Comodo Incoming?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Calle2006, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calle2006

Calle2006 Registered Member

Friends

I have been asked to look into the Comodo Firewall with the possible intention of recommending that our company's people (non-profit) switches over to Comodo from ZA Free. I read the results of the Matousec leak-tests and they are really favourable to Comodo. I also like the interface and setup of the program.

But one thing is a bit unclear still. That is the question of how well Comodo does in preventing incoming threaths. Are there any good reviews of Comodo where they look at how well Comodo fares with Incoming threaths? An important job of a firewall is also to prevent the bad stuff from "leaking" in, and not only out.

Grateful for comments on this.

Yours
    Calle2006

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

well it passes teh stealth tests at grc.com and pcflank.com. i dont know if thats what u meant.

3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Calle2006, Welcome to Wilders.
    I have not seen any pen-test results for Comodo, and have not made any myself on this firewall. A member may know of some testing?, if not, I will try to find time later, (but my spare time is very short these days).

4. Calle2006

Calle2006 Registered Member

Thanks WSFuser and Stem

I am not in a good position to test Comodo myself, as I am behind hardware firewalls all of the time. But many of our people do have only a ADSL Modem between the Internet and their computer. They need to know if the software firewall does indeed protect them well or not. So, if you hear of some tests where Comodo was one of the tested programs, then please post it.

Thanks a lot
    Calle2006

5. Birdman20

Birdman20 Registered Member

Calle2006,

I think that you'll find that most firewalls do well regarding incoming protection. The debate now-a-days centers around how well they do regarding unauthorized outbound connection attempts and how well they can protect themselves from termination by hostiles. Here's a couple of websites to check out regarding independent testing in these 2 areas.

http://www.matousec.com
    (fairly current leak test results plus lots of other commentary)

http://www.firewallleaktester.com
    (check out Kill (termination) Testing in the left panel, the Leak Test results on this site are old)

One other thing that should be considered is if your users are ready for interaction that may be required to get the outbound protection settings correct. You or they could find themselves responding to a lot of pop-up messages and incorrectly allowing or not allowing outbound connection attempts. The results of this could be allowing malware to connect or killing their internet connection. Using a firewall like ZoneAlarm Free is one option to keep it simple as may be using COMODO with the application monitor turned off.

I think that you'll find that users that do recommend COMODO are savvy enough (or willing to learn) to make the right calls regarding outbound protection. I use COMODO myself on a couple of PC's and endorse it. But for someone like my parents we keep it simple by having them connect through a router (H/W firewall w NAT/SPI) and only have Windows XP Firewall as the software solution on their PC.

AJB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.