Cloning XP / 2000 boxes

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Bucrepus, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bucrepus

Bucrepus Guest

I have a question about cloning XP boxes. Does ACRONIS have a product to image the drive from outside windows? I want to clone my XP boxes but if I replace hardware in my box, say a new harddrive or add a DVD drive, TRUEIMAGE's image file creates an unbootable machine (INACCESSABLE BOOT DEVICE). The problem is corrected by properly running Microsoft's SYSPREP on the machine before cloning to allow a hardware registry rebuild, but then TRUEIMAGE can't be run.. I have to run Ghost from DOS to image the drive and then the hardware registry is rebuilt and the new hardware is added. I HATE ghost, but I haven't found another program that will create a hardware independent image.

2. Bucrepus

Bucrepus Guest

I haven't tried the BOOTABLE rescue version. I will try this...

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

When you make images, you have to image the entire hard drive, not just the C partition. If you restore all the partitions to a new hard drive, it should boot normally.

The ATI recovery CD boots into a Linux enviroment and should do what you want with Sysprep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.