Comodo Antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TheIgster, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syk69

syk69 Registered Member

If its sandboxed its not doing damage to your system. I know what your talking about I came across the same thing. Its in memory but virtualized. If you go to View active process list you will see the malicious exe and to the right of it saying virtualxxxxxx, so you right click on it and choose terminate and THEN you go to pending files and choose it to delete. That will delete it from your HDD. Or you could have just restarted the machine.

So just like in a real system when a process is running you cant delete the exe till you terminate the process. But deleting from pending files does delete the file you just have to terminate it first ;)

2. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Thanks for the info syk69, I wish they would make that more clear because to me it seemed like it got by and was running. I will check in active processes next time for this.

If you choose to delete it though from My Pending Files, you would think that Comodo would do the dirty work for you and simply end the "virtual" process as well.

I like the control you have over your system with Comodo, but I wouldn't think of loading this on my wife's system for example because she would never know how to get around or what to do. I suppose if I did, I could just say "If you don't know what you are running, then either block or sandbox it" and then once she rebooted, it would all be gone. I think all those prompts would scare her though.

3. TheIgster

I should add though, Comodo's AV portion has improved incredibly since the last time I tested it. WOW...I would say that it caught about 90% of the zero day malware that I threw at it and with D+ and the sandbox, of course nothing else got through, so it was overall, 100% effective, compared to the two other AV's I tested last night with the same 25 zero day malware links, who failed miserably.

4. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Yep, I agree. The AV is no where near as bad as people claim.

5. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Hi:
    I suggest you open sandbox setting and remove the check mark on "automaticaly detect installer/updater and run them outside sandbox". Because this way all exes are run in the sand box and also use the maximum setting on image executive control setting to "maximum".

6. dmadalton

dmadalton Registered Member

I've been using this product since it came out and have had next to no trouble out it this av catches everything the paid avs do

7. syk69

syk69 Registered Member

I thought so as well. The suite has grown on me and I too didn't have the AV part installed, was using Avast. But after testing it for a while now the AV is really really good at detecting malicious files. So much so that I'm switching over soon full time to it. Its a great suite for free and doesn't slow your computer down at all. They have done a great job with it.

Also you can surpress d+ and firewall prompts by going into more settings and choosing the tab parental controls, there's 2 check boxes to surpress them there.

8. TheIgster

Wouldn't that cause installing things to be a pain though?

9. TheIgster

But if you surpress prompts, wouldn't certain things appear to be strange and not run as expected for the user (my wife) ;) ?

10. syk69

syk69 Registered Member

Not really sure I haven't tried it myself. You could and if it does do strange things uncheck them? Hah. But I don't think she would have problems. Would defeat the purpose of having such options in the program.

11. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

If that the case, I would say that your wife would be better off with NIS than CIS.

Thanks.

12. TheIgster

Yeah, Norton isn't getting anywhere near any systems in my house. She has ESET Smart Security on there now and it seems to be doing fine for what she does.

13. clocks

clocks Registered Member

As much as I like CIS, I like Norton AV more. Some protection, just as light or lighter, but with less popups.

14. TheIgster

I've had way too many issues over the years with Symantec/Norton. I simply won't install anything from them ever again.

15. dan323

dan323 Registered Member

I have been using Comodo Complete and I think it is working fine. I am also using Malwarebytes and Hitma Pro to back it up. But over all I thunk it is really good.

16. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

@ igster also when things are running sandboxed and showing themselves a simple reboot will get rid of them as well if you dont feel like finding and ending the process at that time.. you can simply wait till you reboot and it will be gone when it starts up next time as the memory will be cleared

17. TheIgster

I understand that know, but Comodo wasn't very clear on that. I do wish if you deleted a file from Pending Files, that it removed it from memory as well. Perhaps I'll have to make a "suggestion" to them.

18. zfactor

liking this 4.1 version right now and surprised its free. it does slow things down a bit but seems to get faster the more i use the system.. overall great for a free program but its kinda heavy especially on a older system

19. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

Heavy ??
    That's the first ! Even hard-core career haters don't say it's heavy.
    What box are you runnin' ? 386 ?

20. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I have found CIS light in terms of RAM, average in terms of CPU time, and heavy in terms of virtual memory. Right now it is using 575meg of virtual mem.

21. TheIgster

Yeah, I don't get the heavy comment. I guess every system is different, but I don't notice it running at all on my system. In fact, here is the usage. What's that, 16MB usage? That's nothing. ESET was using at least 3 times that.

Attached Files:

22. zfactor

in no way do i want this to be a vs b i am simply explaining why i said it was a bit heavy feeling...

im testing on a pentium dual core t4400 notebook with 3gb ram (i consider this a bit old when compared to my i7 notebooks), startup is longer than avast is5, first run of programs takes a good while then they seem to speed up after that, the first time visiting a new web site i have not been to takes much longer than with nis2010 or avast is5

its not the memory usage i was reffering to its the overall "feel" on the system it just doesnt respond as fast overal with this. though it did speed up a lot after a few reboots and programs were run the first time.

23. TheIgster

I know what you mean by heaving "feeling". I was just posting the amount of RAM usage for argument sake. I've felt that "feeling" with other security apps/suites, but I certainly don't feel that with CIS. Very light on my system, but that doesn't mean you don't feel it on yours. Maybe after using it for a bit and more and more files are "learned", it might lighten up for you.

24. zfactor

things def got better after a few reboots but its still feels off some how. the other thing is it wants to run almost everything in the sandbox lol. it sandboxed my sound drivers, the alps touchpad, puran defrag, among most others.. i had to manuall exclude tons of stuff after i installed it. imo not at all for a basic user here.. i know what im telling it to allow and deny but i can not even imagine a non computer savy person using this or at least to its full extent..imo when set up for little to no pop ups ill bet it doesnt do much better than most others do or even worse in some cases..

25. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

The only gripes I have are when it installs something the AV shows the install files as malware. I had set it as installer when it started. It had tagged every file as malware. I had to click send FP to comodo about 22 times. The other thing is when it first runs a program for the first time it sits for 10-15 seconds. Almost like its thinking. Other than that I like it so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.