COMODO Internet Security 3.9 BETA then RC Discussion

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ssj100, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssj100

ssj100 Guest

2. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

Re: COMODO Internet Security 3.9.73015.489 BETA Released

Change log? I don't feel like registering.

3. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

Thank you :)

4. Iam_me

Iam_me Registered Member

Great and to come before CIS 3.9 gets out fully: CIMA! :thumb: :thumb:

Anyway, the worse thing you can do here at wilders is to talk good or recommend CIS to anyone. It will result in PURE hate. All people will jump you and tell you that CIS impossible can't be used by anyone since its too complicated.. o_O And various other comments to bash CIS completely. :rolleyes:

As long as its not CIS you can recommend ANYTHING.. PrevX, Outpost, Norton, Bitdefender, Avira, avast, SAS, A2.
    Even recommending Windows own firewall + a virus scanner is better than to recommend CIS.. Even if its far from as comprehensive.. Lol. =S

Not saying those are bad advices.. But as far as you don't say CIS everyone will keep a friendly tone "or you can use bla bla.." Saying use CIS will result in a "you are brainwashed Too complicated try bla bla.. bla bla CIS sucks bla bla"..

I always fail to see why a free product as CIS that actually can catch ALL malwares is such a bad recommendation over something that catches xx%..

Anyway I guess financial interests rule this forum.. =S

5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

looks good :thumb: might try it

6. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Any further details/explanations regarding this?

Thanks.

7. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Quote from Melih:

"it keeps the state of a file as to what we have done with it: for example if we have scanned the file once and it hasn't been modified (cos we check all the File i/o activity to know whether it has been modified or not) then it doesn't scan it. This speeds the whole thing up so nicely.. you will notice it when you launch the browser the 2nd time for example (not the first).."

Basically it only scans altered files during each subsequent scan.

8. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Sounds nice. Not interested in the beta, but will definitely try the final release.

9. andyman35

I've got the beta on and no issues for me,however that shouldn't be seen as a universal endorsement as there are a fair few bugs being reported.

*Edit* The bugs seem to be focused upon the 64bit version on the whole.

10. Smiggy

Smiggy Registered Member

So if you manage to write malware that can recode a file, after infection/manipulation, to apparently show it's original size/date stamp then voila, we have a bypass?!

:doubt:

11. 2good

2good Guest

had it running since last night smooth as hell

12. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Not trying to pass judgment on the quality of this beta; it's just that I have a personal habit of avoiding all pre-release software in general, except for avast! and Opera (who have many years of track record at producing rock-solid alpha/beta versions).

Not really. :cautious:

13. Iam_me

Iam_me Registered Member

I don't think it checks the size/date stamps..
    I think it works with hashes..

The malware would also has to bypass D+. D+ would alarm for every file manipulation if the file is unknown..

And all it might try, change registry bla bla.. It even alert for its execution..
    CIS don't use a Antivirus as a first line of defence anyway..

The whole idea is that D+ picks everything up.. While the AV pick up XX%.. :thumb: :thumb: Also you can still have the AV scan everything every on access if you want.

It only applies to the AV this scan technique.. And only on "on access" scan.. So manual scans will still scan every file..

Also since CIS now got BOClean the files that gets started will get scanned while in memory also against the newest AV definitions.. :thumb: :thumb:

14. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

There are no guarantees once it is executed, but i don't believe they're referring to time stamps. It's Defense+ monitoring in real time.

15. andyman35

I doubt that since the very act of recoding/manipulation would classify as alteration of a file.

16. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Rising also applies this technique (with a time stamp) and it reduces scanning speed dramtically. Also the on-acces scanner should benefit from it (basically when image execution control has stated it i steh same file, you need not check it).

I did not like Comodo v2 because it only told an executable was changed, but Comodo 3.9 sure applies brute force anti malware techniques in a smart way (meaning does not grind your CPU to a halt).

After white and blacklisting, came clean PC, in CIS 3.8 community threat rating, so may be behavioral analysis is next on the release calendar (and sandboxing who knows). Interesting . . .:thumb:

17. andyman35

Comodo were developing a sandbox some time ago,elements of which may well be incorporated into the forthcoming 'time machine'.

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Only problem with Comodo is that they never polish anything. They just impliment new and new stuff and newer finish anything to perfection.
    Especially their GUI is a complete mess. But they don't seem to care about it. :rolleyes:

19. Iam_me

Iam_me Registered Member

The GUI is and has been scheduled a long time to get a lot of MAJOR changes in Version 4. I don't think they don't care, its just a decision to fix all GUI related stuff in version 4, and calling the current GUI "a complete mess" is using a bit too strong words in my opinion. But you have the right to your opinion.

:thumb: :thumb:

20. andyman35

Yes rather than tinker with the GUI,they've gone for a complete overhaul.It can appear that it's always a work in progress but they have a lot of ground to make up on the long established products in a relatively short space of time.

21. Julian

Julian Registered Member

Well, the bug that it takes longer and longer every time u create a rule is fixed, now it feels much lighter and better (was really a cheap and stupid bug...) :)

22. JamesFrance

JamesFrance Guest

In two days it will be exactly 7 months since the first beta of CIS was launched and before that the old av was nowhere.

I realise that some details still need polishing, but the progress has been amazing and that will come later. For now what matters is the level of protection and that is improving all the time.

A favourite word of many here is 'Fanboy' and I would certainly be one of those referred to, but I am a fan of the ambition that Melih has shown to secure the world for free, not of a computer program.

It would be interesting to know how many posters here have any idea how difficult it is to build a company in such a short time from a standing start.

23. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Well, I'm running CIS 3.5.x (No AV) at home and it's going fine. I think it's also where I'll stay. I don't want BOC, I don't want to carry the additional weight of an ever growing AV program/database, I don't want LivePCSupport and so forth. The current version (3.8.x) of the CIS installer has grown to over 45 MB! No offense to anyone who wants "more" CIS but 3.5 is enough for me... :)

24. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's doing one awesome job, but I still can't forget when he went completely OT by going into a topic which was about a D+ alert not being as clear as it should in a serious case (some previous big malware group - don't remember which right now), and he says, with other words "yeah, but the AV detects it, so you're fine". Oh, great, that's nothing to do with it. This was about the alert - we were not even stating that COMODO wasn't protecting against the threat in question, and what if the user don't run the precious AV, but only the respected FW and D+?

Sorry, just had to say this. :D

25. Julian

Julian Registered Member

Do you mean the Conficker issue?
    D+ detected it although the kind of alert was really bad (and still is).

Well, the x64 installer package may be 60MB big but who cares about this? It could use ~200BM ram, would have no problem with it as long as nothing is slowed down. And still CIS is the lightest IS.

You can tick off the AV component during the installation, btw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.