Comodo 3 not alerting me for inbound/outbound requests

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by subferno, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subferno

subferno Registered Member

I am just using the basic firewall with Defense disabled. I have the firewall set to custom level.

I want all alerts when any of my programs try to access the web. I know there is some safe list that automatically grants access but I don't want to use it.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Custom level should warn you. I haven't Comodo installed right now, but i *think* that in miscellaneous, there is an option "automatically allow trusted applications". Uncheck it and see what happens.

3. subferno

That is part of Defense+ but I already disabled the component completely.

4. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Did you choose 'remember' when you allowed programs access?

Attached Files:

5. subferno

These alerts should be brand new requests so it shouldn't matter.

6. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, subferno

I think what Joliet Jake meant by the question was that if you had check the remember or not.

If you had checked it then you would not be getting any alerts, because you would have given the program access to the web.

If you had not done so then there must be another reason for not getting any alerts.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

7. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Trying it out now very nice GUI but man this is loaded with features. It also says I have the pro firewall No clue why? But O Well as long as it works.

8. subferno

I am looking at "Network Security Policy" which contains all the rules for any kind of connections on my system. I even manually removed all the rules to ensure that the next time an app is initiated, that an alert should come up. The app in question isnt even in the rules list. Well, I am still not getting any alerts. It seems as if a global rule or some preceeding rule is getting hit first which is granting access.

9. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

The name of the product is called " Comodo Firewall Pro" thats why it says pro. There is only one version and its all free.

10. Dieselman

If you want to see all your alerts again which I dont know why after the firewall has learned everything then why dont you just to a complete uninstall and reinstall. Use Revo Uninstaller. So what your saying is that you want to see an alert for any program all the time? So everytime you open up IE or FF you need to click allow? Why might I ask.

11. Fuzzfas

If i were you, i would try:

- Uninstall/reinstall.
    - Seek help to Comodo forum.
    - Format my PC, because i saw in your post history that it is not the first time you have odd bugs with firewalls. A format heals everything.

12. subferno

No, I don't want an alert every single time I open up IE or FF. I removed all of my rules to ensure that I get the alerts the first time around. Then I will tell it to remember my choices. But I am still not getting any alerts.

I did a reinstall like three times already. I checked the Comodo forums and a few people seem to have the same questions as to why alerts are not showing up. It seems that some Comodo safe list or some superior rule is in place that is granting access for these connection request. To those people, the response satisfied them, but I don't want some "list" to make decisions for me.

I am trying to hold out from formatting my PC until SP3 comes out so I am looking for a fine grained firewall, or at least something similar to Outpost to trial out right now.

13. Dieselman

Format is the wrong idea. I never have had to reformat.

14. Dieselman

I guess I don't really get your problem. Comodo may not ask permission from certain apps cause it knows they are safe. ZA does the same. Both companies have a very good white list.

15. Fuzzfas

You are not him... :D Have you ever wondered why programs have "normal bugs" that every user experiences, and then there are a few fellas that have some really heavy and "weird" bugs that the others can't find?

The answer is either conflict with running applications or a very old windows installation with damaged registry from many install/reinstalls of programs that hooked down in the system and never cleanly uninstall.

Even Revo Uninstaller (that i use too, together with AShampoo Uninstaller), won't clean everything. Usually, security applications, after these 2 uninstallers and 3 registry cleaners, still leave behind trash in HK local machine/system/current control sets#/enum/root for example. They can't be cleaned by no uninstaller, because they are locked, unless you change manually the permission and delete them by hand in regedit.

Sometimes i see people with unbeleivable bugs and i almost have the impulse to install the same program on my pc, make a video out of it and say "My X application is better than your X application"...

16. Dieselman

I fix pc's on the side and reformatting is always the last choice. If I reformatted it takes me week till my pc is back to where it was. I have about 200 apps. Registry Mechanic does wonders by the way Fuzz.

17. Fuzzfas

Of course it's the last choice. I reformat and have my pc ready in 2,5 hours. Only about 100 apps though. I have all ready on a dvd and a customized Win XP cd made with Nlite.

Well, tell him to use Registry Mechanic then... With some PCs wonders is exactly what is required.

18. subferno

Yes, I think it is that white list that Comodo is using that doesn't alert me.

I am so use to Outpost and how it lets me manage my connections, I guess I am unwilling to accept any other method of protection that will make things easier for me.

19. Dieselman

I tried Otpost 2008 and it blocks everything. Ads,banners,sites. Its nice that Comodo as worked so hard in making such a ~Phrase removed - Ron~ list known. It even knew WOW was a trusted program.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2008
  20. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Ok great thanks

21. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

If you are using custom then the safelist is not applied (or at least it shouldn't). Are you using any program that creates a localhost proxy (e.g. NOD32, Avast)? Make sure that the option to intercept loopback connections is enabled (Firewall -> Advanced -> Firewall Bahavior Settings -> Alert Settings -> Enable alerts for loopback requests)

22. subferno

Now that you mentioned it, I think Kaspersky has a process called avp which intercepts all calls. I will try out Comodo again to confirm this.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.