Comcast ISP - McAfee Promo

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mercurie, Jul 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Fellow Creatures,
    Just in time for expiring Command AV license. Comcast users: McAfee has free AV, Privacy Service, and firewall. You pick what you want. No cost. I am unsure as to how long the def. updates are good for. :doubt: It maybe buried somewhere. But it has to be longer then 2 days that is left on Command. :D

I loaded AV and then Privacy Service. Do not think very much of the latter. :p May not keep it long. Like the AV, looks pretty good, my guess is it is 9, comes with the Security Center. Not to sure about that thing either. Looks like an Ad for other products. :blink:

But McAfee AV has come a long way since I used it in 2001. Sweet ;)

Anyone else using Comcast ISP decide to do this. Or know anything about this.

2. chia

chia Registered Member

I've been using the McAfee firewall for a little over a week now. Works fine for me and I will probably end up keeping it on my computer.

Once I found out about this I went and installed Virusscan on a couple of family members computers for them. A step up in my book from what they were using and I can sleep better at night knowing they are a bit better protected, because unfortunately I'm the one they call when things go wrong.

Both products run smooth from what I've experienced. Skipped the Privacy service altogether. Don't mind the Security Center but would be nice if you could get rid of it if you so desired. I applaud Comcast for this, good move.

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

mercurie,

It looks like a full basic package - 1 year I assume since they keep mentioning it is a $39.99 value. They do note:
    You do need a comcast e-mail address for activation.

Blue

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am a comcast user, and I say no thanks. I bit on a free McAfee offer from AOL. Couldn't quite get all the ports stealthed, so..... I contacted Macafee, and after a run around, finally got a human to talk to. He told me the problem was AOL. Contacted AOL and they honestly admitted they didn't have a clue as to what I was talking about. Ditched McAfee for Zone Alarm. Still finding remains of McAfee that I am getting rid of.

Pete

5. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I did not do the firewall. Would like to hear some more about this privacy service I can not honestly see what makes it worthy of space on my hard drive. I had to add it to BoClean's exclusion list too. Upon log out BO would not end or shut down it would just stop responding until you ended it. And of course until that was resolved it would just hang. Exclusion list solved it. Ad blocking is terrible but it does not trash your web pages either. It is suppose to stop web bugs too. :doubt: The logging websites feature is nice for watching from time to time were the youngsters have gone but that is the only thing I see good so far. You do have the ability to restrict it to specific sites. But wow that is really difficult to deal with if the youngster has a research project and needs to use other sites not listed.

Anti-Virus is very configurable. Many here say it is good at detection and kills. I also note Comcast logo built in to it. o_O

But I still think as was said that it is a good move on Comcast part too. :)

6. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

A quick off topic question. Is McAfee offering the daily updates for the home user yet?

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I dont think so.

8. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Firecat.

You're right, it doesn't. I asked at the McAfee forum and was told that VS 9 doesn't, but the new VS 10 does. Well I decided to purchase VS 10 (because I wanted to make sure I had a complete version, and because of the 30 day refund policy ;) :) ) to see if it truely did update daily. I ran it for 3 days. The only update I got was when I first installed it.

Getting a refund from McAfee was a nightmare. But that's another story. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.