Commtouch bought Command Anti-Malware from Authentium

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Arin, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arin

Arin Registered Member

2. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Interesting news. Command AM was a very simple to use AM... Lets see how it becomes...

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I had superb support from the UK team over several years of use when it was Command Antivirus; CSAV . Very light footprint and fast scanning.

But Command/Authentium AntiVirus was always pitched at the Corporate/Enterprise market and this was reflected in the relatively high retail cost of the Home products.

So it is/was rare to see it tested outside of Virus Bulletin but it uses the F-Prot engine so detection of the two is/was always very similar when tested together; both probably Tier2/Tier3 standard.

So overall, IMO, CSAV/Command AntiMalware is no great loss to the Home market which was never the target. But it will be of interest to see whether a Home product is still continued.

Another AV company is swallowed up.

4. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Actually if I remember correctly Command had a smaller database of it's own malware on-top of the F-Prot engine.

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Yes, they were supposed to add their own signatures but nearly all of the tests that I have seen with the old F-Prot version 3 engine in CSAV and the newer engine in Command AntiMalware all showed basically the same results between Frisk and Authentium; no great surprise.

6. Arin

Arin Registered Member

Trying CSAV5 right now. It is fast and light. I can also see cloud scanning feature. But I'm not happy with the updater. A few times the updating simply fails to connect to the update server.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.