commandline tool for dos creating corrupt images

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by whocrazy, Mar 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whocrazy

whocrazy Registered Member

Hi there. I have 2 drives in my system. the first is an ntfs drive, and the second is a fat32 drive where I store all my backup images.
    the problem I'm having is with the latest version of true image enterprise server 9.1 which I downloaded earlier this week, build 3,534
    if I boot to dos using the windows me-startup floppy which is created using windows xpsp2 (confusing, huh?) then I issue this command.
    true.exe /create /filename:"C:\stephen.tib" /harddisk:1
    the image is created ok, but if I try to restore from it or mount it, it tells me the image is corrupt, however, if I create the image of my drive from within the windows xpsp2 user interface, the files are not corrupted.
    I think this problem really needs looking into.
    the reason I use the dos command line interface is that I am blind, and my text to speech dos portion of my screenreader will not read the gui interface, like the one that comes up when I use the rescue disks. I would love to be able to use true image, but every backup I've created ends up being corrupt.
    Please Please can anyone help?

2. whocrazy

Oh, btw, both drives are 80 gig seagate disks.
    One is a st380011a and the other is a st380021a
    Surely someone out there must have a solution?
    perhaps if someone out there has a setup similar to mine they could test it out?
    Here is what to do to reproduce the bug.
    This is using the dos commandline tool found in the true image 9.1 distribution, the file is
    1,676,662 bytes long and it has a file date of friday 18-march this year

1. Format a floppy and create an ms-dos startup disk
    2. put the dos commandline utility in the root folder of your fat32 drive (probably c: since the operating system doesn't see the ntfs drive)
    3 issue the following command
    (I've shortened the name of the commandline dos executable's filename to true.exe for this example)
    After the executable's filename, enter the commandline options exactly as you see them displayed below
    true.exe /create /filename:"c:\stephen.tib" /harddisk:1
    An image will be created. Nothing left to do but wait for it to finish working, so go out to the shops or sit in a chair and relax or something.
    3. After the image is created it should say operation has succeeded.
    4. boot back in to windows xpsp2 (with all the latest updates installed)
    5. try mounting your newly created image... Archive is corrupt!! (Uh oh. hope your system drive doesn't choose this moment to go bye bye on you.

3. whocrazy

I might add that this problem only occurs with the dos command line utility, using the windows commandline utility will work like a dream, and then you can use the recovery wizard to get your data back, however, you can't use the dos command line program to do this. If you attempt this, you'll get the oh so informative "failed to open image file" message

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello whocrazy,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

Could you please clarify where you save your image to?

Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

5. whocrazy

Hi there. I save my image on the fat32 drive in the root folder.
    Your acronis report program is buggy, it produces an illegal operation before it can write the report to disk, sorry.
    Actually, I think I know what the problem is with the corrupt images
    You know how a fat32 disk can only store files that are so many gigabytes in size?
    Well, the default for the dos commandline utility is to split each file into 1 gigabyte chunks.
    If I look at the file sizes of each .tib file, Nearly all the files are the same size except the first file in the backup set "stephen1.tib" is a bit smaller than the rest. I am quite positive that the dos command line utility has bugs in it and that it isn't my machine at fault.
    When I tried using the dos command line utility from version 8 of true image enterprise, I had no trouble creating or restoring my images.

6. whocrazy

Next, I'm going to try using the dos gui program rather than the command line utility.. I'll let you all know what happens

