Comodo 3.0.15.277

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Dieselman, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Have you tried it? Stable? How is it compared to Zone Alarm?

3. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

This is nothing.

Egemen said
    So i guess soon we will have another update fixing other issues.

4. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

what's life without a constant stream of updates o_O

new version running well here,
    glad the windows update problem has been fixed, at first glance it seems pending files has been toned down a bit ................ lets hope so.

5. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Does the firewall do hash checks? Is it still easy to bypass it by just deleting a trusted file and putting malware of the same name and path?

6. Dieselman

Ok so my new Dell WOW Editon laptop came in and after using PC Defrapifier to get rid of all the junk installed apps I thought I would try Comodo again. Welll I think they toned down the alerts cause I dont get now where near as many pop ups. Seem to be ok for now. I like PC Mag review. I tired OA before Comodo and there are way too many pop ups and the not being able to resize theGUI drives me nuts cause you cant see the whole strings. I know I am a ZA fan but I thought I would try Comodo again on a new pc and I am liking it.

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I had a bit of a misunderstanding myself on that issue.
    Look at the rules for explorer (if you don't get lost in the GUI...) and you will see it is allowed to do those actions. CFP doesn't check hashes because it is able to detect and block before the change occurs.

The correct test is to try that same operation, not with explorer, but with something else, like xplorer2 lite for instance.

My problem with this is if i turn off file protection and so on, hashes become important. It is being looked at, and future version should do something about it.
    And i hope a fix on the GUI is on the way as well.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

HAah check is very important idue to this reason. I don,t know why they ignored it.

And how the FW verifies an application when u turn off Defence+?

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

In my case, SSM free :)
    But i don't remember the difference. Wait i found it. Egemen said:

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That,s Ok but hash check must be there!

11. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Perhaps Comodo has placed too much reliance on D+.

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I think they only didn't think through all scenarios.

Because, if you use the whole package, i really start to think hashes are too much. It doesn't detect changes, it blocks them.
    If you had another pop up for hash, everyone would complain more about how noisy it is. Defense+ all on, hash check is overlap i think.

But if we get the option to check for hashes, 1 for firewall allowed applications, and maybe another option for Defense+ rules, and those options off by default, could be a good compromise. You could then be alerted when turning off features (file protection) that you might want hashes on.

This whole thing is giving me a headache. :p

13. Fuzzfas

To me the worst part of Comodo is pending files. It can become annoying after a while. I don't care about hashes. I just wish they eliminated the need for pending files.

14. Dieselman

Hey you can finally gain access to Comodo through the desktop short cut instead of the taskbar icon. :D

15. sunking

sunking Registered Member

I completely fail to understand your problem. Simply ignore pending files!!! It's just a list of files that aren't on the whiteliste so far and it doesn't do any harm if you just ignore it. Turn off auto-submit and forget about it...

16. Dieselman

True............the pending files thing goes crazy when you first install it but after it has learned all your apps and you have purged them from pending files whats the big deal. How many times do you need to open up the GUI and see whats going on.

17. Fuzzfas

Let me explain then.

1) I hate pending issues generally. I like cleaning everything. Something pending is something you are bored to fix and can only lead to problems.

2) The problem with pending files is that they aren't just "any" files. They are regarded as not safe by Comodo and so if you try to execute them, they will ask again for permission or cause trouble. Specially if other security application files end up in the pending files.

3) Pending files remind you of themselves and ask you if you want to review them. I always say yes, because of point No.1.

4) If you ignore your pending files completely, and assuming that you won't have applications that will prompt you again for a permission you already had given, you will end up like this:

10000 Files... Now what?
    http://forums.comodo.com/empty-t18084.0.html

Which defeats human reason IMHO. That poor guy, even after a purge, will have still thousands. He won't stay there to review them one by one to see if they are safe. Either he will have to upload them to Comodo and wait till midnight to finish or he will simply select all and "move to safe", which beats the whole purpose of the pending files.

5) I prefer not doing the daily cleaner of my firewall. Even for the entire system, nowdays people have automated tools to do that (CCleaner for example). There are plenty of free HIPS out there that can spare you the hassle of cleaning themselves. Giving manual permission for alerts is already enough for me. The easiest way from A to B, is to go directly. Of course you can go to C,D and then jump to B. But makes no sense to me.

Comodo is very nice application, but if you have specific programs that generate a lot of pending files or you install often programs, it can brake your nerves. Specially if you are not THAT mad about security to want desperately Comodo's HIPS. I can live with SSM free that "autocleans" its own rules. I won't be infected. I don't HAVE to live with pending files.

18. Dieselman

Coolio...................where are you.

19. Dieselman

For that guy to have so many pending files thats kinda his fault for never opeing up the GUI. Thats like never washing out your cookies or temps files then wondering why cCleaner takes 10 min.

20. sunking

sunking Registered Member

I think you are overrating the meaning of those pending files, they serve but one single purpose, to help comodo populate their whitelist and you either decide to spend your time to do work for them or you don't and ignore that "feature". I'm doing the latter one as I have better things to do.

21. Fuzzfas

Hello, my understanding is that they do more than making richer Comodo's databank. It is the crucial point of decision whether something is to be added to the safelist or not (which will cause another prompt).

http://forums.comodo.com/empty-t16339.0.html

But it is a matter of interpretation i guess. In any case, why should i clean even my anitivirus' files from my firewall? It sounds idiotic to me. Who makes me do ito_O

Comodo was the reason i ditched Bit Defender. Although i guess i should be grateful, because now i decided to run with no resident AV. Bit Defender adds about a dozen new entries in pending files after every hourly update. No matter if you submit them or not, they get modified so end up there again. How stupid is it to clutter the list with the files of your own antivirus?

Am i less safe now with Kerio 2 + TF + Sandboxie? No, i don't think so. Waiting for the evolution of Comodo with hope. It's great but for people who don't mess up much with their PC.

22. Dieselman

It's great but for people who don't mess up much with their PC.

What do you mean by that?

23. Fuzzfas

People who have a configuration and leave it alone. For those that use their PC for trying new software all the time, it can be tiring.

24. Dieselman

Well its all find and dandy to keep trying new things but most people don't uninstall properly or clean out there registry of left over files from products they uninstall. I have used NOD32 for the past year and that will always be my AV. Was using ZAAS for my firewall but on my new laptop I will keep Comodo. People who keep uninstalling and installing new apps every other day without cleaning out the old apps are only looking for conflicts and other problems.

25. rxtian

rxtian Registered Member

Gee, I had 55,000 files in the Pending Defense file this morning awaiting Review. There were another 44,489 tonight. I figured out that most of them were from external drives, probably from redoing backups and Acronis Images.

Then I tried to submit 6 piddling Canon Files. No Sheet, I recieved an "Error" Comodo had to close.

Close? You betcha, as in Uninstalled.
    10 minutes later, Online Armor was installed. I like it so far. I used to like and trust Comodo also. No more. The Comodo Forum is like a Ghost Town, so I guess I am by far not the first Rat to desert the sinking ship.

Oh Well, 1 down - 7 personal and family computers to go.
    I got tired of being disComodoed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.