Comodo Cleaning Essentials 1.xx Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mops21, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wj32

wj32 Developer

That's because Comodo's developers don't seem to know what the GPL is, or their obligations under it. There's no point arguing with them anymore.

2. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

I definitely think this is illegal. Comodo is merely wrapping the results of other products into their own. Whether for profit or not, I think that irrelevant. No matter Comodo benefits from this enterprise and not the companies that are providing the detection

3. guest

guest Guest

Yes of course, one thing is what you think and another thing is the real world, if someday you understand what is DACS and the laws involved maybe you will get it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2011
  4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Another off-topic post removed. I think there has been more than enough speculation as to whether the DACS portion of this is legal or not. That won't be decided here by people simply saying it is or it isn't. If there are legal issues, they will unfold slowly over time as someone with standing on the issue decides whether to pursue it through proper channels. Also, whatever award someone won and whether they deserved it, is really not what this thread is about either. The product and it's technical details is what this is about.

5. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

According to GPL, I understand that you can request them to pull-off PH, right?

6. wj32

wj32 Developer

They are violating the license, so I can make requests. But any further legal action is pointless for such an insignificant product which will probably die anyway because of the questionable status of DACS.

7. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

But if DACS isn't an issue raised in the future by other vendors. Then CCE would be very good product. It makes life easier in cleaning the machines. Ofcourse credit goes to comodo/wj32/otherallvendors....

8. wj32

wj32 Developer

<rant type="somewhat off-topic">

Melih seems to have an attitude problem. He thinks that what he has come up with (adding a few lines of code to Process Hacker and calling it "KillSwitch") is very original. So original that he claims he has tried to patent the idea of showing only unsafe processes/DLLs, as if that's something new. In fact he cannot patent something like that because the GPLv3 says that if he does, he automatically provides a worldwide, royalty-free license to everyone, effectively defeating the purpose of getting a patent. Their developers have taken minimal effort in complying with the license, waiting for me to complain about violations. They have moved functionality from the main, GPLed program to a proprietary DLL in order to hide code they don't want others to see.

Melih continually makes pointless threads on the Comodo Forum praising his software and his company, and urging his users to distort the results of various polls across the Internet. There also seems to be quite a few fanboys over there, obviously following Melih's example.

</rant>

Yes, Melih. Your software is free and it's fairly high quality (at least in comparison to the alternatives). But you don't have pollute the stream of constructive criticism with your self-praise. Integrating scanning functionality into Process Hacker is also a great idea. But don't pretend it's more innovative than it really is.

9. harsha_mic

I'm sorry, i just wanted to make one thing clear. I'm not fanboy of Melih (but thanks to him for his product). I just like Comodo Firewall very much. As it is the one which has done its job accurately along with OA++/OA for me.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  10. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

+1
    I'm not a huge fan of melih's antics but I do like CIS. You can like a product, music or item and not care for the person that made/invented it.

11. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

Hi

A new Version is out

Hello Everyone,

We are very excited to announce that Comodo Cleaning Essentials is available for download. We would like to thank everyone who joined the beta testing.

What is Comodo Cleaning Essentials?

Simple. CCE is a set of tools we created for cleaning the infected computers. The main application, CCE, is a powerful virus, spyware, rookit scanner and cleaner. It has many advanced scanning and cleaning techniques that are not present in CIS yet. And then we have a powerful tool called Killswitch, which is purely for experts to diagnose *EVERYTHING* in a computer. Give it a try!

CCE features:
    * Portable: No installation is necessary!
    * Rootkit and hidden file/key scanner
    * Aggressive file removing capabilities
    * KillSwitch, advanced system activity monitoring tool

Download Locations:

32 Bit Operating Systems:
    http://download.comodo.com/cce/download/setups/cce_1.6.183539.73_x32.zip

64 Bit Operating Systems:
    http://download.comodo.com/cce/download/setups/cce_1.6.183539.73_x64.zip

12. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

Mops21 thanks for the info :thumb:

13. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

DACS where? :blink:

14. Netherlands

Netherlands Registered Member

It's gone because they gave priority to Valkyrie:

http://valkyrie.comodo.com/

I think it will also be integrated in the new CIS.

According the comodo forum DACS will be back in a later stage.
    It is still working in the RC 2. So they didn't shut it down ;)

15. harsha_mic

a report from Valkyrie ..taken from comodo forum post...

Another from comodo forum post

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2011
  16. guest

guest Guest

I uploaded the same 0day malware to valkyrie and VT (vt have never seen this file before)

~ Valkyrie Results URL Removed per Policy ~

Probability of Static Verdict Static Verdict Combination
    99.9% Malware

~ VirusTotal Results URL Removed per Policy ~
    Result: 8/ 43 (18.6%)
    Comodo AV does not detect the file

At least seems to be and interesting service that offers Dynamic Detection, I hope to see this integrated on CIS cloud soon.

17. Netherlands

Netherlands Registered Member

Looks good but look at this:

~ Valkyrie Results URL Removed per Policy ~

Its just a program to change the maximum open connections limit in windows XP. Its 98% malware.
    I wonder if the Comodo whitelist is part of this service.

18. guest

guest Guest

Yes, I'm sure that valkyrie can produce many fp's.
    Valkyrie are AI engines Valkyrie is not a full av with whitelist, probably the AI engines does not use any kind of database or definitions
    Anyway the actions done by this file can be potentially dangerous. Changing the open connection limit can be dangerous can be set to 1 per example or maybe 0? by a malware.
    Same file on VT: 20 /43 (46.5%)
    ~ VirusTotal Results URL Removed per Policy ~

Dynamic Detection
    The camas system is too busy to query the result for you! Please try it later!
    Would be nice to see what the DD says.

DACS is still on if you use the latest RC, not the final version, they released CCE since it was ready and only DACS was delaying the release.

19. sded

sded Registered Member

Should we lament the passing of the much touted "Lord DACS" that (other than legal issues) seemed enough like Hitman Pro that it might prove useful to some? It sure is a step down from the previous hype announcements. Why no buildup for Valkyrie-"one of a host of female figures who decide who will die in battle"? I have built enough systems with embedded AI to know that throwing in the term is usually smokescreen without evidence of utility and validation-is there any description other than this? AI is such a broad term that it has become meaningless-unless maybe they mean it will pass a Turing test? But hey, enjoy, and see what it really does and see if you find it useful.

20. harsha_mic

At this point, i don't see much information about Valyrie, lets see how it goes. And as per then, it will be implemented in cloud scanner part of CIS to increase the detection rate.

ps. I would like to see this implemented successfully as part of Cloud scanner in CIS.

21. guest

guest Guest

DACS is working right now (I'm using it), it's just that it has not been release yet together with CCE. DACS it's still in a beta stage and CCE and KS(thanks to Process Hacker) are quite stable so they have already been released.

http://siteinspector.comodo.com/public
    http://valkyrie.comodo.com/

22. harsha_mic

About Valkirie - From Melih

23. J_L

J_L Registered Member

So the release version contains Valkyrie, while the RC2 includes DACS? Is Valkyrie included in RC2?

24. sded

sded Registered Member

Out of the dense fog and smoke came Wikipedia ;) :"Data mining is the process of extracting patterns from large data sets by combining methods from statistics and artificial intelligence with database management." I wonder if this means Comodo is looking the file up with Google and doing something with all the hits? Or perhaps a bit more insight will be forthcoming soon.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  25. harsha_mic

nope. release version only contains camas,basic,fls scanners.
    valkyrie, will be integrated into CIS as part of cloud scanner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.