CoD: Modern Warfare 2 -- changing of the guard

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Sully, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Greetings to all.

While this is not really security related, I found it very interesting and I know many here are gamers. It seems that the latest Call of Duty title "Modern Warfare 2" is going to be without dedicated server support. It will use some sort of matchmaking system where you cannot choose what server you can join. Private matches are allowed, but who has the bandwidth to support 32 people?

I find this disturbing that a leader in the PC gaming scene has chosen to basically ignore the PC segments desires and push them into a console type flavored system. There is a petition floating around online which has already garnered almost 100,000 signatures.

I game a little, and do play CoD4. While I can't cry too loud because of how little time I actually spend playing games, I do feel a bit miffed. I will not be buying the game, which I had considered before, unless they include what should be a 'normal' option.

Not much else to say except this thought pattern seems to be spreading. I am not sure if it is related to piracy or the outcry of novice users who need the author/developer to do everything for them. It seems more and more tools/titles are now taking away the ability to customize thier product and limit offline functionality. On prinicples alone it goes against what I like.

Later.

Sul.

2. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

I saw someone talking about this petition while playing COD4 the other day, I didn't really understand what they meant, then, but yeah looks like something like game console conformity measure, if true - which sucks.The unique selling point of PC gaming vs Console, for me, has been the variety; to find specific game servers, like Sniper only, or Knife only, hardcore gaming, etc. And you can have more interaction with fellow players. You don't get this with console gaming. IMO.

Maybe this is to regulate the server security ? I know there are many private servers that exploit the users. If you have map mod enabled you are wide open to direct download into your game folder. This was being exploited heavily to steal gaming keys and so on. The cheats are a big problems with COD servers, also. Might be a measure to cut down on auto-aim bots - a definite problem with this type of PC game genre.

TBH, I was a little bit fed up with COD series. When they released an absolute pile of junk "filler" version of the game WAW (world at war), it was nothing more than a rip-off. Just a mish-mash of several earlier versions.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

most console games these days you can create custom matches such as pistol only etc and choose which server you use. for example killzone2 which i sometimes play on the PS3.

not being able to choose servers does seem stupid...

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Who really knows how this will play out. Hopefully this is not the 'future' of PC software, whether it be game or not. The whole point in playing games on your PC is that it is not a console with its limitations. Perhaps we just should not be uniqueo_O

Sul.

5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i play PC games because of the versatility and customization ability, if PC games become like console game, my hope is lost.

6. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Exactly!

I guess without games as we know them for the MS platform, that would clear the way to be *nix user ;)

Sul.

7. lifetweaker

lifetweaker Registered Member

8. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

This is a load of BS. I hope this isn't the future for PC games. Why the hell should 'the game' decide where & with whom I play with. Finding decent servers and a good bunch of people to play with is what it's all about.

I can understand there needs to be a way to wipe out piracy, especially at those levels - 60% crikey lol ... but this sucks.

I hope this is a massive failure. Certainly isn't worth paying to fund their experiment.

9. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

agreed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.