Cloud anti-virus and satellite connection

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jdd58, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Would there be any performance issues when using a cloud anti-virus over a high latency satellite connection? My pings are in the 1600ms range.

Also I have a bandwidth restriction. Would there be additional bandwidth used compared to a traditional anti-virus?

2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I'm a certified WildBlue installer (among other things) and you have nothing to be concerned about. :D

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Can you explain in more detail about the concerns?

4. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

I have a 3000 MB per 30 days upload limit and a 12,000 MB download limit. I like to keep unnecessary traffic to a minimum so as to avoid going over the limit.

Not knowing how files are checked I wasn’t sure if a cloud anti-virus would add to the latency a great deal or not. I am a satisfied WildBlue customer but latency really is an issue when using https due to the handshaking going on.

If EliteKiller put his stamp of approval on it, being a WildBlue installer, that’s good enough for me.

5. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Then,you'd better not use such antivirus software . Take some that doesn't work that way , updates max. 3-4 times a day and protect yourself using other measures.

6. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

I hate ISP's with all these bw restrictions. I just got a restriction last year and it sucks.

7. progress

progress Guest

Is there no flat rate available in the US? I can't believe it :doubt:

8. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Not for residential satellite-delivered internet. Both Hughesnet and WildBlue FAP their customers.

9. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Where I live satellite is the only choice other than dial-up. DSL is available 3 miles away. Hopefully it will make its way out here soon.

I'm giving Panda Cloud a try for now and will see how it goes.

Thanks to all.

10. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Panda Cloud uses about 135kb a day after the first scan. As long as you do not scan daily I can't see how Panda Cloud will use that much data.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.