Comodo Internet Security - Good for anyone?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Tyrizian, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I use Comodo Internet Security and know my way around it quite well, so the question isn't for me.

Ok, so I help people repair and install (Software or Hardware) on their computers.

When adding protection to their system I either put Avast or Bitdefender Free.

Do you think Comodo Internet Security is suitable for the average person? Of course this is after I have properly configured everything for them.

I think it has reached the point to where it's ready for all users

I dunno, I was thinking about switching it up for my clients and put that on there instead of Avast or Bitdefender Free.

What is your view on this, do you think Comodo Internet Security has reached the point where it is suitable for everyone?

2. southcat

southcat Registered Member

IMHO, CIS is good enough for many people already. But i would still advise to install Avast free because its modules like:

1) Web Shield - HTTP protection. Scans URLs and incoming data for viruses, and aborts connections to the site if one is found.

2) Script Shield -Scans webpages for malicious scripts, and disables them from infecting your computer.

which can provide additional protection for surfing.

You might wanna consider more on front line protection like browser security and protection.

Regards

3. No, it is not suitable. Comodo is not for novice users. It's detection rate is sub par, and it's firewall is too complicated for every day users.

4. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

I say yes. Good detection rates, quiet firewall, and autosandbox is very good.

5. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

this, and the default-deny, auto-sandboxing of everything is a pita to developers and if you use many software. You'll end up always clicking 'ok' and 'allow' to everything until you accidentally allow malware, because with comodo the antivirus is you.

6. KelvinW4

Incorrect. In version 6, HIPS is disabled, and firewall is very quiet, and autosandbox will not need any prompt.

7. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

I haven't tested version 6, this is good news.

8. KelvinW4

Definitely:thumb: Many changes compared to last!:thumb:

9. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Comodo in default config gives less pop-ups than OA or Outpost.

10. spywar

spywar Registered Member

I did not have 1 alert from HIPS since October (first V6 beta)...
    Only 2/3 legit apps sandboxed I left them on sandbox to see and they worked well ...
    To reply to the main question, I'd say yes, V6 is suitable for average user with default settings.

11. dbrisendine

dbrisendine Registered Member

This gives an excellent guide to installing and configuring the latest version of CIS (v6); very few (if any) popups and tight silent security (for 99% of users):

How to Install Comodo Firewall

(know it says Firewall but is really the entire suite)

12. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Yes, CIS 6 is the first version that I think is easy, effective & recommended for average/majority/any type of users. This is the first CIS version that I have started recommending to users, especially average/majority.

The default settings of CIS 6 is the best for average users in my honest opinion.

There are no popups now in default settings except 1 popup. You only get a popup for Unknown Installers with Default mentioned for Run In Sandbox on the popup. And no probs with programs with default CIS settings.

I have 3 Win 7 64 & 1 XP 32 systems at home, users of all the systems are average. I have installed CIS 6 in default settings with few basic changes on all the systems & periodically check the systems & CIS 6. I installed CIS 6 on all the systems the day CIS 6 was released. Till date no program was autosandboxed & no probs with any programs on all the systems & no FPs or malware on the systems. All the programs used by average users on all the systems were either in local TVL or Cloud Whitelists.

The basic changes I did with CIS on all the systems ---

Advanced Settings ---

General Settings -
    User Interface - Show Notification Messages & Enable Password Protection options are ticked, all others unticked.
    Updates - AV updates set to 1 Hour.

Security Settings -
    Antivirus -
    Scan - Unticked Scheduled Scans

Firewall -
    Firewall Settings - Unticked automatic detection of private networks & trustconnect alerts.

Installed KillSwitch & Virtual Kiosk through CIS GUI. And created a shortcut of Virtual Kiosk on the desktop.

When first time CIS detect malware, realtime scanner or rightclick scan or manual scan it gives popup or geekbuddy popup that mentions 2 options, let me remove malware & get live support to remove malware. This popup can confuse average users & they will unnecessary install geekbuddy.
    So I use harmless sample so that realtime scanner, rightclick scan & manual scan detect the sample & I can disable the popup by checking dont show this popup again & selecting the option let me remove malware.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  13. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Thank you everyone for your input, I'll have to make a decision to see if I want to switch them over or not.

14. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I believe that it is suitable for anyone that wants to use it. I have used it and it is pretty much set and forget.

15. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I hear they have improved the firewall in this version.
    Any details on the improvements at all.?

16. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Wrong.
    They have improved AV, changed UI and enabled full virtualization.

17. The Red Moon

How has the av been improved.?
    So there is no longer a problem with avast webshield then..?
    Good to know thanks.

18. spywar

spywar Registered Member

AV quarantine added in Firewall + Rating Scanning.
    So you can be protected with Comodo cloud using only CFW but you should combine it with another AV such as MSE KingSoft ... or just take CAV/CIS.

19. siketa

siketa Registered Member

They have also made various performance optimizations of the engine.

20. The Red Moon

Yes i noticed also the scans are a lot quicker.Their av could do with being submitted for thorough testing and see how it compares with others.

21. DrBenGolfing

DrBenGolfing Registered Member

Average user sees Comodo's user interface with all the menus, sub-menus, spinning and twirling around, their heads will explode. Comodo is for Wilders geeks and the likes. Keep it simple.

22. spywar

spywar Registered Member

New improvements will come but not in CIS rather in their backed (new Static Detectors to generate signatures the ones already used by valkyrie).

23. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

I would give it a shot, currently im using CIS 6 with Panda URL filter to make up for the lack of a web filter and its a very strong combo

First of all the Antivirus does not have sub-par detection anymore, through testing I have found that it is quite good.

Second, The HIPS and Firewall are very silent in this version unless you set them differently

And I personally have had no problem with the BB yet to speak of.

Cheers

24. The Red Moon

I personally do not need the virtualization aspect of comodo even though its a great addition to the program.
    I use sandboxie to isolate my browser and that is enough for me.
    The comodo av has always been good in my personal experience.
    Not sure if applications can be installed and run within the virtual kiosk,if they can then its a truly wonderful thing.

25. siketa

siketa Registered Member

AV still lacks good generic signatures...that is why its database has over 15M signatures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.