Comodo Firewall & uTorrent

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by jrmhng, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Hi All,

I'm configuring Comodo to work with uTorrent and I can't seem to open up a port using the application rules.

When I've got uTorrent listed as an application to allow all incoming on a particular port, incoming connections are not accepted for uTorrent.

I have to create a global entry to allow incoming traffic on a particular port for uTorrent to work.

Why is this the case? I much prefer to have that port closed and only opened dynamically when uTorrent is running.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
    Jeremy

2. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Actually I've just figured out. FYI It is dynamically created. For a packet to pass through, it must pass through both global and application rules. So both application and global rules must allow it.

3. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I would need to know first the reason why "Protocol Analysis" is an option, and to what this is actually doing?{within Comodo} (I have not installed/looked at the latest versions), but for this to have to be disabled would infer it being active by default.
    Disabling this for such as a need to use P2P, also puts any other active internet application without this filter. Are they saying that such is not actually needed for security? or just a fact that multi connections will slow down P2P apps with such Analysis? If so, then maybe an exclusion per application is needed, rather than such an open exclusion of (possible) protection.

5. Diver

Diver Registered Member

In Comodo 2.4 "Protocol Analysis" is enabled by default. I might be with 2.4 for a while as my impressions of 3.0 are not favorable.

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Stem,

Your remarks make sense, why not post them to the COmodo forum and see what the explanation is on this P2P work around.

It sure looks akward, hey we have got this great feature enabled by default, when you want to use P2P why not de-select it for the complete system?

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello Kees1958,
    No thanks,

8. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I've tried running uTorrent with the Do Protocol Analysis option checked and it doesn't seem to have a major effect on firewall performance.

It was downloading at

uTorrent.jpg

The memory and CPU usage according to Taskman was

uTorrent_2.jpg
    uTorrent_3.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.