comodo and sandboxie

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by theshadow247, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theshadow247

theshadow247 Registered Member

comodo keeps on asking for me to allow sandboxie to open opera browser.sandboxie is set to open my defualt browser,opera.if i leave component monitor on i have no problem opening opera.but after turning on c.m.comodo keeps on asking me to allow it even after checking remember answer.......

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Just to clarify: Is the question you get from Comodo always exactly the same (after you´ve checked the always remember option) because if you have not set comodo to "low" on alerts you will get prompts for many things that apps can do with your internet connection (like new parents, new or changed .dll files or OLE/COM automation attempts)

I am not suggesting that you don't, but for general preference; it is vital to read the prompts you get from comodo carefully since I have noticed that many users think that all the prompts are the same even though they tell different things (the bold text in a prompt)
    When I first started to use Comodo I thought that it wouldn't remember what I told it, but noticed after a while that Comodo actually told me it was different things it warned me about. It is a bit unlucky that the prompts have the same text mostly (with just the bold text in the popup that differs)
    I have every protection turned on in Comodo but I have turned alerts on to "Low" so I wont get bothered with alerts that I don't care about.

btw I use sandboxie with Comodo. I don't use Opera with it though, but when I use sandboxie to launch a browser (mostly IE) it works nice and I dont get prompts from Comodo more than the initial ones I got when launching Sandboxie the first time when Comodo didn't know about it..

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  3. theshadow247

thanks.sukarof.its the same message every time.after looking around i still can't find the option for the alert's.to set to low....

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

In Security- Advanced- Miscelaneous- Configure- Alert Frequency Level.

5. theshadow247

thanks.Someone.thats not the problem its already set to low..

ok the message i keep getting is as follows.there are unknown components in opera.exe that requier approval before proceding with this request please click the show libraries to view.in libraries is c:/sandboxiehelper.dll.unknown.allow...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  6. sukarof

Hi theshadow247

I was a bit hasty when I said that sandboxie runs fine. I dont run sandboxie with IE that often so I have forgotten how it behaved. But I can confirm that Comodo does not remember the setting for Sandboxiehelper.dll (is that the same for you?)

Every time I start IE sandoxed I get the popup (see pics)
    I check the component control and I do have the rule for that file (allowed) in the component monitor list.
    It seems like a bug.
    I will post this in the Comodo forum too.

Attached Files:

7. sukarof

When looking what the "unknown component" is.
    Even if I check the "remember..." it wont stick.
    The only way to get rid of the popup is to put "component monitor" on learning mode, but thats no good. :(

Attached Files:

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I see you already posted in the right forum(Comodo). Note that i'm no expert:
    Have you checked Security- Tasks- Define a new trusted Application? You can set the app and its parent.
    I haven't tried this, but i didn't need it yet either.

edit- Sukarof i think pin points it. I didn't know there was a bug with Sandboxie

9. theshadow247

as you where poting i was editing my post.as you see from my adited post its exactly the same.i posted in the comodo forum but got no responce yet

10. sukarof

I have posted in the comodo forums now (reply to your post). Lets see what the dev team has to say about it.

11. theshadow247

hi.sukarof.i just read your post in the comodo forum.the dev's should do something about it now.thanks...

12. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

A workaround is:- go to the Sandboxie installation folder, and copy "SandboxieHelper.dll" to your c:\ drive

First answered here

13. sukarof

Thanks Stem. Another one of the (to me) magical Windows things that one can do if nothing else helps :D I would never have figured that one out. I wonder what the logic behind that is...

14. theshadow247

thanks.Stem.it worked like a charm.cheers....

15. Nature

Nature Registered Member

Just to add...
    If you have component monitor on learning, it usually learn things...
    It also allows all the dll's for one app.

If you have it on ON, you will get prompted for every DLL file.
    That will make A LOT of popups...

You should have it on learning a few weeks, and then put it to on.
    I always have it on learning... and will probably never put it to on...

16. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

From my limited installation of this combination, either: Comodo is incorrectly reporting the location of the DLL,.. OR,.. sandboxie is moving this DLL for temp use. (I did not look into this further than to find a workaround).

You may as well (if there is the option) to disable DLL control, as it will give you no protection if in "learning" mode permanently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.