Comments about F-Prot AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by larouse, Sep 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larouse

larouse Registered Member

Hi,

I am looking ine light AV because like to install in one Laptop Pentium III with 512 MB, the Laptop use is Normal, Not Game, Not much surfing, Not Much Email's.....is to work and I am considering F-Prot AV, like to know read some comments about F-Prot ?

Thank you,

2. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Personally I think F-Prot is still an amazing product. I can recommend you to use it. The detection is quite well (based on AV-Comperatives), the speed is good and it uses almost no RAM (950kb).
    Also their support is good, and you can use your (cheap) license for 5 computers!

3. berenpx

berenpx Registered Member

I've an old laptop I still use occassionaly (Celeron 366 MHz, 192 Mb RAM).

F-Prot is the perfect AV under these circumstances. The memory footprint seldom goes over 2,000 K, and it doesn't slow down the computer in a noticeble way.

4. Sputnik

Not only under these circumstances I think. People might think I'm a F-Prot evangelist but I've opinion it's the most under-rated AV at the moment. It's exellent on gaming machines or graphics workstation (because of the speed). But also for students (due the low price). Bit plus is also that because of it's easy design there are no "non-compatible" programs like we see with other AV's.

5. berenpx

Yes, I agree with you!
    I guess I should have mentioned that I also use F-Prot on my 2 other computers. ;)

6. waters

waters Registered Member

I find it the lightest of all i have tried.I also like it the best

7. Sputnik

That's very good news, more F-Prot users! Anyway (it might be offtopic) what firewall are you guys using with it? I think we have the same taste about light so i'm curious about your choises in that :)

8. berenpx

Did use Outpost before, but now I feel it's enough with router's firewall (yes, despite not having any outgoing protection ;) )

9. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

It's an excellent, low-impact, meat and potatoes AV. Terrific protection, and terrific value.

10. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

One of the best antivirus programs on the market. It won't let you down.... ;)

tECHNODROME

11. waters

waters Registered Member

Look n stop and f-prot.

12. TNT

TNT Registered Member

I wouldn't say I recommend it. We use F-Prot in the office and it's been caught off guard quite a few times. It seems good at finding traditional viruses but frankly, it's not very good at all at detecting trojans. With the recent development in malware, I'd say that F-Prot is quite far from being the best choice.

13. Cap'n Kirk

Cap'n Kirk Registered Member

I am using F-Prot on all three of the pc's in my house. With two teens and the web sights they can find, I have not had one thing get by F-Prot. Can't beat the price with the 5 licenses included.

14. waters

waters Registered Member

I moved to f-prot when the antivirus i was using found trojandownloader bbq a.
    This was verified by other scanners,all it would do is say it was quarantined,but it was not ,it was still there.
    F-PROT found it within seconds and removed it,no problem.This put me off the other antivirus,which i kept trying because it was also light ,but cant trust it now,it detected it but would not do anything with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.