Comodo Aquires BoClean!

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Mele20, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Having been a BOClean user for almost six years now, I'm elated for Kevin and Nancy (not to mention that I'd hate to run a machine without having that trusted little BOClean icon in the tray... ;))

Great to hear that by the looks of it Kevin will be provided with the means to put all his ideas for BOClean in practice, and of course Kudos to Comodo for being so smart as to acquire this great application! :)

2. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

3. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Thanks TonyKlein and good to see ya again even in different confines. ;)
    So theres even yet other "ideas" that have been on the back burner?
    Not so much myself unfortunately but i know that all the Loyals are anxiously waiting with baited breath for them to be finally realized, especially the developers themselves no less.

All The Best

EASTER

4. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

The only reason I can think of is the following:

1. Comodo developed a free Antivirus, which did not do to good in the AV-comparatives test. So they are dedicated to develop a good AV.

2. They know how much the development of their current version has cost them, in terms of man-power and money.

3. Apparently buying the BOclean engine and the involvement of Kevin was cheaper and faster than continuing the development of their not so great AV. Also switching resources/manpower provides Comodo a quantum leap in knowhow.

To me there are a few valid business reasons to do so, but then again my guess is as good as anyone else.

Regards K

*** copied reply out of the Comodo forum, about switching resources, more or less indicates that is cheaper and faster for Comodo to gain a market positon via an acquisition. The sizeable manpower mentioned to me sounds like: we (COmodo) will give Kevin as many people as he can train, so the transfer of knowhow will be capatilised before Kevin might pull out***

Re: Comodo acquires BOClean!
    « Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 01:33:09 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, we will continue with the whole product range. We will make available sizeable amount of resources to Kevin so that he can take all these products to next level. Kevin will be responsible (as he was) for taking these products to next level and we as Comodo will support him fully by enabling much more resources for him.

All we want to do is to continue the great tradition that Kevin & Nancy has successfully carried out and enable Kevin to make his products even better. He just has more resources to achieve it now.

Melih

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  6. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Where have you been?

Look at Konfabulator, that is if you're aware of that desktop widget program which drawed a tremendous global following as a paid customization program. Yahoo Inc. stepped in with it's aquisition offer and after closing the deal made a previously 30USD program freeware where it still stands today.

COMODO is no different. Look at the publicity potential for COMODO after releasing BoClean in a freeware version. It's a windfall method that apparently will afford great benefits in the short term and long. With that being said watch for COMODO to be around and very active for a very long time to come.

7. controler

controler Guest

8. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Well, one thing's for certain, EASTER....you've been in this thread...A LOT! Defending Comodo and the acquisition at every turn. Not sure why you have so much at stake in this, but you're obviously a Comodo fan. Good for you, I just hope it works out FOR EVERYONE!!!

9. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Yep, long time user of BOClean here too.
    I agree with you Ton !

LOL :D :D :D :)

10. iNsuRRecTioN

iNsuRRecTioN Registered Member

Re: Comodo Aquires BoClean! btw. acquires.. ;-)

Hey,

wow, great, didn't know that.

What a nice and really useful piece of app :)

I think your "marketing" methods wasn't that good and so you don't get (enough) money and more attraction.

Your coding skills and methods must be really great, unique, powerful and brilliant! As well as your knowledge..

I hope, now Comodo acquired you, you have enough resources, people (manpower) and of course time to further improve BOClean, maybe rewrite parts or more (from the scratch..?) and so get a "new" BOClean out, as you wished and wanted already before, but unfortunately couldn't be done, because of time and resource absence..

Now at Comodo you should have enough money and power, and if Comodo really should someday decide to sell their software, which is now available as free software, then hopefully they won't demand more as 5-10 USD..!
    (More money and not much people would buy that..! Including me, having not much money and I'm currently unemployed..In my opinion 5-10 USD is fair for 3-5 years license of an software with updates and upgrades..10-15 USD is fair for unlimited lifetime updates and upgrades of such a "small" helping tool..)

At Comodo I think you can unfold, develop and let all your "wishes" with your own software apps/babies become truth ;)

Ooh, that's really bad, you shouldn't work more as 10-12 hours in a single shift without sleeping..! :eek: :blink: :ouch:

Finaly I hope and really think so, that you will get enough sleep and support at your new firm Comodo, in order that you don't have to work more than 12 hours in one shift..

I don't understand this..
    Are there no Maleware fighting firms or organisations that see your potential and the potential of your brilliant tool and code?!? o_O :ninja: o_O

I'm really confused and it's strange that neither Eset, Kaspersky nor Frisk want to help you and/or integrate your code or app into their products.. :rolleyes: :cautious:

Did you and Nancy really ask all them and ask them seriously?

I thought "experts" must see that..

Such an unique code, help to fight maleware with an additional security layer with nearly zero impact, performance loss and resource consumption must be a wonderful and great addition and improvement to their existing protection solutions.

