Command Line Scanning Functionality

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DaveD, Oct 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveD

DaveD Guest

Which anti-virus programs feature on-demand scanning funtionality through command line options?

I personally am quite familiar with McAfee's command line scanner functionality which has always been beneficial to me by running scans from USB sticks and/or CDR's for the purpose of cleaning other people's PCs. Lately I have been getting quite disappointed though with McAfee's detection rates getting lower and lower with different scanning tests. It has also let me down recently with a virus infection on my own PC.

I hoping that, with this thread, that other users can point out to me which other anti-virus programs have command line functionality. It could be a free product or not. I would be more then willing to purchase a licence for whichever AV has decent command line options along with good detection rates.

Thank you,
    Dave

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

nod32 does. antivir has a command line scanner in beta atm. i dont know about any others. maybe DR web.

3. DaveD

DaveD Guest

Thank you, lodore, for the suggestions.

I decided to give AntiVir's ave32.exe command line scanner a try, but it looks like an older version and definitely not the beta.

Does it not support NTFS drives? Is it DOS only?

I will take a look at the beta and give it a whirl.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

dono about the old version i just knew about the beta.

5. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

The actual file is AVCMD.EXE. You will note that it doesn't scan sub dir's.

6. DaveD

DaveD Guest

I am actually running AntiVir PE at the moment anyways. I was unaware that it actually had that file and capability, but you are right I found it.

However, limiting the command line scanner to not scan sub dir's is completely useless. I gave it a try and it was done in about 2 seconds without the sub dir's.

What is the point of this?

I cannot believe that Avira would limit the command line scanner in a way that would make it completely useless. I mean, limiting a command line scanner... come on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.