Comodo DACS (Distributed and Collaborative Scanning)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by guest, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

wait so every file u have scanned is sent to only this select few "volunteers" who have absolutely no obligation to the company itself? first it sounds like if scanning increases that few volunteer scheme isnt gunna hold out all too well cuz those peep will become swamped by connections. and 2nd, that doesnt sound like a very trustworthy and legit method to me, id feel safer knowing that its going to the company itself, people with an obligation and their name/livelihood on the line. plus it kinda sounds like another legal loophole for comodo to keep themselves out of legal issues due to having the scanning with diff AV's coming directly from them, so they simply give it to these "volunteers"...

2. guest

guest Guest

Everything in bold is a lie, please try to read a little bit before make ridiculous again.
    Again you have invented everything but continue trolling, you could write a couple of books with this imagination. But the answer to your history is in Comodo forums, go and take a look, if you can't find it ask there.

I can pay a server in Amazon cloud to host 100 forums like wilders and I can extend it almost without limits.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2010
  3. sded

sded Registered Member

Pretty coherent and concise description of how DACS works by Panic, a Comodo mod, at http://forums.comodo.com/news-annou...t-stand-for-t65415.0.html;msg473027#msg473027 . Agrees with previous understandings, seems to try to finesse the license issue by referring to the "P2P" instead of the "P2P network" (see Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peer-to-peer for example). I think we understood DACS was merely the transport mechanism, but avoiding calling the nodes of the P2P network "AV servers" also takes a bit of practice. But again, for the lawyers. :) Thank you, Panic.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  4. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Not only the author of ProcessHacker is feeling robbed, you think all 3rd party AV companies will be happy with every user using this shady have free scan from their engine ? They offer their services as a website service, not for some on-the-fly highlight&scan for yet another taskman lookalike.

In all honesty, still I wish this project all the luck though, but I think this tool will vapor away faster than it was copy-pasted in the first place, and end up with the countless other End-Of-Life tools Comodo spat out in the not so distant history.

5. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

No , he isnt ( in fact he is helping at the beta test ) ... but 3rd party AV companies wont be happy.

6. firzen771

what are u talking about? if im making it up, explain to me what kind of obligation these "trusted" volunteers have to Comodo? they legally have none being volunteers, they have zero obligation to do their task honestly and legitimatly. so i dont think im lieing, and logic will show u that if u have a small handful of volunteers being the centre of all these scannings, ther can be a bottleneck if thers a lot of connections. and the last part about legality is also true, im not saying its 100% gunna be the right here, but it could be a way of negating legal issues from this type of a service.

none of what i said was a lie, i never said it WILL undeniably happen, but ther all possible, i said thats just how it seems to be to me.

7. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I guess I'm getting in on this info late in the game. But to sum things up, is the issue that Comodo is using these other vendors scanners and publishing the results without the other vendors consent?

And if this is supposed to be incorporated into CIS, what about the paid version of CIS? Will the scanner w/ results from other vendors be incorporated into the paid CIS product without consent or compensation to the other vendors? I am assuming this scanner will be advertised as a component of CIS, thus contributing to the value of the product.

8. smage

smage Registered Member

Privacy concerns expressed by a developer at Emisoft.

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/3196-dacs/

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  9. firzen771

hmm i guess my supposed "lies" have just been re-affirmed by an actual legitimate source.

10. wj32

wj32 Developer

Very good point. At least for KillSwitch, they should make it an on-demand upload.

Not so sure about that. Most scanners claim no liability for anything that might go wrong. And why would SurfRight accept any liability considering it's a free product? I can't seem to be able to view the Hitman Pro EULA again, so I'm not 100% sure about this.

Big issue as well, if it's true. Encryption wouldn't be a solution because the data has to be decrypted at some point on the computer before it's scanned.

Highly unlikely. VirusTotal would get sued as well, considering how similar it is to DACS.

11. guest

guest Guest

Please show the proof of the contract or the lack of it that this people does not have any obligation, so everybody can see it and not just you. If you can't you are lying, you are inventing things, you are a troll, or all of them

What happened with your affirmation about "they dont have enough power to hold this service"? any proof? The tool has not been release obviosly you have nothing, you were lying. And you obviously dont know what is the Amazon Cloud or any similar service.

Legitimate? you mean another uninformed source like you? :D making all the time suppositions? at least he recognize that he is not sure about what he is talking about. He start taking some assumptions and then he develop them

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2010
  12. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

What if this so called volunteers are hackers ?! :)
    Who the ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ are this volunteers ?
    So some unknown guys are able to have acces to users information without any responsability and oposability.
    When i upload files to virustotal i know where i uploaded them and i also know that the files can be used by 3-rd partyes once i clicked upload.
    This DACS thing sounds very phishy to me.

