Comodo firewall 5.9 configuration tips

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by BrandiCandi, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

I just installed Comodo Firewall on my 3 Windows computers (Vista, XP pro & Win 7). I'm still reading the Comodo documentation so that I understand how to use it. My goal is to block all incoming traffic, then only allow outbound specific things that I will use (like DNS, the network printer, port 80, etc.)

Has anyone set up a similar configuration?

Has anyone used a good guide to configure Comodo (no matter what the configuration was)? Care to share?

I found a Comodo learning thread dated 2007 in this forum. Has there been anything more recent?

2. burebista

burebista Registered Member

Here is a general guide.
    Hope it helps a bit. :)

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Just installed the Comodo Firewall today and appreciate this guide. There are a number of advanced settings that are not enabled by default which the guide suggested enabling, such as protecting the ARP cache. I wonder why these don't default to ON?

4. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Because those settings are known to cause issues for some people so for compatibility issues, they are disabled by default.

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Fair enough. Can you point me to a thread where the issues have been discussed? So far I'm not experiencing any problems, but it would be good to know what to watch for.

6. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

I haven't had any issues with those advanced settings either. I don't have any links to the threads but if I come across them I will post them here.

7. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

Please do. Thanks!

8. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

9. lubieplacki

lubieplacki Registered Member

Hi guys!

I have Comodo Firewall with Def + setted as in this guide. Can Comodo Firewall disable turning on some of my programs that are scheduled to start directly after Win7? In autostart I have Mbam Pro, MSE, gadwin printscreen but some of them are not starting with system - I boot and go to kitchen, when I come in 5 mins everything should be already good to work - but it isn't, some apps that are scheduled to start do not do it. Can it be caused with this set up for Comodo Firewall?

Please, help me guys, it's super annoying for me. Thanks in advance.

10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

A good place to begin would be running a startup manager like Ccleaner or Winpatrol to examine all the auto-start entries. I would also sit through the full boot process to see if you're getting any pop-ups from Comodo Firewall.

11. lubieplacki

Here is screen from CCleaner, I forgot to upload it here again ;)

http://i.imgur.com/KxABd.png

Tak - means that key is turned on. As you see I have here Gadwin, Mbam, Comodo etc. as turned on. But some of them as I said don't work. Now Gadwin is not but it should.

And now something weird occurred - I two times "slapped" Gadwin icon to turn it on but it don't started. Tried once more - no response. I clicked RMB and "Run as Administrator" so Comodo Def+ window popped: PrintScreenPro.exe want to get acces bla bla. I'm sure in past I ticked to always trust this one. And how they cant trust antivirus? They should have things like this on they're "whitelist" or something.

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Trying disabling Defense + and booting the computer to see if the problem goes away.

13. lubieplacki

Okay, I did it. System started and almost all programs started too. Malwarebytes was really slow -computer was like ready to go, no waiting cursor, no showing that it's loading something - but after a while Malwarebytes started. One app that don't is MSE. Others are fine. What I should do with it?

14. Victek

Victek Registered Member

So you're saying that even with defense + disabled MSE doesn't load? Is that right? You could try uninstalling the Comodo Firewall (make sure the Windows Firewall is turned on afterward) and see if the startup problems go away. You have to change one thing at a time and see what happens.

Can you post a screenshot of your auto-starting programs list? You could use something like Ccleaner to display the startup list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.