Comodo Questions

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by EddieT.H., Oct 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EddieT.H.

EddieT.H. Registered Member

Hello, I am a new member of this forum and i got a couple of programs that were GREAT from this forum. But i have a question about CPF, How do you disable file sharing, like in zone alarm you can block file sharing in netowork. I searched on the comodo's forum but couldnt find anything and solutions. I also searched here but couldn't find anything...maybe i am searching wrong.
    Thank you,
    EddieT.H.

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello EddieT.H., Welcome to Wilders.

I no longer install this firewall, and cannot remember if there is an actual setting to allow/deny NETbios (filesharing).

You could ask over at the Comodo forums

Regards,
    Stem

3. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

4. EddieT.H.

Hello and thank you but i still could not find the soution. Does it have to do something ports?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
  5. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

That is an interesting comment Stem!

6. EddieT.H.

Should i go back to ZA since it is more simple todisable file sharing.....I like comodo over ZA but thats the oneflaw i have....
    Thank you..
    Eddie

7. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

Assuming you do mean Windows file sharing and not P2P file sharing, please clarify if you mean P2P.

No expert here, but I believe these Remote: 137-139, outbound, local ports: Any, UDP taken from a Kerio fw ruleset, could be used. The specific notation in Comodo will be slightly different, but the principle setup should be the same. You would just use the "Port Range" option in Comodo. You could likely - and probably should - do the same for ports 135 & 445. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you want to shut off file sharing for various O/S's, try this link:

http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/msfileshar.shtml

Scroll about halfways down for the info.

This little app: http://www.firewallleaktester.com/wwdc.htm is also excellent for blocking those ports and other common trojan-targeted ports.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  8. cothm

cothm Registered Member

stem you said you no longer download Comodo. why?

9. EddieT.H.

I dont do p2p and are those the only ports?
    Thanks

10. lookcity

lookcity Registered Member

Security -> Tasks -> Add / Move /Modify a Zone
    Keep here NO zone name (==blank) maybe the answer.

11. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Yes, windows file sharing will not work, when ports 137,138,139 are blocked.
    Comodo does not allow NetBIOS by default unless you would allow it yourself.
    Info from itsmej post in the pcflank's forum about NetBIOS's ports 137/138/139:
    Code:
    137 - NetBios Name Service: allows any search of a PC, without any IP address.
    138 - NetBios Datagram Service: used to broadcast data on the network (only UDP protocol on this port).
    139 - NetBios Session Service: this is the one used by 2 PCs when they communicate together. For instance if you explore any PC shares, communications will go through port 139 (Printer, Folders). Only TCP protocol on this one.

12. Clweb

Clweb Registered Member

No, Stem said he no longer installs Comodo !
    Maybe it has to do with ethical concerns, but I don't want to reopen flames.

13. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Aggressive installation/ compatability problems,...... but please stay on thread topic.

@EddieT.H.
    Ports used for NETbios/filesharing,... as mentioned: 137-139 / 445
    The WWDC program linked to by "cprtech" will close these ports for you, without the need to make changes yourself to the system

14. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

What do you mean by aggressive installation? Does that mean the program makes an extremely large number of modifications to your Operating System? Or does it require a lengthy process to uninstall all program remnants?

15. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I did find when I uninstalled Comodo that there were about 24 entries that would not remove either direct in the registry or using registry cleaners such as RegSeeker. Many of them were legacy entries and i do not know why they were there or their purpose, but took a lot of reading to get rid of them. For all I know they could be innocent but when I unintall a program I want it out completely.

16. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I noticed that other programs have also left quite a bit of "debris" when you uninstall them. :cautious:

17. EddieT.H.

I tried using WWDC but it froze my NOD32 at startup and it caused some problems....

18. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I do not know software, which does not leave some junk, that would be an ideal software. [​IMG]

19. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

Eddie, Did you use it to close only these ports?

Is this something you want done on a pc that is stand-alone or used on a LAN? If on a LAN, are you just trying to close those ports to certain hosts?

20. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Yes that is quite true, but I do want to get rid of security apps that I no longer want.

21. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

To get rid of a program (Comodo) completely try this.

Get Total Uninstall. Run Total Uninstall. Tu will first take a snapshot of ur pc and then launch the comodo setup.exe.When the installation is complete Tu will take another snapshot of your pc.

When u want to get rid of comodo u first uninstall via add/remove, u reboot and uninstall via Tu.

That way it should be gone for good. Remember to close all of the apps u have running while u do all this.

Hope it helps;)

22. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Your Uninstaller can do the job too, much better than the standard removal tool of Microsoft.

23. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Could we all stay on topic please.

Hi EddieT.H.,
    Which ports did you close with WWDC.
    If you closed port 135, then this could cause problems due to the schedular service being stopped.

You can re-run WWDC to re-open any ports you have closed,... so dont worry, the changes you would of made are not permanent.

24. EddieT.H.

Well, i only want it for my PC. so i only use the WWDC to close 137-139 plus 445?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  25. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

If you are still having problems, then use the WWDC tool to allow port 445, as you may require the RPC locator service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.