13. guest

guest Guest

What if? :D
    You don't know who they are? or who they have to respond? so why are you writing about this? :D
    This people are controlled by Comodo, the whole process is supervised by Comodo.

@Sm3K3R @firzen771
    This is the oldest trolling method
    Making FALSE claims to hurt something without any proof, please evolve a little, there are newest method for trolling, try to search in google.

14. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Do you mean these people have a legal contract with Comodo? If so, could you point us to a link so we can see the content of this contract and the indemnity clauses. I think that would help to alleviate a lot of peoples fears. If there is no contract with suitable indemnification clauses then I'm afraid that Fabian is correct...and please don't call me a troll just because I agree with him ;)

Edit: or if you don't know whether there is a contract or not and what the contents of it are, then just say so.

15. guest

guest Guest

I guess that this people is not paying from his pocket 6000$, 8000$ or even more a month that can cost the Amazon Cloud service to hold at least the 35 million users of CIS, so probably they have a contract, obviously I don't have it.

But thanks for instead trolling, ask, this is the difference. ;)

The answers are in this thread if can't find them ask there: http://forums.comodo.com/news-annou...dacs-and-what-does-it-stand-for-t65415.0.html

16. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

@guest

you ask of the others to not troll and to get somewhat informed before posting.
    Maybe, just maybe, is time for you to do the same thing.
    Half of your posts in this thread are based in what you suspect of how DACS works, and how it could evolve in the future versions. If you can't base your claims with facts how can you expect from the others to do it? o_O

@wj32
    Congrats for your great app... any chance to see a pluging that implements the virustotal api?
    http://www.virustotal.com/advanced.html#publicapi

Panagiotis

17. guest

guest Guest

All I said was written here first: http://forums.comodo.com/news-annou...dacs-and-what-does-it-stand-for-t65415.0.html

When I say something that I'm not sure, I write "I guess" "I think" "IMO"... or something simlar, that's the difference. If you want an example see my last post.

When I say something without "I guess" is because was written before in Comodo forum by a developer, mod, or Melih. I don't just come here and say the first thing that cross my mind, without having the miminum certainty.

18. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Yes, but your approach to the thread makes you appear like a fanboy and feeds the trolls, as you call them, to come with assumptions of their own... and the thread goes in loops...

my 2 cents,
    Panagiotis

19. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Well, I've had a look through that thread, and to be honest there's as many arguments there as there is here! I can't see any discussion about the volunteers being under contract, so for now I'd have to assume that there isn't one. In which case, boy are they taking on some risk here. Imagine that DACS uploads something containing illegal images to the users PC for scanning. They get 'deleted' by DACS after scanning but as we all know things are rarely properly deleted. Have these 'volunteers' really thought through the implications of all this I wonder?

20. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Reading through this thread its getting painfully obvious ,that NO ONE here knows exactly how this is going to pan out.The "you prove it" and " you disproove it" mentality is evidence of this.The links to comodos forums where the supposed answers are ,are also full of supposition.There are too many questions and not enough answers.Perhaps the thread should just be closed and reopened when its not in beta anymore?
    ellison

21. erikloman

erikloman Developer

We have a Dutch privacy statement here (can't seem to find the English for now):
    http://www.surfright.nl/nl/hitmanpro/intro#privacypolicy

22. smage

smage Registered Member

Yep in the meantime, here is part 2 of the review of CCE BETA.
    -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87JSCld06k4-

23. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

I don t know if i m trolling ,i m just expressing my opinion over a product that generated over 30 pages on the Comodo forum ,from which more than 20 were about guessing the name of the tehnology of the future :) .
    OK ,this product will be great because it s a Comodo one ,a vendor that puts quality before profit.Free security for the masses.

24. guest

guest Guest

Did you ask about all this there? try so we all will be able to see the answers.

25. firzen771

difference is that VirusTotal licenses the use of the engines, Comodo does not.

and guest im guessing u dont really understand the meaning of what a volunteer is and the difference between that and an employee... and as others have said, why dont u show us some proof that can take care of our issues, the reason we have the issues we have all stated is exactly because nobody has clarified them, all u do i go around saying how were all lying instead of showing us some proof to explain to us how our concerns are wrong, that would be more beneficial and productive.

and 2nd id take the opinion of an actual security software employee much more seriously than some forum poster that like us, has no idea what hes even defending.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.