Comodo Pro taking longer to activate during start up

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by cheater87, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Sometimes it takes so long that the "You don't have your firewall active" message pops up. Does anyone else have this problem?

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Re: Comodo Pro taking longer to actiate during start up

Nope. That looks strange. What other startup programs do you have?

3. cheater87

New version of Avast, Spyware Guard, Prevx.

4. Ghost_ARCHER

Ghost_ARCHER Registered Member

I used sygate, zonealarm, and comodo before, all starts slow occasionly. Seems the main problem is related to too many startup process, especially some big one like bitdefender. Now I use jetico + avs, it starts much faster.

5. buttoni

buttoni Registered Member

Yes, Cheater, I too have been experiencing the "Your firewall is turned off" pop-up from Windows Security Center for a few seconds at boot up since my uninstall of Comodo 2.3.xx and clean install of Comodo FW Pro 2.4 this week (got tired of waiting for the overloaded servers to d/l the newer version). I too have the newest version of Avast4 Home. By the time my CounterSpy has booted up, the message disappears and Comodo has booted up "up & running". I assume it's the age-old problem in Windows of all start-up programs "fighting to get turned on first" syndrome. :) So I assume the message is Windows only way to tell me no firewall is "open & running" yet.

I just ignore it now, because my DSL modem/router has a hardware FW built in to protect me from incoming attacks and I have set my Comodo Advanced settings to Block All Outgoing Connections During Boot Up. And we're only talking 4-5 seconds here, in my situation. But I only have the three programs loading at startup.

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Nope. My CPF comes up first in line at start up. I only have a few apps starting on start up, so maybe as mentioned above that's your problem. Question: Didn't CPF have a conflict issue with Avast a while back? I seem to remember reading about it in the Comodo forum.

7. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

You need to disable some programs from auto startup, for the sake of your cpu useage, a rule of thumb is to not have more than 12 programs active to load at startup, Of course there are those, (and you know who you are :cautious: ) that have 30 or more running, its a wonder you pc hasnt exploded :p

8. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Just a bit curious, how do you come to the conclusion that 12 is the limit? isn't it more like what type of software in the autostart that matters? I happen to have 12 programs (for now)

As for topic, the latest version of Comodo does take longer to activate for me too. I have gone back to the beta build 111, I noticed that the latest version grinded my hard drive too much for my taste.

9. cheater87

I also stopped superantispyware from starting up on start up

10. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I have 13, of which Acronis takes 3 (timountermonitor.exe not needed, otherwise Acronis would take 4). I am shortly going to replace Sygate PF with Comodo - can someone please tell me how many start up entries Comodo is responsible for ? Is it only CPF.exe ?

BTW. Have disabled Windows Security Center in Services. Not really necessary if you are the only user and are aware of what has loaded... :p

11. docfleetwood

docfleetwood Registered Member

I too have this problem and only since the update. I am hard-pressed to believe it is due to having too many startup items since it has only occurred after the update and not with a previous version. I do not use the avast software so it is not due to a conflict with that.

12. Davidpr

Davidpr Registered Member

Could it be a conflict with different HIPS functions?

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Comodo won't have HIPS until version 3. My CPF loads first and takes a few seconds.

14. cheater87

Even after disabling Superantispyware from starting up at start up it still pops up.

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

What pops up the splash screen? There's an option to stop that too, along with the option to not start at start up.

16. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.