Comodo Firewall Updates

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Feandur, Mar 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

Released March 7th, 2014 :

Comodo web site ..... here

Direct link... here -http://download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/3000/standalone/cfw_installer.exe-

Softpedia web site ..... here.

Size: 220M ( 230486360 )
    MD5: bab7ddeda6cf0985ac018de0df506b91

Does not yet appear, ATPIT, on the main web page.

-cheers,
    feandur

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2014
  2. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Re: Comodo Firewall 7.0.313494.4115

Be careful not to install Geekbuddy, Dragon if you don't need them. They are in by default.

3. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

And better - or needed, I don't know but I believe - uninstall previous versions.

4. a256886572008

a256886572008 Registered Member

-http://download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/3000/standalone/cfw_installer_x64.exe-

-http://download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/3000/standalone/cfw_installer_x86.exe-

5. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

:thumb:

6. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

I tend to avoid jumping on updates until after I've had a chance to scope the support forum. But I"m curious if anyone knows when Comodo will be pushing this out as an official update? I've got two big projects to work on this week, so it would be nice schedule accordingly. If not, no worries. I'll just put it off until next week sometime.

7. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Great! :thumb: Been looking for this Firewall\Defence+ only installer as I don't use the AV, nor Dragon!
    I usually find the CFW installer on Major Geeks web site soon after Comodo releases a new version – but not this time. Nor could I find it on any other 3rd party site.
    Softpedia have CIS Premium V7.0.313494.4115 (85.5MBs - actually 99.6MBs on the download) – but this includes the AV.

Have installed CFW 7.0.313494.4115 on both Windows 7 and 8 Pro – running just fine.

8. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

I always prefer to download directly from Comodo. It's probably quicker for you to download the full suite than try to find a cut down download somewhere else. When you install from the full installer there is a 'Customize The Installation' option (at bottom left) which if you click it shows all the separate components such as Firewall, AV, Dragon, GeekBuddy with a check box against each so you can select only the components you want to install.

I'm running the full suite minus GeekBuddy but the FW alone is top notch and runs fine alongside your favorite AV.

9. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Why download a 220MB installer when what you want is contained in a 99.6MB installer? ;)

10. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Yes you have saved some disk space and the few seconds extra it would have taken to download the full suite, I know that. But how many times could you have downloaded the full suite while you were trying to find a FW only installer?

It's your choice to do it the way you want of course. I was simply pointing out that it isn't necessary to look for a installation package that only contains the component(s) you want to install because you can select which components you want during installation. That's why Comodo developed it that way.

11. Techwiz

No sense in arguing over installers. Some people can't be troubled to uncheck boxes. Just look at the division between Adblock Plus and Adblock Edge users. Anyways, I've decided to hold off on manually updating. Look at the support forum and it doesn't look like Comodo has ironed out all the kinks. Also going to avoid third-party installs. Saw a threat suggesting an issue with major geeks.

12. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Thanks for the tips! – but you're assumptions are off the mark - so I'll clarify:

Firstly, disk space doesn't enter the equation – I have a pre-paid broadband service which means I pay up front – so additional (and unnecessary) data is a cost I don't need (particularly when it comes in 100+MB chunks)

Secondly, time factor is irrelevant – when a major CIS release occurs – I simply wait for the appropriate installer to appear before upgrading (There is rarely a compelling need to rush into a new version of whatever!)

Thirdly, I've been using Comodo for several years now – I'm well aware of their release methodology.

13. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Thanks for the lecture. I didn't make any assumptions as a matter of fact. I was simply pointing out that you can select any combination of components from the full suite download. That you pay for broadband in 100+MB chunks was not apparent from your original post.

Perhaps if you had omitted the description of the difficulty you experienced in finding a FW only installer from your original post I could have been spared from trying to help you out. :rolleyes:

Anyway, glad you are happy with the new version.

