Comodo AV better now?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by country2, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. country2

country2 Registered Member

Just wondering since this last release it it worth trying now or is it still not there yet? Thanks

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It'll be there when they add BOClean memory scanner and actual CIMA based heuristics. Until then, it's ok but not yet there.

3. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Yes it's certainly improving all the time but wait a month or so for CIMA and BOClean functionality before relying upon it.

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

5. Iam_me

Iam_me Registered Member

http://internetsecurity.comodo.com/updates/vdp/database.php

The number of definitions has reached 1,7 Millions, There is a issue with FPs still Its not there yet, I would as rejzor wait for next version with CIMA, version 3.9!

You can still try it however, Its probably better than ClamWin by now, and do detect a few stuff. :cool: o_O

6. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Or to be on the safe side, sandbox the browser and have a couple of on-demand scanners at your disposal!

Ice

7. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

Is it able to install Comodo AV as on demand? With no guards and real time processes?

8. IceCube1010

Good question. I actually thought about this originally when I had installed CIS. I really like Avast home. I believe you can install the FW, D+ and the AV but just disable the realtime access after you install the package. Then you could keep your current AV and use Comodo's only as a on-demand. I might consider doing this in that I'm still getting FP's with the AV part of CIS. Apparently, in the next month, Comodo will implement Boclean (memory scanner) and use their far superior Heuristic Analysis module (CIMA) implemented within the product. This will give less FP's and a more powerful analysis of suspect files. I have SBIE and CIS installed on my Vista Home pc and Geswall and CIS on my XP pro pc. CIS works well with sandbox type security!

Ice

9. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Yes it's worth trying.
    Went thru the pre betas, the betas and now version .477 which, I think, is the best yet.
    Have the FW set to custom, Defense + to clean pc mode and av turned on.
    All monitor settings on along with buffer overflow protection.
    Heuristics set to medium.
    Very few pop ups and basically the only ones I do get is when I forget to put it in install mode for a new program.
    Have had no fp's with this version.

You have to remember that no av or fw is perfect.
    Reading thru all the threads in this forum will verify this.
    It's what works well for you. :)

10. andyman35

Your belief is well founded you can do that.;)

11. Eice

Eice Registered Member

The way things are right now, it's only "better" because people have gotten weary of correcting the tireless fanboys who constantly proclaim that the AV is now good. Comodo is winning the war of attrition on the propaganda front, but the abilities of the product is still right where it used to be.

Keep on holding your breath for the "next version" that will magically bring long-awaited usability and detection. Comodo has been saying that since I don't know how many versions ago, but then again people keep falling for it, so I guess I can't blame them entirely...

12. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Agreed. :thumb:

13. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Where in this thread is anyone proclaiming this av is good??
    I don't see it.
    I like the suite though.
    The FW with D+ is good and the hips will block nasties the av could miss.
    The av itself is not there yet and others are better at this point.
    The useability is there but the detection of the av does need improvement.
    Time will tell on how good it ends up being but to say it's right were it used to be is nonsense.

14. andyman35

I confess i don't understand the glee some people take in rubbishing Comodo and the barely disguised wish they have for it to fail miserablyo_O

Everyone should want this to succeed whether or not they choose to use it,because a top ranking free security suite will benefit all since competitors will have to rethink their own pricing policies.Perhaps they're happy spending £30 or £40 a yearo_O if so good for them,others haven't got so much spare cash.

Nobody I've read is claiming that Comodo's AV is the equal of the likes of Avira yet (or even close).A fair time to pass judgement would be after the 12 months Melih stated as required to produce a top AV.

15. IceCube1010

I couldn't have said it better myself!
    Ice

16. Eice

Eice Registered Member

That's okay, since this has nothing to do with taking glee in rubbishing Comodo, and everything to do with distaste for blatant misinformation and dubious advertising claims.

As for making the industry rethink its pricing policies, I'll just chuckle quietly to myself as I anticipate Comodo succeeding where other real top-notch free products have failed.

17. Iam_me

Iam_me Registered Member

Agreed!

There is always a lot of hate against comodo, by no apparent reason. Its probably one if not the most hated product here at wilders! :D :D I have yet to see a thread about comodo that won't involve some critic saying it sucks, its flawed or similar, or a thread that won't turn to flaming CIS for using full HIPS.

In my experience CIS is good. And fact still remains, It got the best prevention if the user understands the D+ module.

And I would not bother post in every norton category and say "man its so bad".. Even if I think so. CIS is the strong option for advanced users.. And its getting user friendlier and user friendlier..:thumb: :thumb: And its freaking free..

18. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

CIS also has the advantage that Vista and Windows& force application developers to stay as much as possible in the user space, which in itself reduces pop-ups.

As posted earlier I have tweaked a setup to put on the Vista64 gaming machine of my son as soon as Vista64 ThreatFire becomes available, because it is an efficient internet suite.

CIS is the first version which let you 'patch' all the issues I have with classical HIPS (see this post for idea behind it https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1413356&postcount=28). The only thing I would like that when an ASK generates a rule, it would inherite the original rule it triggered with only one aspect set to allow or block (instead of generating a custom rule with all others set to ASK).

Regards Kees

19. JamesFrance

JamesFrance Guest

I am not surprised that so many hate Comodo, there must be many on the forum whose jobs will be at risk if a free program becomes the best available and the general public realise that.

20. andyman35

There haven't been any other free complete security suites to be able to have failed that I'm aware ofo_O

But that aside I still don't follow the idea that it's good news or amusing for CIS to fail.If it succeeds it'll benefit many people and far fetched advertising won't lessen that (SAS one day only offer anyone)

If nothing else Comodo offers an option in a shrinking market where many smaller products are being abandoned or swallowed up by the big boys.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  21. andyman35

No doubt that's a motivating factor for some.

22. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

So once again buffer overflow protection is not on by default, even though it's supposed to be so important and a big new feature, or did I get that wrong? Is it disabled for a reason like high-risk for FPs or similar?

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

BO protection is enabled by default.

24. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Okay, thx for the answer, RejZoR! :)

25. Smiggy

Smiggy Registered Member

:D :D :D :D

"BO protection is enabled by default"

Kiss the need for underarm deodourant goodbye!!
    Love that post, class!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.