clonning accounts in XP?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ArchAngel_8, Jan 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArchAngel_8

ArchAngel_8 Registered Member

Hi
    Was wondering if anybody had suggestions for copying accounts in XP Pro? I have used the accounts wizzard, checked the MS home page, and read the chapter in my XP Pro book and found nothing to help me create a "user account" that is identical to the "admin" account with out the privilages. When I create an account it starts off from scratch. Any programs in my Admin account need to be set up all over and many are not even avaliable. For example, when I go to prgrams, none of my DiamondCS programs are listed. Same for other programs, although some are there, but need to be configured all over again(eg. My wireless client). I have played around in "Shared Folders" with no success. Any ideas?? o_O

XP Pro SP1 all critical updates installed..

2. Zedd

Zedd Guest

Hi!

I have successfully done this on more than one occasion. But unfortunately
    I don't remember the full procedure. Test this though: Create a new account, log in to that account once. Log out. Log in as Administrator, Go to "C:\Documents and Settings\*new account name* and delete everything inside that folder, keep the now empty*new account name* folder though, se later instructions. Then go to System/Advanced/User Profiles. Select your Administrator account, klick on the button "Copy to" and save it to your *new account name* folder. Test by logging in to it.

Good Luck!

3. ArchAngel_8

hey... well unfortunetally i could not highlight the Admin account in order to select "copy to"..... ? :rolleyes:

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

There may be a way to do it but for the security that xp pro has you are not supposed to be able to have two accounts with adminastrative rights.

5. ArchAngel_8

Hey....

No, I don't need the cloned account to have Admin privilages, I just want all the programs installed and running in my admin account to show up in the "new user account". For example if I create a new user account, TDS-3, Proccess Guard, Port Explorer, and others do not even show up in the programs list of the new account. ANy Ideas?? :rolleyes:

6. StAnger

StAnger Registered Member

7. ArchAngel_8

:rolleyes: Just did, and it would not work. thanks for the link though! :D

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Sorry about that. But I have never had that happen on an added user account. It always shows all the programs it just keeps them from making any changes to them without admin access. I hope you find the remedy. :)

9. ArchAngel_8

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.