comodo firewall pro 3.0 vs Outpost Internet Security Pro

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by alant, Sep 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alant

alant Registered Member

Hello everyone,
    I am moving from a paid security suite to a free one. I was thinking of 1 of the 2 above. Anyone have a preference? Thanks.

2. kerykeion

kerykeion Registered Member

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

As mentioned Outpost Pro is not free but Outpost Firewall 2009 is (obviously with less functionality). Try Comodo firewall 2011 as it is now

4. alant

alant Registered Member

Isn't Comodo firewall 2011 a paid version? I was looking for free. Also, would I need to run anti-virus protection alongside?

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

If you don't have an AV then it is advisable to obtain one (plenty free ones like Avira, MSE, AVG etc etc). Comodo firewall 2011 is free as are their other security products.

6. AnonOT

AnonOT Registered Member

Comodo is free

7. alant

alant Registered Member

Great. I see Comodo Anti-virus detects spy-ware as well as viruses. Would it be wise to assume that Comodo Firewall 2011 plus Comodo Anti-virus would make up a complete package? I don't want to hog my resources either.

8. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

If I were to give you an advice I would say buy Outpost Firewall since the license is lifetime and then add a good free antivirus to it like Avira or Avast. Now if you still do not want to buy an Outpost Firewall lifetime license you could use Online-Armor free. OA is as good as Outpost or Comodo, if not even better.

Thanks.

9. deckie49

deckie49 Registered Member

for a good review of firewall software, check out
    www.matousec.com

you will notice comodo is at the very top of the list. you will also notice that paid programs do not necessarily offer better protection than free ones.

10. Jav

Jav Guest

matousec isn't firewall test.....

11. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

It should be added as a sticky Mantra for this board's section...
    (and there is no any sarcasm in here !)

matousec isn't firewall test.....matousec isn't firewall test.....matousec isn't firewall test.....matousec isn't firewall test.....matousec isn't firewall test.....matousec isn't firewall test.....

12. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

LOL!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

13. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Firewall has become an umbrella term for software that acts as a gateway between your computer and the internet, keeping nasties out of your computer and containing any that do manage to get in, preventing them from leaking your private data or corrupting your system. Some of you with your outdated definition of firewall as a simple packet filter might not agree but Matousec is a firewall test. Incomplete with some superfluous tests, IMO, but it is a firewall test.

14. Jav

Jav Guest

So, "mamutu" Is firewall aswell?

15. Espresso

Of course not. I should state that, at the least, a packet filter of some kind is necessary to be called a firewall. Some, like Threatfire, have network control but no packet filtering. OK with a router but might not be adequate by itself.

BTW, if you think an app doesn't belong in the test, just ignore it.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  16. Jav

Jav Guest

Yeah, terminologies differ.

But still from my point of view matousec is mileading test. I don't really think we should condsider it as a firewall test as it is unfair to true firewalls.
    Of course, you mentioned it and mentioned that is those new feauters should be considered as nessery features.
    But in my opinion all these HIPS and sandboxes are not really job of firewall.
    Of course they are good and usefull. I am in noway criticizing those technologies.
    All I am saying that it is starting to feel like kind of "suite"
    firewall suite or proactive defence suite, something like that.
    See what I am trying to say?
    I am not trying to criticize those vendors or even matousec itself.

All I am trying to say that matousec is or already became suite test, but at the same time unfairly adds normal products. (giving them bad image)
    So as you can see unaware user is being mislead by some point.

It is like me taking NIS 2010 and comparing it to Avira free. And claiming that NIS is a lot better that Avira. Because in my tests Avira couldn't stop single hacker.
    Of course NIS would be better it is a suite for the sake of it.
    But we don't consider those technologies in NIS as part of AV.
    So from AV point of view it will be completly different test.

Can you detect similarties here?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2010
  17. Espresso

Yes, it is unfair to the narrower featured products which weren't meant for the wide scope of tests used, but I can pick and choose among the products that have similar feature sets like Comodo, Outpost, Online Armor, etc. It would be nice if you could create a custom table from their data and choose only the products and tests/exploits you care about. Is there another firewall/HIPS test available that is as comprehensive as Matousec?

18. alant

alant Registered Member

I just saw that Microsoft has "Microsoft Security Essentials". Anyone know anything about this?

19. Jav

Jav Guest

Probably there is, but I don't know. :(

yes, but it is not firewall, it is AV.
    So, check on "other Anti-Virus software" forum section.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.