Comodo Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by davews, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Hi mirimir,

How much bloated is it? Because I tested it a few months ago and it worked just fine, no 3rd-party software or anything. In fact, I used it along side with Avira Free and MBAM Premium, and performance in games like Battlefield 3 was the same as if I was using bitdefender free.

Wouldn't HIPS+Firewall+Sandbox offer the highest security? Or is there some sort of incompatibility/annoyance between HIPS and the Sandbox?

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Hey, I don't even use Windows, except for testing VPN clients.

My comment was based on what I read in https://code.google.com/p/google-security-research/issues/detail?id=703 and earlier comments in this thread about making it hard to say no to stuff.

3. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Oh, I see. :p OK.

4. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

No incompatibility, as far as I know. But Comodo Sandbox has some bugs - search here in Wilders - and sometimes it could trusts files or others that it should not be allowed, overlapping the HIPS surveillance. I believe that to use onluìy the HIPS, also if a bit boring, ensure a better monitoring and protection.

5. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

@blacknight I see. Would you recommend another free sandbox software that is good in quality and supports +10 sandboxes?

6. blacknight

I don't use sandboxes for a long time; many years ago I used Returnil, a virtualization program, that is not much different, I believe, from Shadow Defender ( this had compatibility issues with Defense+, I don't know now ). Then I used GesWall, a very power software that was discontinued, as many other very good security softwares. Never used Sandboxie. So, sorry but I can't help you.

7. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

No problem :) And thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out. I don't mind using discontinued software (like TrueCrypt).

8. CHEFKOCH

CHEFKOCH Registered Member

What's the problem with Comodos sandbox? Works well here. :cautious:

9. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

I think it's this one:

10. CHEFKOCH

Can't confirm and such statements without proof or attachment to test ourselves makes it impossible to fix.....

But thanks amari :)

11. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

No problem. I can't confirm either, but I won't ignore the possibility :)

12. CHEFKOCH

13. blacknight

Sorry, I read some case here and in the Web, but since I don't use the Sandboxes I don't remember where. Anyway, even if Sandbox was completely sure, I believe that to use only the HIPS and to decide personally on every file, process, activity... is safer.

14. siketa

siketa Registered Member

It is a whitelist problem, not sandbox.

15. davews

davews Registered Member

As the one who started this thread..... I have now uninstalled Comodo and moved over to Windows 10 Firewall Control from Sphinx. Seems to work and a much easier interface.

16. boombaby

boombaby Registered Member

Hello, Any...

I recently posted the following quote about Comodo in another post...

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...ree-vs-windows-firewall-on-windows-10.384511/

but then discovered the long discussion here, so I thought it might have some relevance to anyone else who is reading up on that firewall.

I must add here that I turned off the first two sections because I found that controlling things my way from one section only (ie section 3.) was the easiest way to keep track of "what's what" (ie to understand the detection process). I had the feeling that once I turned ON the other sections my control in section 3 was lost (and unfathomable). So doing that - ie managing control from ONE place - made the other sections redundant (at least for me).

The reason I felt "compelled" to have a bit of input here (ie on Comodo) was because I had tried many, many firewalls before settling on Comodo. In the end I found Comodo (ie with section-3-only enabled) to be exceptional. (However, as I said in the quote (of myself?) I have heard that Windows Firewall is good too (but I haven't used it to confirm that for myself).

Regards,

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  17. CHEFKOCH

18. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Is Comodo firewall ever going to get s Mac version?

19. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Its a powerful firewall with HIPS. Blocks malware threats.

20. Victek

Victek Registered Member

You will have to ask in the Comodo forum for a definitive answer, but I have never heard a word about a Mac version so I doubt it.

21. Special

Special Registered Member

Does anyone know with certainty that v8.4.XXXX of CFW works with the April 11th (in 2 days) Windows 10 Creators Update? Has anyone tested these two together, maybe by trying out the fast ring / slow ring releases MS does. I'd love to know because v10 has a lot of problems at the moment so I don't want to jump ship right now, the plan is to wait for another release or two before jumping ship for them to iron out the many outstanding bugs, so if v8.4 still works with the Creators Update I'm gonna stay with what works for now, Comodo doesn't even offer v8.4 downloads anymore so it's impossible to downgrade to a more stable release if problems arise.

22. Nitty Kutchie

Nitty Kutchie Registered Member

23. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Update for Comodo firewall 10 fixed a memory leak issue that took 100% of CPU and slowed Windows to a crawl.

Now Windows runs smooth and fast.

24. imuade

imuade Registered Member

@cruelsister
    I watched your video about CFW vs. ransomware, very nice indeed :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCOJ1W5GEDo&ytbChannel=cruelsister1

*** Youtube live link de-linked as per Wilders TOS.

About the comment from Jonathan Marlin, I think the problem is that he run apps requiring elevated privileges and CFW on Windows 10 can run them only as Partially Limited, no matter what setting you have.
    That's why on CFW 10 they add the option to treat those apps in a different way (and I personally suggest to set it to block such apps).
    If you use Windows 7 you don't have this problem, that's why in your video everything was fine.

About CCAV, I don't understand what you mean with "gloopy".
    Due to the hundreds of issues CFW 10 had with Windows 10 Creator Updates, I have switched to CCAV + Tinywall and I really like the combo.
    I agree that Comodo AV is not great, but the sandbox in CCAV works quite well (check this thread in Comodo Forum):

https://forums.comodo.com/help-ccav...privileges-t118951.0.html;msg855295#msg855295

25. imuade

imuade Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.