Comodo Antivirus-How good is it really?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by fenson, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenson

fenson Registered Member

Can anyone please let me know if this antivirus is good compared to Avira,Avast?I'm only interested in the free products.I am using it right now,but since Comodo is not part of any AV tests,how can anyone compare it to others?I used Unthreat without problems,but people say it's not a good av,so i installed Comodo.Thinking of trying Avira again.Didn't like Avast(slows browsing down a little).Any input about Comodo Antivirus will be appreciated.

2. siketa

siketa Registered Member

3. garrett76

garrett76 Registered Member

Did you try the latest version of Avast? They changed the webshield and now it's faster than before.
    Otherwise Avira looks the best in detection nowadays with APC module in free version or, as Siketa suggests, 360 IS, if you trust chinese software.
    As for Comodo, antivirus component is good but a bit slow in realtime and not on the level of the aforesaid softwares. Its strongest point is the autosandbox.

4. spywar

spywar Registered Member

they are not serious with the AV module...use Avira/Avast/Qihoo as AV instead.

5. peterdavidson99

peterdavidson99 Registered Member

6. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

the OP didn't ask what antivirus is our favourite,
    he wants to know about Comodo AV

from my experience, pros:
    light on CPU and RAM most of the time
    fairly good signatures (includes cloud scan for unrecognised files)
    Defense+ and auto sandbox give it an advantage over most others

cons:
    high CPU usage during updates and some downloads

if we consider (as we must) the several components (AV, HIPS, cloud, sandbox)
    then Comodo AV is up there with the very best

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

8. Wellies

Wellies Registered Member

I've used it on and off. The current version sandboxes browsers (a good feature) and it doesn't slow the computer down in my experience. Uninstalled at present because of a problem in windows 8.1 where Xbox games cannot be signed into. This may have been fixed by now though and I might try it again at a later date. The AV side is thought not too good by some but along with the other measures it has, I think the overall protection is pretty good.

9. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Comodo relies on HIPS/ auto sandboxing etc for great zero day protection so the AV component is more of an other defence layer but not the main one. Therefore the signatures are`nt as vital to it as maybe they once where.(Not the worst either)

Unthreat has good signatures(Vipre) but no real zero day features.

Why not combine them both, Unthreat AV plus Comodo firewall and have the best of both worlds?

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's not bad, but it's still ridiculously slow (real-time scanning) despite all the optimizations. They just seem like they are entirely gone after each system restart and only seems fast when repeating on-demand scans.

11. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

12. fenson

fenson Registered Member

Thank you all for your replies.I do use 360IS on my laptop witch is Windows 7 64-bit 4 gigs RAM,but my main pc was Vista,changed to 7,but only has 2 gig ram(that is all it can have).Because of that,360 uses a little too much ram for the pc.I did try the new Avast,but that was before the last update.I do not want to use another firewall other than Windows.

13. garrett76

well, if you are low on ram, imho Avast is the best.
    I have in my office a very old pc with 1,5 gb of ram and Avast is the only one that doesn't make the pc unusable.

14. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

When I used CIS (both the AV and FW) it rarely used more than 20 mb
    on the same machine Avast never goes below 40 mb

15. garrett76

Really? On my machines is exactly the opposite: Avast uses about 10-15 mb and Comodo 30-40 (on idle). Also, when CIS updates it makes the pc with 1,5 gb unusable for a couple of minutes because of high use of cpu. No problems with Avast updates instead.

16. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

I'm on Win7 64

I noticed the high CPU usage as well

17. fenson

fenson Registered Member

Thank you all.I think i will stick with Comodo Antivirus.I just tried Avira,& i didn't expect that it used so much more ram.At one point i used Unthreat & Kingsoft 2012 together.They both are light,but i was unsure about the protection,so i switched to Comodo.Maybe i will try Avast again,but i think i'm staying with CA.

18. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

When properly tweaked under proactive protection with maximum setting and HIPS and sandboxed used. Specially sandboxing the browser and virtualizing the unknowns instead of partial limit, Makes it a very strong and killer AV with one if not the best protection around.

Now to make it thoroughly rock-solid and un-penetrable is to use the virtual kiosk for all your doing.

If you use virtual kiosk in everything you do, you will not get infected at all and will always be protected. I think everyone should use virtual kiosk (like a virtual windows, like running in a virtual machine) in comodo.

I say this because under virtual kiosk I tried everything from infecting the pc with MBR and tdss rootkits to all kinds of malwares and tampering and nothing made it through.

19. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Bitdefender free and Sandboxie are very light and they provide top notch protection.

20. Pat MacKnife

Pat MacKnife Registered Member

For free i would choose between Qihoo 360 or Avira free, all the others are bloated
    comodo is also heavy on resources.

21. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

well protection wise and smooth and fast running, I prefer comodo virtual kiosk over all others. 360IS sandbox has some compatibility with some extensions.Snadboxie still causes some issue for me. Both of these effect browsing and its smoothness to some degree. now with comodo virtual kiosk, I have top speed browsing and downloading and doing everything and with confidence that nothing can infect my pc as kiosk isolates my real machine via a virtual windows.

22. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

I would still go with avast or qihoo...Avira is still kind of developing stuff.It isnt reliable right now.COMODO as usual and just as predicted earlier on by me were about to go downhill.Hopefully,Mellih and his fanboys dont get mad about this and learn a bitter lesson. Rather spend time on their AV rather than mellih's stupid hair gell LOL.

Its no more COMODO with those big hypes of Cloud and DACS and stuff.Now its full of bypasses and it is FLOPMODO!! Sorry Fanboys.

23. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Because fenson has made a decision, we'll close this thread. Thank you all for participating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.