7. whocrazy

Here is a copy of the email I sent to acronis support just now.
    Hi there. I am Stephen the blind person who was having trouble a few months ago with using true image's interface. I decided that I would try the latest version of true image 9.1 enterprise which I downloaded about 3 days ago.
    So I downloaded the trial version and installed it. Then I booted to dos and ran the dos commandline tool with these switches
    true.exe /create /filename:"c:\xpsp2.tib" /harddisk:1
    I have 2 hard drives in my system.
    Because my first drive is an ntfs drive, the dos will only see my fat32 drive which is allocated the drive letter c: when the dos boot floppy loads up. Thus my backup of my ntfs partition is being put on my fat32 drive.
    The image is created ok, but if I attempt to restore the image using the dos commandline tool like this:
    true.exe /deploy /filename:"c:\xpsp21.tib" /harddisk:1
    I get an error failed to open image
    But, if I use the boot rescue floppys and then choose to restore my image, the process works flawlessly.
    In the main true image application directory, there is a file ending with the .run extention, this is an executable file, so what I did was try renaming it to test.exe, then I booted in to dos and ran the test.exe program
    To my surprise, the true image interface came up, but because it is a gui, I had to get sighted assistance to help me with restoring the image, as my text to speech screenreader isn't able to read graphics, again as with the rescue floppys, the restoration proceeded with no problems whatsoever.
    I think there is a serious bug in the dos command line tool, and I am 95% positive that this is where the problem lies.
    Can you please fix this problem asap? I am not always lucky enough to have sighted assistance available, and the dos commandline tool is the only interface I am able to use. Please Please help!

8. whocrazy

does anyone know where I can obtain a trial version of true image 8.0 enterprise trial? I accidentally deleted it, I need the dos command line tool that comes with it...
    Thanks

9. Acronis Support

Hello whocrazy,

Please note that this issue is in progress and will do our best in order to contact you via e-mail with a possible workaround as soon as possible.

As for the trial version of Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server for Windows: I am afraid that I can not provide you with the link to download it via Forum for specific reasons. Please add your request to Acronis Support Team and they will assist you.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  10. atifans

atifans Registered Member

use the commandline like this:

true /deploy /filename:"c:\xpsp21.tib" /harddisk:1 /target_harddisk:1

11. whocrazy

Thank you, thank you thank you
    I'll let you know how it goes.
    Thanks for being pacient and putting up with my posts and sorry for all the trouble and anxt I might have caused you all.

12. atifans

atifans Registered Member

But commandline mode is too slowly than GUI-Mode.

What about you?

13. whocrazy

Well, when your dos mode text to speech device isn't able to read the gui that comes with the rescue media because it is written using graphics, you dont have much of a choice, do you?
    oh and no, the command
    true.exe /deploy /filename:"c:\xpsp2.tib" /harddisk:1/target_harddisk:1 produced the same result, the error failed to open image file.
    It's off to google to download an earlier version.
    Cya

14. whocrazy

Hi there. arrrrrg!! I'm getting nowhere!!!
    Managed to find a copy of the last build of true image 8 and install it, Tried the commandline true.exe /create /filename:"c:\xpsp2.tib /harddisk:1
    The image is created with the files split up into 1 gig parts
    on restoration get the error failed to open image!! exactly what happened with 9.1.
    uninstalled version 8 and reinstalled 9.1 again.
    if I try the windows version of the commandline tool, I get an error, failed to lock partition. This is because I am attempting to write to the system drive while windows is running, but at least the fact that I got a different error message tells me that the commandline tool for windows is able to open the image properly, why isn't the dos commandline tool able to do the same?

15. whocrazy

Hi guys. it's Me, with another update. What I'd like to know from you guys is, Do any of you get the same problem when trying to use the dos command line tool to restore your images?
    I got a message from acronis support promising they'll try and find a workaround, and that they've forwarded all my posts to support and to the forum off to their developers. I really hope I'm getting somewhere now, and I was wondering if possible, could any of you perform a few tests.
    if you have both an ntfs drive and a fat32 drive, Can you use the dos program to create a image of your ntfs drive and back it up to the fat32 drive, then try restoring the image?
    Please let me know if the image is recovered ok or if you get the failed to open image error.
    Thanks.

