Coin Card - Secure?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by anniew, Nov 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anniew

anniew Registered Member

There have been a number of articles recently promoting the Coin card, as single replacement for all your cards (debit, credit, giftcard, etc).

Here is one such article:
    http://blog.gsmarena.com/coin-is-the-one-card-to-rule-them-all/

Here is a link to their site:
    https://onlycoin.com/

Anyone have insight on how they are (or would be) managing security?

Also, convenient as it may be, isn't this another platform that provides digital detritus on your personal life?

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

It nicely proofs how easily can be a card copied even though banks claim, that their security in unbeatable. Even a child can do it today.
    As for the product it provides kind of better security, since the thief will not be able to photocopy a card (number, name) so easily.
    On the other hand, it stores all cards on a server through a wireless phone, so there are too many 3rd parties involved.
    As for the wireless payment, I presume it will push users to use NFC phone app instead of a card.

3. anniew

anniew Registered Member

Thanks for your reply.

Anyone know how easy it would be to do a DIY and roll your own version of this device (Perhaps with a USB plug to allow access for loading/updating the card info)?

Please provide links to sites that might be helpful.

This would eliminate the third party issue.

There is a level of security in not having several cards to carry, and the data "locked" from all but the most ardent hacker.

4. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Nice thread!

Best regards,

Mohamed

5. x942

x942 Guest

I ordered one for personal use. I am more than happy to audit it to the best of my abilities.

It should be more secure than a normal card because it does disable itself if you are out of range. Also from my understanding the credit card data is stored on the phone and not the card. It is only transfered to the card over bluetooth at the POS (when you hit the button to activate it). I could be wrong though.

My first instinct was to see if we can clone it's magstripe and if not maybe attack the bluetooth stack.

6. anniew

anniew Registered Member

Thanks.

Look forward to your findings! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.