clonning accounts in XP?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ArchAngel_8, Jan 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArchAngel_8

ArchAngel_8 Registered Member

Hi
    Was wondering if anybody had suggestions for copying accounts in XP Pro? I have used the accounts wizzard, checked the MS home page, and read the chapter in my XP Pro book and found nothing to help me create a "user account" that is identical to the "admin" account with out the privilages. When I create an account it starts off from scratch. Any programs in my Admin account need to be set up all over and many are not even avaliable. For example, when I go to prgrams, none of my DiamondCS programs are listed. Same for other programs, although some are there, but need to be configured all over again(eg. My wireless client). I have played around in "Shared Folders" with no success. Any ideas?? o_O

XP Pro SP1 all critical updates installed..

2. Zedd

Zedd Guest

Hi!

I have successfully done this on more than one occasion. But unfortunately
    I don't remember the full procedure. Test this though: Create a new account, log in to that account once. Log out. Log in as Administrator, Go to "C:\Documents and Settings\*new account name* and delete everything inside that folder, keep the now empty*new account name* folder though, se later instructions. Then go to System/Advanced/User Profiles. Select your Administrator account, klick on the button "Copy to" and save it to your *new account name* folder. Test by logging in to it.

Good Luck!

3. ArchAngel_8

hey... well unfortunetally i could not highlight the Admin account in order to select "copy to"..... ? :rolleyes:

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

There may be a way to do it but for the security that xp pro has you are not supposed to be able to have two accounts with adminastrative rights.

5. ArchAngel_8

Hey....

No, I don't need the cloned account to have Admin privilages, I just want all the programs installed and running in my admin account to show up in the "new user account". For example if I create a new user account, TDS-3, Proccess Guard, Port Explorer, and others do not even show up in the programs list of the new account. ANy Ideas?? :rolleyes:

6. StAnger

StAnger Registered Member

7. ArchAngel_8

:rolleyes: Just did, and it would not work. thanks for the link though! :D

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Sorry about that. But I have never had that happen on an added user account. It always shows all the programs it just keeps them from making any changes to them without admin access. I hope you find the remedy. :)

9. ArchAngel_8

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.