Comodo Pro 3.0 vs. Jetico 2.0.0.35 vs. Outpost Pro 4.0.1025.700!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by CoolWebSearch, Oct 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

Personally,I consider these 3 firewalls the most secure right now(and Kaspersky Internet Security,too).
    The only firewall I can't really comment is Look'n'Stop,since I didn't use it so far.
    Stem said regarding packet-filtering rules Jetico2 and Look'n'Stop are truly the most configurable.

How secure is an packet-filtering firewall?
    As far as I know application level firewalls are suppose to be the most secure?
    What about SMI (SMI=stateful multilayer inspection) firewalls are Jetico2,Comodo Beta 3 and 2.4 and Outpost Pro.
    What are the advantages of each of these firewalls?

As far as I know,Jetico2 isn't application level firewall or SMI firewall either,that's why I don't know why people consider it more secure than the other firewalls mentioned.

Sure,with SMI firewall you have greater control,but once you configure are you safer/more secure than with application level firewalls?

In what areas Outpost Pro has the advantage over Jetico2,Comodo Pro 3.0 beta(and final) and Look'n'Stop?

On this website author has compared both Jetico 2.0.0.10 Beta and Outpost Pro 4.0:
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Jetico-Personal-Firewall-And-Outpost-Firewall-Pro-37417.shtml
    Please,read the conclusion.
    Author basically says that If you value simplicity and don't want to spend money on such a program, then Jetico is the way to choose, but if you're one of those that like to have everything and a little more, no matter the price, Outpost is the right choice. No matter what you choose, take care and stay safe!

Any opinions,please?

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Jetico will bind applications to packets. This is why ICS will not work unless you disable the SPI.

Such comparisons should never be made between a very early beta(Jetico) and a full release(Outpost). Jetico2 is currently on "build 35"

When you look at outpost, you are also looking at the "plugins", such as content filtering. There is actually nothing in outpost that a user could not constuct themselves with free applications. Such as a browser will "noscript"/"refcontrol", a free firewall~ such as Jetico1/Kerio2 (for application/packet filtering), then add such as "Proximotron"

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Somethings about Jetico:

*It does have SPI (stateful packet inspection)
    *It has a packet filter and application control
    *Jetico does very well against leaktests
    *Version 2 is not free and I do not consider it so simple

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I found ver 2 easier to use than ver 1. That said, perhaps I was "out to lunch" when trialing ver 1 :D

5. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

Ok,but I have a couple of questions:
    1.If an firewall is extremely configurable,does it mean it's more secure(or thaT IT CAN be more secure) than less configurable firewalls?
    Personally,I don't think configurable firewalls are that good-basically you need to configure everything from scratch to be secure,while firewalls like ZoneAlarm Pro are already pre-configured-which means you don't have to do anything at all!
    And I don't understand how can Jetico 2.0.0.36 be more secure than Zone Alarm Pro or Outpost Pro?
    Even in ZoneAlarm Pro you have the option to kill malware processes!
    Jetico2 sure has it too,but the MAIN POINT IS:
    Jetico2 is not anymore secure since you have to configure it manually to have more secure computer,but with ZoneAlarm Pro you already protected against all,and you don't need to waste time to configure protection in ZA Pro.
    ZoneAlarm Pro and Outpost Pro are more secure than Jetico2-so far my experience has shown.

I simply don't see Jetico2 better than ZA Pro or Outpost Pro,neither Comodo is better than ZA Pro or Outpost Pro.

6. Diver

Diver Registered Member

The real problem with a highly configurable firewall is the possibility that the user will screw it up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.