comodo and sandboxie

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mantra, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi
    after i installed comodo firewall , sandboxie paid mode last version stopped to work

i can not run any programs inside sandboxie ,after i have installed comodo firewall

well before i could use sandboxie without problems

so it's a problem related to comodo

is there a way to use sandboxie with comodo installed?

comodo firewall 5.3

thanks
    cheers

2. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

I had an issue with Comodo after several years usage when I installed SBxie. Who needs Comodo when you have SBxie ?

Comodo vs. Sbxie = No contest. Dump Comodo and choose anther Firewall and/or AV program which is compatible with SBxie. Make SBxie your No.1 security priority and any AV or AM program subservient to it. SBxie will protect you 100%, all you need the other programs for is extra insurance.

John

3. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I'm using Sandboxie 3.52 and Comodo Firewall 5.3 without any problems. I have Defense+ configured to act solely as an anti-executable though, with execution control enabled and all of the HIPS monitoring and the sandbox disabled.

I don't know whether or not you've got the Comodo sandbox enabled, but if you have I wonder if that might be the cause of the conflict with Sandboxie.

4. John Bull

If you are using Comodo with their little sandbox, then disable it or better still get rid of it, you do not need their secondary sandpit when using superb SBxie. Two sandboxes is like having two left feet.

As I have already stated, any program that conflicts with SBxie, gets dumped fast in my world.

John

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

well i don't want to use the comodo sandbox
    i want to use sandboxie

so the only way to have both installed and use sanboxie is to set defencse+ like your
    can you post a screenshot of defense+ setting ,please?

it's sad they are not compatible!
    2 great free software

6. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I use both sandboxie paid and CIS v5 with sandbox on. I don't have any issue and they work well together. Have you tried putting comodo in training mode? You might also look at some of D+ settings and make sure that its trusted. IF all else fails uninstall sandboxie and then install it under training mode in comodo.

7. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

no issues either. Never faced any problems.

8. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I have had no prob with both Sandboxie free and CIS having its sandbox enabled as well.

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I plan to remove Prevx and OA on one of my computers (keeping Sandboxie in place), and I'm looking hard at either AIS or CIS. All of you guys who say CIS and Sandboxie work well together... thanks for the valuable opinions. The majority of posts I have read on that combo all back up your assertions. People who say otherwise tend to be either limited in their pc comprehension skills or their set ups have some fatal flaw that they have not yet been able to identify. kjdemuth's advice to, "uninstall sandboxie and then install it under training mode in comodo" (if all else fails) looks pretty solid to me. :thumb:

10. kjdemuth

Thanks page42.
    I've installed/uninstalled sandboxie and CIS v5 at least 3 times. (I really should have an imaging program). The one time I did have a problem was a bad install on CIS. I've always installed sandboxie first and then CIS.

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I'm thinking SBIE and CIS because CIS is a little longer in the tooth than AIS... that is, I think CIS has been available (and developed) over a greater period of time. But AIS is tempting because I am very familiar with avast. Reading of the experiences you guys have with CIS and SBIE is quite helpful. :)

12. kjdemuth

Just my 2 cents page.
    I used sandboxie and AIS once. AIS sandbox I believe is similar to sandboxie. It virtualizes the object. CIS sandbox is more like a policy restriction, similar to geswall. I liked the fact that CIS and sandboxie didn't overlap protection. Also I liked D+ and that it knew that it was a very strong HIPS. I can live with/without CIS AV. It does actually catch alot of things but I'm not worried if it doesn't. Between sandboxie and D+ plus all my demand scanners and shadowdefender (on demand), I don't worry too much about AV missing something. Hope this helps.

13. mantra

mantra Registered Member

sorry but what is it AIS ?

what i hate about comodo is the removal tool ,the bat file , it does not let you make a clean install

a friend of mine has a notebook and she is seldon on internet , she asked me if she can run comodo firewall on demand ,
    i set the service manual
    and a create a bat file
    should do the trick ?

14. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Hmmm...I do not have any issues with SBIE and CISver5 here. I have set D+ in Paranoid last week in a Win7 x32 with SBIE and also no problems...

Might you want to disable CIS sandbox and see what happens...

AIS is Avast Internet Security. I tried it once and liked CIS better. Also AIS does not have a function to terminate a connection. You'd have to use Process Hacker to do that(much like Privatefirewall).

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  15. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

It actually does help, a lot. I want to make this set up change tomorrow, and I have literally been going back and forth in my mind trying to decide between AIS and CIS. AIS was getting the upper hand (as I mentioned, I am very familiar with avast), but your points about D+ and the CIS sandbox being more like GeSWall (I ran GeSWall Pro for a long time) resonated. I am pretty sure that tomorrow I will uninstall OA and Prevx from one computer and install CIS. I'll let ya know how it goes. ;)

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Comodo Firewall and Sandboxie works fine together for me. What OS are you on?

17. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Don't know if you're asking me, J_L... but I'm XP,SP3 on both boxes.

18. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I'm asking the OP.

19. pegr

pegr Registered Member

No, I wasn't saying that. I just wondered whether it might be a possible source of conflict. From what other posters have been saying, it doesn't sound like that is the case. I run Defense+ on my XP SP3 Pro system with the HIPS and sandbox disabled as a matter of choice, not for reasons of compatibility with Sandboxie.

It sounds more likely that in your case there may be some kind of underlying conflict with your overall system configuration, possibly involving a third-party program or driver, and possibly also the specific OS version you are using.

20. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi

w7 64bit on one pc
    w7 32bit and xp sp3 on a second pc

thanks

21. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Which is the pc experiencing conflicts with both software?

22. mantra

mantra Registered Member

both :(
    w7 64bit ,w7 32bit ,xp 32bit

i will try to uninstalll sandboxie and re-install , and set the defese+ in paranoid and allow..

i will try

thanks

23. Prole

Prole Registered Member

Are you using the full suite (antivirus - D+ - Firewall)?

I know 2 people running both Sandboxie and the full Comodo suite with no problems. One is using XP 32 and the other is using Win7-64.

It's probably an old driver or something causing a problem.
    It could even be a sidebar gadget installed on your desktop -- it could be anything.

However, you could maybe check your D+ settings.
    Under D+ --> Image execution settings --> Detect shell code injections (is it checked? if so uncheck it and see if Sandboxie works.)
    You should maybe reboot.
    If it works, go back and check the box, but ckick the Exclusions button and add Sandbaxie to the list.

Attached Files:

• D+.JPG
      D+.JPG
      File size:
      31.2 KB
      Views:
  24. mantra

mantra Registered Member

no firewall +defense+

thanks
    no way
    i tried to disable defense+
    i can not run any program inside the sandboxie
    i stopped the service and again i can't run a program inside sandoboxieo_O o_O o_O

i did tried Thats the problem.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  25. John Bull

At the risk of getting an avalanche of kicks, this is my experience.

I use Sandboxie exclusively and of a priority way above anything else in the security line. It works 100%. I have not had a single infection since I installed it some months ago and I have visited all kinds of sites, good and bad.

I used Comodo CIS-v3 for a long time pre-SBxie with great success and no problems. Then they updated to CIS-v4 with an infernal sandbox. It did not work at all and after 4+ re-installs, I dumped Comodo and refuse to touch it ever again.

I reckon if you choose another FW (OA has problems with SBxie also) plus a good AV program for insurance with non-SBxied programs, then use SBxie to open your browser, all will be perfect. Theorists may say an AV is redundant when using SBxie, take no notice of them. An AV will not fight SBxie and if it does no harm and gives back-up security, why enter into a futile non-productive argument ?

Bottom line - get rid of Comodo and stay clear of OA.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.