Comcast - Cable modems

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Howard Kaikow, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Comcast has a list of approved cable modems at its web site.

Rather than pay for monthly rental, I'm leaning towards buying a cable
    modem.

Any issues with Comcast support in doing this?

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Howard Kaikow, as a former Comcast customer (Time Warner bought them out in our area) and still using a Motorola SB5100 modem that I bought back then, I never had a problem with Comcast because of my decision not to rent from them.

The few times I talked to Tech Support and had to recycle the modem, there were never any negative comments about my choice. Buying your own versus renting it's the way to go IMO.

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    They're fine when you buy your own modem. Simply call them up to have them "provision it". You read the MAC address of the modem to their tech...they'll find it on their network..and push out the config file. Once uploaded...you reboot the modem, and BAM...you're online. Now you can go setup your router on it or whatever, and you're good to go. Takes all of about 10 minutes on the phone with them.

Motorola Surfboards work great with Comcast and their powerboost feature, the 5120 model is generally the most beloved modem. However, production of that model has stopped, and it's currently being replaced by the newer Docsis 3 6120 model...since they're deploying Docsis 3 now.

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

After buying and experiencing a couple of hardware failures on my purchased cable modems over the past few years (both Motorola), I decided to simply go with renting from Comcast for a while. In broad strokes the purchase/rent decision was basically coming out as cost neutral in my experience over the past few years. Not sure if that's typical or not.

Blue

5. Howard Kaikow

Comcast recommended a Motorola Surfboard 5101 (DOCSIS 2 compatible) and a
    6120 (DOCSIS 3 compatible).

5101 is available in the usual places, for as little as $38.13 at Provantage
    (likely, plus shipping). BesrBuy has the 5101 for $79.99!!

6120 is not yet listed on Comcast's approved modem list, and, last I
    checked, is available ONLY from BestBuy for $99.99. I ASSuME that others
    will, at some point, sell the 6120 for less.

I'd rather get a DOCSIS 3 compatible modem, bit only if on Comcast's list.

6. Howard Kaikow

And, I was thinking of getting 2 cable modems, in case 1 went kaput.

Might make sense to get a 5101, then, when te price of the 6120 comes down, get a 6120.

7. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

No, not a good idea. Most do not go bad and will provide unwavering service for years! So it more likely the 2nd modem would grow obsolete while still in the box, be a waste of money, and end up in a landfill somewhere.

8. Howard Kaikow

I've decided to get 1 cable modem, a Motorola Surfboard 5101, as it has all the capabilites I will need for 12/2MB service.

If it fails, I'd replace it with a Motorola Surfboard 6120, which likely will have come down in price by then.

9. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Sounds like a plan.

10. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I would like to buy a modem, December 8 2008 I start getting long page load times of 10 minutes and error messages of DNS or Network Down. December 21 I have a service tech come out to the house. He can't find the problem, after he leaves I find the problem. During his visit he switches out the modem (which was working fine). He replaces the modem with a re conditioned modem (which is company policy at this time). About 3 weeks later the modem burns out. Road Runner in this area uses Toshiba 2600/2500 models docsis 1.1, I would love to buy a docsis 3 modem 9 but I don't think Road Runner will let me buy my own modem).

11. Howard Kaikow

Does RoadRunner have a list of APPROVED modems?
    If so, you can buy any of those.

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

13. Howard Kaikow

Hey, Howard, you'll be glad to hear that the Motorola Surfboard 6120 is no longer sold ONLY by Best Buy.

Of course, you will be unhappy to hear:

1. Comcast still does not include 6120 in list of approved modems.
    2. 6120 is more than twice the price of a 5101, even at the best prices (currently Provantage), $38 vs. $88.

14. Howard Kaikow

Comcast tells me that the 6120 is on the list of approved cable modems, but not yet listed at their web site.

15. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    It's just hitting the retail channels.....gotta give it a chance to become more available, and FAQ sites to get updated.

16. Howard Kaikow

Resolved the support issue with a Live Chat. Comcast has two lists of cable modems, and the one I was pointed to, obviously does not get updated in sync with the other list.

I was told to look at Incomplete List.

Better List.

17. Howard Kaikow

FYI.

Motorola web site does not list all places selling the 6120.

I looked at almost all the sellers.

Amazon and Buy.com are selling via the same 3rd party, including shipping, about $101.

Provantage had lowest price of $88.63 +, as I recall, $5.45 shipping, so damage would be $94.08, but none were in stock.

Searching around, I found that PC Connection claimed to have the criiter in stock. Price $89.85 + $10.27 shipping, total $100.12.

But PC Connection has free shipping for orders of $99 or more. So, instead of blowing $10.27 on shipping, I purchased $9.85 of mouse pads, which I needed anyway.

So total was $99.70 ($89.85 for the modem, $9.85 for the mouse pads).

Order is expected to ship Monday (4 May 2009).

P.S. I notified my ISP of my plans, and learned that my ISP will charge me only $8, not $9, per month to maintain my email and web site after giving up dial-up, saving me $14, not $13, per month.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.