Command Line Scanning Functionality

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DaveD, Oct 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveD

DaveD Guest

Which anti-virus programs feature on-demand scanning funtionality through command line options?

I personally am quite familiar with McAfee's command line scanner functionality which has always been beneficial to me by running scans from USB sticks and/or CDR's for the purpose of cleaning other people's PCs. Lately I have been getting quite disappointed though with McAfee's detection rates getting lower and lower with different scanning tests. It has also let me down recently with a virus infection on my own PC.

I hoping that, with this thread, that other users can point out to me which other anti-virus programs have command line functionality. It could be a free product or not. I would be more then willing to purchase a licence for whichever AV has decent command line options along with good detection rates.

Thank you,
    Dave

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

nod32 does. antivir has a command line scanner in beta atm. i dont know about any others. maybe DR web.

3. DaveD

DaveD Guest

Thank you, lodore, for the suggestions.

I decided to give AntiVir's ave32.exe command line scanner a try, but it looks like an older version and definitely not the beta.

Does it not support NTFS drives? Is it DOS only?

I will take a look at the beta and give it a whirl.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

dono about the old version i just knew about the beta.

5. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

The actual file is AVCMD.EXE. You will note that it doesn't scan sub dir's.

6. DaveD

DaveD Guest

I am actually running AntiVir PE at the moment anyways. I was unaware that it actually had that file and capability, but you are right I found it.

However, limiting the command line scanner to not scan sub dir's is completely useless. I gave it a try and it was done in about 2 seconds without the sub dir's.

What is the point of this?

I cannot believe that Avira would limit the command line scanner in a way that would make it completely useless. I mean, limiting a command line scanner... come on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.