hairy. There are some horror stories on their forum about complete data loss so it's better to have a fresh HDD image before installing CTM.

3. guest

guest Guest

I never seen any problem. But mbr corruption is known problem.
    They dont release new version for long time.

I think Todo backup,True image or similar software are better than ctm.

4. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Totally ruined all my data last time I tried (which was over a year ago). Thanks but no thanks.

5. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Agreed. It seems to be an inherent risk of ISR programs like CTM that are based on a disk sector mapping approach. I rather like the approach that Returnil are taking with their Multi-Snapshot utility, which uses the same underlying technology as RVS and RSS, rather than disk sector mapping. It looks like Returnil Multi-Snapshot might be quite promising when it comes out of beta.

6. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    i will stay away
    but is there a program like comodo time machine free trusty?

7. doktornotor

The original MacOS one from Apple... (Yeah, probably not useful for you, I know :D)

Frankly, for normal usage, there is VSS bundled with Windows. For disaster recovery, regular backups and images should do the job. I find this kind of SW to be a bit of an overkill plus rather intrusive in general.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Seems CTM is dead.

9. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

Might wanna check out the Paragon Facebook giveaway ongoing now until April 22. Paragon System Backup 10. May be enough for your needs. CTM development is frozen now. RollBackRX is better.

10. doktornotor

Indeed. ;)

11. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

I've never used it but from what I have seen on various blogs, etc., I would stay away or use caution. This is especially true since development and support is dead for it, which means no more updates as OSes progress and no one to get help from outside of fellow users.

12. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Even giving CTM the benefit of any doubt as to its stability, why go with a dead-end program? Comodo has stopped development and support (supposedly the result of legal action brought by the developers of Rollback Rx & EAZ-FIX)!

Aaron

13. mantra

mantra Registered Member

but it's an image software

14. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I've been using it on a six year old XP desktop and on a Vista laptop for 15 months. It has saved me from countless bad installs and "mystery" ailments. I can't even express how much I appreciate it. Here are my recommendations should you try it. I never have more than three snapshots available. Not sure that makes any difference or not. I only keep that many because I only want to go back to the last point all was fine - one hour or one day. I take one or two snapshots/day or before installs or updates, delete snapshots to stay at three or less and then use the built in defrager. I uninstall monthly, and this is very important, using CTM's uninstaller only, defrag, then image with Paragon, then reinstall CTM. Fifteen months ago I uninstalled AyRecovery with Revo and completely nuked the laptop. I had a Paragon image though. I had a difficult time getting into the BIOS (I wasn't familiar enough with my Acer) but after I finally did I was able to boot with a disk and my Paragon image had an image of the MBR too. I restored and all was fine. I would love to say just image first and try it but I'm not qualified enough to make that statement.

15. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    where does it store snapshot?

16. Buster_BSA

Buster_BSA Registered Member

17. Aaron Here

Hi Buster,

Interesting test, but while you indicated that CTM (along with EF and RB) "Fails to restore the system", some important test details are missing (i.e., what exactly was done in attempting to restore the system)? Did you rollback to a prior snapshot, the baseline snapshot, or what? :doubt:

Aaron

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  18. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

:D Comodo Buster nah don't think so, I also have a tip for your website (text is currently a bit over the top IMO)

I would change the text. I value your program and understand what you are intending to say, but the limitation ".. be as good or bas as their designers did it .." applies to you as well. Your 'as good as designed' limitation is even worse considering the fact that you do not have a stand alone analysis tool, but are dependant on Sandboxie as a host to run it (so you inherit the design limitations of Sandboxie as well).

Regards Kees

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  19. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I've used it for 8-months or so,never an issue :thumb:

20. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Can't it be both?

21. Buster_BSA

Rollback software discard changes made to system after a reboot, so that´s what I (and other people that made same test) did to restore the system.

Maybe do you need to make the test yourself to believe the information that appears in that post?

22. Buster_BSA

http://bsa.isoftware.nl/frame4.htm

"Limitations:

Buster Sandbox Analyzer's limitations are imposed by Sandboxie's limitations, and of course, by my own limitations as malware analyzer and programming coder."

Seems like you didn´t read everything. ;)

23. guest

guest Guest

is it serious limitation for malware analysis?

24. Buster_BSA

No, it´s not because dropping a driver to disk is a good evidence of malware behaviour, not to mention the changes made to registry to load the driver when Windows boots.

25. Aaron Here

Buster,

I took the liberty of embolding the portion of your statement that is simply incorrect (and probably the reason CTM, Eaz-Fix and Rollback Rx failed the test)! :eek:

Point of Fact: Just rebooting an 'ISR' program (such as CTM, EF, or RB) does nothing to change the existing system! In order to discard changes that occur in your current snapshot you must 'rollback to a prior snapshot'.

Therefore, insofar as the tested 'ISR' programs go, I can only conclude that your test was faulty!!!

Aaron

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.