Combo Fix

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Rico, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Watched I think his name was Mat's ( You Tube Video ) about Combo Fix

He stressed disable or remove AV before, running Combo Fix, presumably we were able to get to safe mode. Should other resident anti-malware apps also be disabled, before running CF?

I've avoided this software, because of the likelihood of collateral damage & use as last resort only. Is it time to re-consider?

Rico

2. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I would only use it if I were trained in fighting malware (which I am in training to do :ninja: )

3. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Combofix is always the last resort -- It can cripple your OS, so beware!. If you are unsure how to use it, you should really register at Bleepingcomputer.com - as Bleepingcomputer.com is the OFFICIAL home of Combofix. Anywhere else offering Combofix downloads beware of! I think when you google Combofix you get Combofix.org ... combofixdownload.com ... etc, these are not official places, some even charge for Combofix. Combofix is a free tool, never pay!.

ComboFix guides and tutorials

4. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

+1 on that.:thumb:

Combofix is worth a try if you've tried all the usual stuff like Mbam/Dr web/AVZ,etc. and you're left with the alternative of reinstalling the OS.With that sort of 'nothing to lose' scenario,Combofix can sometimes perform a minor miracle,it's an extremely powerful tool.

5. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Watch this: -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PRWXVD_8-8&feature=channel- Video

@Ibrad - How are you training?

@KB - I think the cripple OS, may be why the video stresses DISABLE or REMOVE AV before running CF. Also your post echos what I've heard & know about CF.

Sure would be nice to use this though!

NOTE When I can't get into safe mode or launch any anti-malware apps. I usually pull out my VBA rescue disk. Bootable with VBA AV. This can take 6 or more hours to complete. Plus its a pain to update.

I usually get 3 - 4 infected machines per week to clean.

@Ibrad - my training is/was "Wilders University" or WU

Take Care
    Rico

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2010
  6. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

7. Rico

Rico Registered Member

They don't but I'm bound to learn a thing or two during my tenure here.

Rico

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.