Comodo Antivirus v2: what's new?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by EraserHW, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Someone reported me that there's in development phase version 2 of new Comodo Antivirus.

Which are new features of this antivirus? Because I've read on their forum this sentence:

http://forums.comodo.com/index.php?topic=6272.msg46966#msg46966

So, because it's a bit strong sentence, has anyone tried it?

Many thanks :)

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

But not a surprising statement on a Comodo Forum!

3. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

I guess they meant no other company on the market comes close to the level of fooling customers as they do?

Before making wild claims, they should participate in some serious tests (Marx, Clementi, VB).

4. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

"Replacing Kaspersky as the most recommended AV" o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O??

Preaching to the choir is what you get at Comodo.

5. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I'm thinking of getting Comodo Anvtivirus when I see how the final version is.

6. Oliver.S

Oliver.S Registered Member

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

If Comodo AV is going to be half of what their firewall is, then KAV has no chance.
    Maybe I will replace MWAV with Comodo, but I will wait for AV Comparatives results.

8. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

you should have copied the whole post:

"replacing Kaspersky as our "Most Recommended AV"
    They can recommend what they want on their forums, doesn't mean tha someone will fall for it.

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Also, "customers" is a stretch;)
    It's freeware, and in beta. So lets just wait untill it comes out, ok?

10. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

This is it people…the moment of truth. CAV is the only antivirus that you’ll ever need. Dang, I feel sorry for AV industry. Gotta start selling my stock shares…

tD

11. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Trust me there was ALOT more I read I could have posted but I was laughing to hard to do it.
    I dont really care what they recommend on their forum but if they're going to lay claims to the BEST AV at least have some legitimate proof/testing to do it, like I said "preaching to the choir"

12. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Seeing as what they've done with their firewall, I'm not going to wholeheartedly embrace Comodo's claims, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them either.

Have any of the skeptics in this thread actually downloaded and tried the software, by any chance?

13. plantextract

but isn't that a problem here too (givven not targeted at a specific AV), a lot of users recommend AVs as "best" based on personal preference, and use test links that only show a slight adavantage to competitior X, then another user posts a test where the tables are turned and av x leads by a comple of percents. Other also recommend Avs even if they are rated inferior to others in independent testing. (i'm not naming any of them)

14. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

I'm not talking about personal preference, everyone has a personal choice when it comes to deciding security programs, it would help to see some testing on this AV though to back up what they are saying.

CAV is still in its beta stage correct ?
    Yet none of the other AV's can come close to its protection ?
    Thats a serious statement to lay claims to.

Hey if I'm wrong, I'm wrong and I'll admit it but a beta verison of an AV that is stronger than Kaspersky, NOD32, Avira, etc., well I sure as hell would like to see the proof, thats all, nothing more, nothing less.
    Not bashing Comodo I just want to see if the AV can back up what it claims thats all.

15. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

This was not an article, or white paper! Not written in stone! This is somebody personaly envolved in the development of the said AV (hell, he's the boss!), saying that on his company's forum! To Comodo's users!

Could he just not say this? Yes, it's always better to refrain from these "claims". But is it that bad, or even an issue?:D

1-beta
    2-he's not talking about signatures, but HIPS too. HIPS noisy? He says they're working on ways to keep it quiet.

Let's just wait for the final release, and then for comparatives. Why not, and why the fuss?

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

oh no i better go switch av again not!:D
    it is a big claim.
    its new to the market and i dont think it would of gone from rubbish detection to beating all av's.
    i want a proper test done from a professional before i believe even a word of it. (PS this is where IBK comes in!)
    they cant dominate all secuirty software markets.
    lodore

17. IBK

IBK AV Expert

test results of Comodo AV will be published around the 8th-10th March. 2007.

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That would be really interesting.

Thanks.

19. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I would like to see the results... :)

20. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

I want see the results too.
    Comodo will beat all companies.
    In the marketing area.:D

21. the insider

the insider Registered Member

May I remind you of the fact that their claims concerning the Comodo Firewall have become reality : it's the best protection available ! And guess what .... it's not me who is telling these things :

http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/leak-tests-results.php

So, mister Kurtzhals, I suggest you give them the benefit of the doubt that they will make this stick too o_O

22. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

the insider,

AV's and Firewall's are a completely different programs, so you can't compare the development and results... ;)

Remember that AV's depends on signatures, heuristics, emulating, unpackers, etc., and to have all of these the AV companies have to make a very hard job to add support, research malware and receiving samples from users...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  23. plantextract

in my opinion leaktest protection is a joke, there will always be programs that can bypass software firewalls. stopping them like this doesn't help.
    think of it, if something tries to leak it's probably a malware, if it gets to that point when it tries, then it's already running, so you are infected.

24. the insider

the insider Registered Member

It was this sentence which irritated me : "I guess they meant no other company on the market comes close to the level of fooling customers as they do? "
    Before anybody makes such statement they should give proof no ?:(

25. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

They used to recommend Kaspersky because they had a good experience with using the engine on the Trustix AV product. I suppose they think that now they have a good engine. But I think it will take more time for them to really be good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.