Comodo Dragon - Chrome based browser for the security paraoid

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vijayind, Feb 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Comodo has retooled the Chrome browser and slapped some security features on board.
    http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/browser.php

So anybody gonna use this ??

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Let's see. What's next? What aspect of security isn't covered yet? Anti-rootkit? Sandbox? What about a full fledged Comodo OS? And then? Ummm... Comodo safety belts?

Sure. Melih at least.
    I may try it, slim chances it'll stay.

3. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Same here. +1 :thumb:

4. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

5. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

LOL! Re Comodo Dragon it's little ironic given the issue of Comodo issuing certs to CAs without any checking (not that they're the only ones).

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahaha, we must accept they're actually doing a great job (Well at least i think that with their CIS V4)

But they're overdoing it sometimes :D

9. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

I tried this browser when it was still in beta and I tried it today and I still don't like it. It might appeal to me more if I liked the Chrome browser but I don't.

10. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

A sanbox is already built into Chrome by default.

11. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I think Seer was meaning Comodo might have a 'crack' at developing a sandbox. They seem to be the 'one-stop-shop'.

It's like a men's fashion label wanting to branch out and design prams and baby wear. They sort of go together, don't they? :p

Back on topic, I think Chrome is already safe, so no need for Comodo's version.

Hackers steer clear of Google Chrome, say too challenging - March 2009
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Google/?p=1334

Chrome's sandbox - documentation
    http://dev.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/sandbox

12. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Any efforts made worth our respect. I don't think that I'll use Comodo's chrome or chrome, since I have abbandoned almost all Google related services when they have deleted my gmail account without reason and without giving me any chance to talk to someone and get my account back. Their automatic system for account claiming was really a huge crap at the time. Now the things are better but I have lost my trust. Google could be everywhere and even take over the world. They'll always find me at the opposite side and against them.

13. Logos

Logos Registered Member

14. Victek

Victek Registered Member

More precisely the tabs in Chrome are "sandboxed", meaning they are running as separate processes. They say if one tab/page crashes it won't cause the whole browser to crash. This is quite different compared with a sandbox program like SandboxIE which fully virtualizes programs and isolates them from the OS.

15. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

That's not all the sandbox is for. It isn't just for stopping the tabs from affecting each other during crashes, but it also helps to stop them from affecting each other during a potential compromise or malware encounter. The Chrome renderers run with zero privileges, which means even if the "everyone" group had all possible access rights, it still couldn't break through to compromise the system. This is as close (on Windows) that you are going to get to running a VM without running a VM.

So, I have to disagree, I think Chrome does fit the definition of a sandbox -- compartmentalization and POLP. Yes, it uses built-in Windows security features, but that doesn't mean it isn't effective.

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks for the clarification. The protection in Chrome is a lot stronger then I initially realized. By the way Comodo Dragon version 1.0.0.9 was just released. Changelog:

New in this version:

IMPROVEMENT: Domain Validation warning window shows extended error description.

17. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yes, but how does it compare with SRWare Iron? ;)

18. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Could someone explain to me something? I have had several tabs open at once in Chrome when flash will crash in one tab- then when I look all the tabs have flash running have flash crashed. How does this happen if each tab is sandboxed?

19. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Do I understand correctly that only flash is crashing and the tabs remain functional otherwise? Has that happened enough times that you can say it's consistent and not an anomaly?

20. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

The message I get is that flash crashed. IIRC the tabs remain functional but I cannot be 100% sure about that. But it is consistent that if flash crashes in one tab it crashes all tabs running flash.

21. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Does it have an adblocker & can it use WOT?

22. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I think I'd be more concerned with how often it's updated. But there is already a WOT Chrome extension. I personally trust Google more than Comodo, and that's saying something.

Currently using Chrome portable to avoid the extra junk the installer provides.

23. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Why not try an ad blocker that sits outside the browser such as Proxomitron, Privoxy, or BFilter? That way there's just one to maintain for all the browsers on your PC.

I'm using Privoxy with Chrome Portable. It plays nice with FF, K-Meleon and IE6.

24. guest

guest Guest

I didn't try Comodo Dragon, but I think it doesn't fix the 2 main issues I have with Google Chrome:

1. annoying rendering problems with several webpages on different situations;
    2. lacks RSS support.

A possible reason?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2010
  25. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Saw that. Thanks! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.