Comment and results:TI9 v 3666 reading spanned DVD image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Azdon, Jun 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azdon

Azdon Registered Member

I had made a full disk image placed on 2 DVDs (6 volumes) with TI9 v 3633, but 3633 could't read them, etc. Today I used v 3666 rescue boot CD to see it would read the image above. It did. I have some questions and comments:

After several disk switches TI then presented the restore proceed screen. What I had intended to do as a test was 'restore' one file, but TI appeared to be getting ready to restore an entire folder. I was never shown a tree to select one file. Did I do something wrong? I realize I could have copied the 6 volumes to a folder on the drive then mounted the image, but this was only a test. In real life I actually use an external USB drive for storing images, but I wanted to test v 3666 with spanned DVD image. It appeared to work, up to the 'proceed' step at least. I aborted at that point because it appeared the entire folder was being restored.

I have both a DVD burner and a DVD ROM drive on the computer. Instead of switching the two disks numerous times is it possible to have both DVD drives be the 'source' , which would solve the switching?

Anyway, looks like 3666 solved many of the DVD image issues. BTW, I used verbatum 16x DVD +R media.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  2. corinthian

corinthian Registered Member

Azdon, do you feel the verbatum 16x +R disc contributed to your success at being able to read the disk? Often I have received messages about "low quality media" and other error messages using maxell dvd+rw. Though fully erased, these were not brand new disks. I have been trying to get some comments as to whether it could make any dif if a disk was new or used, or if brand mattered, or if It would work better with a DVD+R instead of dvd+rw. Do you have an opinion on this?
    Thanks
    Bill

3. Azdon

Azdon Registered Member

Bill, I don't have any experience with RW media. I think verbatum +R is a good media and that is what I use mostly for burning movies, etc. and have not had any problems. In general, I think up-dating the burner firmware is the single most important factor. I have also used some Maxell +R media without problems. I think reading these images sucessfully was due to Acronis up-dating from v 3633 to v 3666. Although the image was made with rescue v 3633 CD, v 3633 couldn't read the 1st DVD, v 3666 rescue CD could.

4. corinthian

Thanks, Azdon. I think I will look into the firmware updates for my Memorex DVD writer.
    Bill

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Have you tried using Memorex DVDs in your Memorex writer. I've had good results with them in my Memorex drives.

6. corinthian

No, but I just got some Memorex today, so they will be used in the next experiments.
    Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.