comodo sandbox elevating privelege

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by neji19, Oct 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neji19

neji19 Registered Member

I have used the latest version of comodo firewall and it works perfectly with my system and no compatibility problems. I use it because i think it's the best firewall as of now, and it's very easy to use and configure, by the way i'm an average computer user. I always use a limited account in my windows xp, as my first line of defense in windows security, and i also use surun if i have an application that requires adminitrative privilege. What i notice when i used comodo firewall, is that i can use an application in my limited account that requires an administrator privilege by simply putting these applications in "always sandbox" option in defense+ tab, even though i do not elevate this applications using surun. Is this normal in comodo sandox to elevate an application in a limited account. Thanks

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Did you run it as an administrator after entering your password? Check the process with task manager, then show processes from all users (admin/service level) to see if it's really elevated.

3. neji19

neji19 Registered Member

Nope, i did not run it as an administrator. To verify my observation, i uninstall surun in my windows xp, so there's no reason for my applications that needs admin rights to run under limited account. After i uninstall surun, i try to launched my applications that needs admin rights in my limited account, and as expected, of course it will not run because i uninstalled surun in my system. But, when i start to put those applications that needs admin rights under comodo sandbox(manual), to be specific, when i put those applications that needs admin rights in "always sandbox" options with limited restriction level in defense+ tab, under computer securiy policy, i can now use those applications without a problem under limited account, even though i already uninstalled surun in my system. My real question is why i can use these applications that needs admin rights under limited account, without surun installed, by simply putting it in comodo sandbox(manual) with limited restriction level?

4. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

The way I see it is that when running within the manual sandbox you're not actually accessing the "real" system just a virtualised copy,therefore there's no need for the program itself to have Admin privileges as long as CIS has the required rights to redirect any calls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.