cloud scanner a privacy risk?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by david banner, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david banner

david banner Registered Member

Is Comodo cloud scanner a privacy risk? i installed it to check a suspicious file. Should I uninstall?

If it says the file is OK does that definately mean it is OK? The scanner has the latest updates

2. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Talking generally, if you want an higher assurance about a suspicious file, use also Virus Total.

3. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Here is their overview of how it works: http://help.comodo.com/topic-73-1-147-771-Summary-of-the-Scanning-Process.html. Lets assume that isn't leaving anything important out. Notice that what is sent to their cloud depends on what is scanned and seen on your machine. If, by chance, it only ended up scanning and seeing things that could be categorized without sending information to their cloud, there should be no privacy risk. However, if it can't categorize one or more files based purely on local information, then it is going to at least send a hash to the cloud and possibly the full file (hopefully, over a secure connection). In general those are both privacy risks, but to assess the risks you'd have to factor in the nature of the specific files in question (what their presence on your machine would reveal, what sensitive information they contain, etc). You might also choose to factor in what you think might happen to the information once it has left your machine. What Comodo might do with it, whether others might one day gain access to it somehow, etc. Perhaps you have a crystal ball to assist you with that aspect.

It looks to me as though it is strictly an on-demand scanner with the option to just scan a specific file or folder. So if you understand how it works and use it in a focused/controlled manner I *think* you could avoid problem scenarios.

Note the "If an executable is signed by a trusted authority then it is trusted" and "If it is a windows module or process it is trusted" steps early on in the process. In most cases those would work out OK, but if Comodo wanted to be more sure and provide more reliable answers it would actually analyze the files itself. Also be aware that what Comodo considers "OK" might not match what you consider to be "OK". Especially if you have somewhat demanding standards WRT privacy.

4. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Yes, cloud scanning, like any other cloud service, can be a privacy risk. Basically, you send something you have on your computer to a third party. If the information that you send does not identify you or is not private, and you trust the software that sends the data, then the risk is zero.

5. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

If I am not wrong, Comodo On-Demand Cloud Scanner is a discontinued product.

6. david banner

david banner Registered Member

thanks guys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.