Comments on Linksys WAG354G wireless ADSL2+ modem router

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Defenestration, Jul 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

After a lot of looking for an ADSL modem/router, I've decided on a Linksys WAG354G which is priced reasonably and appears reasonably future-proof with ADSL2+ and WPA2 (with AES) support.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...99879/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/026-8792883-3438026

Before I actually go ahead with the purchase, I just wanted to get any final comments on the good/bad points of this particular modem/router.

PS. If money was no object I would probably go with the Linksys WAG54GX2-UK, but it's over twice the price :)

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I personally don't think you can go wrong with Linksys. I have used Them for years with no problems at all.

bigc

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I generally agree, although if there is one issue that I'd have with Linksys is the occasional major change in hardware/firmware that is not transparently clear from their model numbering conventions. For example, I just picked up a second Linksys WRT54GS with plans flash some 3rd party firmware, configure, then to pass it onto my son when he heads off to college - but a somewhat disabled version 5 is what is on the shelves of late, which now has non-Linux based (VxWorks) firmware and about half the RAM/flash memory of previous versions. Some 3rd party firmware has just hit the Internet (see DD-WTR and Bitsum.com), but it is still in the early stages of developments, although it works fine in my hands. I would have preferred a slight rename of the product to reflect the fairly substantial change in direction since I had purchased this model for the explicit ability to use some of the advanced settings in the 3rd party firmware that are unavailable in the native Linksys firmware.

It's a minor point, but I'd recommend a quick search with respect to current version capabilities just to confirm it is exactly what you want. In my case, I would have likely opted for the WRT54GL instead of WRT54GS had I known in advance.

Blue

4. Defenestration

Thanks for the info. What kind of features/capabilities can you get with 3rd party firmware that you cannot get with the standard Linksys firmware ?

5. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

6. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

You are better off getting the Buffalo WHR-G54S, cheaper, and even more compatible than the Linksys with third-party firmware.

As for the Modem-router, it looks fine. I'm personally not that big of a fan of combined router-modems. Always seem to not be as good as two separate units.

7. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

But the ability to customize!

Knowing exactly what the box is using [linux] and how it's using it, has and will lead to better developments in the usability.

8. Defenestration

Hmmm.... now I'm not so sure about my original choice. :) While the Amazon page lists it as supporting WPA2 with AES encryption, I e-mailed Linksys who say it doesn't. From what I've read, all the other security like WEP and WPA have been cracked, so unless it comes with WPA2 with AES, then it's not secure to use wirelessly.

I may go the separates route as you suggest, so I can upgrade the firmware with one of the third-party alternatives.

Thanks for the info guys! The search begins....... again...... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.