Cloud anti-virus and satellite connection

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jdd58, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Would there be any performance issues when using a cloud anti-virus over a high latency satellite connection? My pings are in the 1600ms range.

Also I have a bandwidth restriction. Would there be additional bandwidth used compared to a traditional anti-virus?

2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I'm a certified WildBlue installer (among other things) and you have nothing to be concerned about. :D

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Can you explain in more detail about the concerns?

4. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

I have a 3000 MB per 30 days upload limit and a 12,000 MB download limit. I like to keep unnecessary traffic to a minimum so as to avoid going over the limit.

Not knowing how files are checked I wasn’t sure if a cloud anti-virus would add to the latency a great deal or not. I am a satisfied WildBlue customer but latency really is an issue when using https due to the handshaking going on.

If EliteKiller put his stamp of approval on it, being a WildBlue installer, that’s good enough for me.

5. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Then,you'd better not use such antivirus software . Take some that doesn't work that way , updates max. 3-4 times a day and protect yourself using other measures.

6. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

I hate ISP's with all these bw restrictions. I just got a restriction last year and it sucks.

7. progress

progress Guest

Is there no flat rate available in the US? I can't believe it :doubt:

8. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Not for residential satellite-delivered internet. Both Hughesnet and WildBlue FAP their customers.

9. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Where I live satellite is the only choice other than dial-up. DSL is available 3 miles away. Hopefully it will make its way out here soon.

I'm giving Panda Cloud a try for now and will see how it goes.

Thanks to all.

10. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Panda Cloud uses about 135kb a day after the first scan. As long as you do not scan daily I can't see how Panda Cloud will use that much data.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.