In my opinion that would be a nice and huge step forward and a step ahead of the maleware coders/authors and script kiddies.

Yes, very important to see that and that all other can read and see that! :)

Why? Simply because nearly everyone think the same way and the same happend to your "family company", Kevin..

Personal messages, opinions, contact, help is very important!
    It's the secret of success and the elixir of an successfull company and organisation.

"Personal touches" are needed and all the CEO's, chief coders, etc. should at least blog to their customers and keep in personal public connection, answer and comment back.
    Better is to be active in the own company forum, like Melih is doing it..!

That and don't cheat and deceive the users and customers and be truthful and sincere.
    Then you will have sucess.

That's the right way and I wanted buy a BOClean license back in 6 or 10 months or such..but first it was to expensive to/for me and second I had no contact and such a great explanation, like this posting from Kevin here..

I don't know what BOClean is really doing, what clever and great "tricks" and code it has and how it exactly work until now..

So I thought yet another anti-maleware software, which is in public well known by americans and europeans mostly don't know them and no public comparison and tests are available, so..

I didn't know the truth and I didn't get it on your product hp..!

And to your rest post, it's great, deep insight and details.

You don't know me, but I really appreciate it, thanks! ;) :D

Ok, but please try to keep it correct and don't push that numbers too much..
    I hope the Comodo marketing don't want to argue with new major version numbers, e.g. use BOClean Version 6.0 instead of 5.5 if there are only some new features and improvements, like it the big companies like MS, Symantec, Skype Limited (with the help of Ebay..), etc. unfortunately do.. -.- :thumbd:

Eset and other companies do it right, after NOD32 v2, they followed with 2.5 with new features and improvements, but not with 3.0.
    Skype had doing it the same correct way, but after the Ebay acquisition, they publishing Version 3.0 instead of 2.5 of Skype, etc.

Only with many and really big and much earth-shattering new features and improvements, companies and software developers should increase the major version number of an Software app..! :isay:

I trust you :D

Thanks for this post and I wish you all the best and good luck, but I bet and think you don't need my luck, because you already have it now at Comodo..! :thumb: :cool:

best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

11. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Can this program work with Prevx and Spyware Terminator's real time shield?

12. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Thx,

That explains it.

13. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi cheater,

Never seen/heard about a conflict with this prog but to tell the true, i used ST for a short time and PREVX for a more shorter time

MaB

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  14. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Let's hope the best for BoClean.
    I can understand the reason of Nancy & Co. as their life was influenced by the hard work they put into BoClean. Also i am more calm now, as i read the words of the developers regarding the future of BoClean.
    Hope the new useres of 'BoClean - Freeware' will enjoy this soft as i do it for a while now.

15. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

BOClean is one of the few apps that will work just about anything else on your PC, you'll hardly ever notice BOClean is even on your computer.

16. controler

controler Guest

I have only paid for a select few apps in my life. BoClean & TDS was a few.
    I did so because they were great apps. period but I wonder now where they go?
    Why is it they great apps were created by small companies?
    Why then are they bought up?
    I really have no trust anymore in small companies and am going back to my roots. Symantec ect.

This sucks!!! Until someone from comodo or Kevin can give me a better answer.

Con

17. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Read,the answer is there.

18. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

The same people are going to work on BOClean.
    More resources are available, meaning he's going to have more time to improve the program, not loosing so much time updating signatures.
    It's now freeware.

19. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Did you read posts #77 & 83? Kevin gave a detailed explanation of whassup...:cool:

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I hope they do something soon, because I was in the process of buying it. Yep, good product, good people.

21. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Customers that had recently purchased bo regret they paid for soon to become freeware.

If i knew this was going to happen id not hesitate buyin it. Worse yet i regret.

Now i wish i could have contributed financially even though im just poor ges/por ;) and offcourse i would have loved taking part of the private club.

Other reasons that kept me from buying it before take over: - screenshots - no trial - other great competitors - pricing - too little reviews - too much postive customers that couldn't say more then it is great - to little insight on the men behind the program

Maybe marketing was outfought by support and effcienty. Key element of succes is balance.

I need to be convinced.

Now i can't wait till it comes out again and im sure it will be the first thingh i want to install.

Im wondering why they didn't change from lifetime fee to yearly or version fee. So many people have posted they'd rather pay on a yearly basis to keep it alive. The macleavy's were honoured for their support but they could have listenend better to their customers about the finance right?

22. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Anyone know when the free BoClean will be available for download?

Thanks,
    Jerry

23. iNsuRRecTioN

iNsuRRecTioN Registered Member

Hey,

yes, you should read more carefully :)

It will be released in a few days, in the next days upto two weeks.

best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

24. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for the information. I'm known to be in the "slow group." :)

Regards,
    Jerry

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

No you arent, keep that in mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.