14. Amin

Amin Registered Member

I'm gonna install CFW 7 on my windows 8.1 pro , any recommendations I'm not aware of ?

btw I'm gonna need download link to the latest version.

Regards,
    Amin

15. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

What are good tweaks for computer novices to have great protection but minimal user-interaction?

16. Cyrano2

Cyrano2 Registered Member

Two tips about Comodo, don't use the AV (there are better options out there) and follow Chiron's guide... ;)

Link: http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-install-comodo-firewall.htm

17. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Comodo's AV has come a long way
    to become a very respectful offer
    recently I even had the AV only

I would install the full suite

18. Cyrano2

Cyrano2 Registered Member

I agree that it's detection capabilities have improved a lot, but it's still slow on and old computer (even though it's better than v6).

19. Eggnog

Eggnog Registered Member

So I finally decided to give Comodo Firewall a try. So far so good. I followed the guide on techsupportalert to set it up and haven't had any problems. It's running quite nicely alongside Bitdefender. I think I've had maybe two popups all day long, one being in the beginning when it wanted to know whether I was on my home network. The other one I can't even remember other than it wasn't all that alarming. It's in Safe Mode, I believe. I suppose that's where it should be.

It seems to have a lot of nice features for a free firewall. It hasn't slowed down my PC at all, and hasn't weirdly blocked anything or prevented me from doing anything I would normally do. A couple of weeks of running this on my system and I'll know more. But so far so good.

I'm not anywhere close to trying out the full monty with AV and all the bells and whistles. I'm pretty happy with Bitdefender these days and just got a $6.95 3PC/2 yr deal from Newegg on it. But I'll watch CIS and see how it matures.

20. Eggnog

Eggnog Registered Member

Well, that didn't take long. CF is working just fine on my Win 7 i3 laptop alongside Bitdefender, and still seems to be just fine - light and fast. For some reason it started locking up my main home desktop PC also with Bitdefender, running win 7 AMD 965BE quad core, ATI 6850, on start up. I know it was CF because once I booted into safe mode, and disabled it, the PC started up just fine. When re-enabled, it would lock up shortly after start up again.

Oh well, no big deal. I just re-installed Outpost Pro 9.1 and went on my merry way. I'm not faulting Comodo. AS I indicated, it seems to be running just fine on my laptop. Sometimes certain apps just don't work well on some systems. Stuff happens, I guess. If I wasn't being lazy I might try to figure out what's going on, but ... I'm just too lazy and I already have my Outpost Pro reinstalled.

21. PRUHDG

PRUHDG Registered Member

On my win 8.1 pro 64bit amd lap the problem from CFv6 continues to v7 that is after hours of using my laptop it no longer reads usb devices, its like it no longer detects hardware I have to restart my computer.I tested it for a week then I uninstalled.

22. stephentony

stephentony Registered Member

I kind of agree with Cyrano2 on both counts. Chiron's guide has been updated just recently to take into account version 7 and the configuration does not require loads of user interaction with excessive popups. Runs light and quiet. The AV has come a long way but when I tried it last in version 6 the FP's were just too numerous. I wouldn't go so far as to say don't use the AV because with the FW configured properly, not much if anything should get through, but I understand that says more about the FW component than anything else.

23. saakeman

saakeman Registered Member

Running on my system, smooth and sleek. Nice to know there is still great free alternatives to paid software. :)

24. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

Comodo Update to Version 7.0.315459.4132

New versions of all as per 2nd April - version history.
    Comodo Forum Announcement, and download links with hashes - here

- cheers,
    feandur

25. Techwiz

Appreciate the heads up. Updated and running smoothly. Web Filter isn't particularly useful and Virus Scope is still disabled. Other than that, the system seems much more responsive. Pages seem to load and redirect smoothly. Subjective observation, but so far I really like the new firewall. The title theme is growing on me. I don't its nothing new in this release, but I prefer it to the other modern theme. Flat, but crisp (fresh) UI design. Color choice isn't too bright or too dark either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.