16. whocrazy

Hi there. it's me again with yet another update. Do you want to hear the good news or the bad news first?
    Well Tough, I'm going to decide for you.
    The good news is that I didn't realise you needed to specify the last file in the backup image set, in my case, xpsp217.tib
    I was contacted by someone from acronis about an hour ago.
    Now, I'd better give you the bad!
    So, the dos utility is busily restoring the drive, then suddenly, when it gets to 82% the whole thing comes to a grinding halt with the oh so useful "read error" message!!
    Oh my god, is my image corrupted? it turned out that no, it wasn't
    I tried a different tac. The only way to get around this problem is to use the rescue floppies or cd, but to do that I need sighted assistance, luckily for me it was available and within 10 minutes I was up and running again.
    here are my config.sys and autoexec.bat files
    (autoexec.bat)
    @echo off
    SET PATH=C:\4dos;%PATH%
    set comspec=C:\4dos\4dos.com
    (config.sys)
    device=a:\udma2.sys /o
    shell=C:\4dos\4dos.com /p

What I'm going to do is to try commenting out all the lines in these 2 files and see if that helps with my restoration problem.

17. whocrazy

Nope, didn't work, commented out all the lines and still got a read error at 82%
    Had to get sighted assistance to restore the image using the gui, so the image isn't corrupt after all. thank god. Only trouble is that quite often, sighted assistance isn't always possible. AAAAARG!!!

18. Acronis Support

Hello whocrazy,

Please note that Yeremyanov Oleg is still working on this issue along with the Development Team and will contact you via e-mail with a possible workaround as soon as possible. We will highly appreciate if you wait for a few days more to let us complete the investigation. Please accept our profound apologies for the delay.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

19. whocrazy

Hi. thank you for all your help.
    at least I have my "failed to open image" error fixed. I was wrong about the program creating corrupt images, but it has trouble restoring them. At least the gui found with the rescue media is able to get it right and for that I'm glad.

20. whocrazy

g'day again. Just a little update, the disk I am restoring to is an 80gig seagate drive. I tried a little experiment.
    I moved some files from my fat32 drive on to my ntfs drive and then recreated an image of the ntfs drive with the dos commandline tool, putting it on the fat32 drive of course.
    Image is created without a hitch. Restoring it is a different matter.
    Only this time, when I used the dos command line utility to restore the image, it got up to 81% before I got the read error.
    of course the rescue cd and the test.exe gui had no problem whatsoever with restoring the image.
    I really really hope that I'll get to hear back from acronis support soon and also hoping that there will be an update to fix the problem. I am going to try another experiment. I am going to run true image for windows (that is running under windows xp) and try verifying the image.
    Cya in a few minutes

21. whocrazy

my hunch was correct. The image verified without a problem. Say no more.

22. whocrazy

dos command line read error is still not fixed!!

it's been over a week since I came to acronis with my bug report, Yes I've tried the dos commandline utility from the new 9.1 build which I downloaded earlier today, after the restoration reached 81% I got a read error, so I ran the gui and had to ring a friend to come over to give me sighted assistance, and the image restored without a hitch. Cmon acronis cant you get this problem fixed up? you are really trying my pacients here!

23. Acronis Support

Re: dos command line read error is still not fixed!!

Hello whocrazy,

Could you please describe the issue in more details?
    - What was the image created from, form a separate files/folders or from a hard drive/partition?
    - Where have you tried to restore it to?

Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report file to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

If you have already submitted a request to Acronis Technical Support then please let us know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out how the investigation of your issue is going.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

24. whocrazy

Hi. I have submitted many messages about this in the forums and provided many acronis support staff with the details.
    I also sent an acronis support email with all the details and the report attached to the email created by the acronis report utility.
    my case number is #535522] true image 9.1 enterprise has a bug in it's dos commandline tool

25. Acronis Support

Hello whocrazy,

We are still working on your problem and will do our best in order to contact you with a possible workaround as soon as possible. We are highly appreciate if you wait for a few days more to let us complete the investigation. We are sorry for such a delay caused by our Developement Team being involved in the process.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.