Comments on new TI 9 User's Guide

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Howard Kaikow, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I see that Acronis used Acrobat 6 to create the PDF.
    That's OK, but the PDF should have been created using PDF compatible with earlier versions of Acrobat. This can be done with an option in Acrobat Distiller.

So, unless there is a need to use some feature of Acrobat 6, not in earlier versions, and I doubt that there is such a need, PDF should be created to be compatible with the lowest version possible.

The reason for this is that folkes having a FULL Acrobat version earlier than version 6 might not be able to run the Acrobat 6 Reader. This has been a known problem ever since Acrobat 6 was released.

2. Howard Kaikow

Dag nab it!

There is still no index!

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Howard,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We use Adobe Acrobat 6 to create user's guides for Acronis products because it has several important improvements in comparison with earlier versions. The most important ones are related to the ability to create multilingual documents which is very important for us when we distribute localized versions. In spite of the fact that we use Adobe Acrobat 6, all currently available Acronis user's guides can be read using Adobe Acrobat Reader 4 and higher versions. Moreover, Adobe Acrobat Reader is a freeware and therefore everyone can obtain it's latest version at the respective web site.

As for the conflict between the full Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Acrobat Reader versions installed on the same computer, we recommend you to contact Adobe Systems Support Team. They will probably provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

4. Howard Kaikow

Nope, when this problem was raised back when Acrobat 6 was released, Adobe did nothing about it. A number of folkes posted about this problem, so being a naturally shy individual, I could not even summon the courage to try installed Acrobat Reader 6 on a system with the full Acrobat 5.

Acrobat 6 may make it easier to create multilingual versions, but that does not mean that Acrobat 6 cannot save as earlier version of PDF. Depends on what features are used in th document.

5. HW11

HW11 Registered Member

I use Acrobat 5 along with Acrobat Reader 7 with no real problems (they occasionally trip over each other). By that, I mean that occasionally when I open a PDF file in Internet Explorer, it will open with Acrobat 5, rather than Acrobat Reader 7.

6. Howard Kaikow

Could be that Adobe corredted the problem with Acrobat Reader 7.

My recollection is that the problems were more severe than just opening with the wrong version.

So far, I've encounterted only 1 PDF document that I could not open in Acrobat 5. In some cases, others may not have displayed correctly.

My point was that it's OK to use the latest Acrobat to create PDF, but do not needlesly save the PDF as a higher version than is REQUIRED.

I see this issue at a lot of companies. Within companies, some groups do the right thing, whilst othes do not, likely because they are not aware of the issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.