Combo Fix

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Rico, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Watched I think his name was Mat's ( You Tube Video ) about Combo Fix

He stressed disable or remove AV before, running Combo Fix, presumably we were able to get to safe mode. Should other resident anti-malware apps also be disabled, before running CF?

I've avoided this software, because of the likelihood of collateral damage & use as last resort only. Is it time to re-consider?

Rico

2. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I would only use it if I were trained in fighting malware (which I am in training to do :ninja: )

3. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Combofix is always the last resort -- It can cripple your OS, so beware!. If you are unsure how to use it, you should really register at Bleepingcomputer.com - as Bleepingcomputer.com is the OFFICIAL home of Combofix. Anywhere else offering Combofix downloads beware of! I think when you google Combofix you get Combofix.org ... combofixdownload.com ... etc, these are not official places, some even charge for Combofix. Combofix is a free tool, never pay!.

ComboFix guides and tutorials

4. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

+1 on that.:thumb:

Combofix is worth a try if you've tried all the usual stuff like Mbam/Dr web/AVZ,etc. and you're left with the alternative of reinstalling the OS.With that sort of 'nothing to lose' scenario,Combofix can sometimes perform a minor miracle,it's an extremely powerful tool.

5. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Watch this: -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PRWXVD_8-8&feature=channel- Video

@Ibrad - How are you training?

@KB - I think the cripple OS, may be why the video stresses DISABLE or REMOVE AV before running CF. Also your post echos what I've heard & know about CF.

Sure would be nice to use this though!

NOTE When I can't get into safe mode or launch any anti-malware apps. I usually pull out my VBA rescue disk. Bootable with VBA AV. This can take 6 or more hours to complete. Plus its a pain to update.

I usually get 3 - 4 infected machines per week to clean.

@Ibrad - my training is/was "Wilders University" or WU

Take Care
    Rico

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2010
  6. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

7. Rico

Rico Registered Member

They don't but I'm bound to learn a thing or two during my tenure here.

Rico