Cloning Vista in dual boot setup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by HitmanPM, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HitmanPM

HitmanPM Registered Member

I need help please.

I've been trying for weeks now to image a machine with WinXP x64 and Vista Ultimate x64 and I can't get it to work. I'm using TI Echo v.8.206 Rescue CD to do the imaging. Here is my setup:

- Windows XP x64 and Windows Ultimate x64 both on the same drive.

- The XP partition is my boot partition.

- Both OS have been "sysprep-ed" (XP first, then Vista)

- Vista is sysprep-ed using the following command: sysprep /oobe /generalize /quit /unattend:sysprep.xml

- XP works well after imaging and restore, only Vista is giving me issues during mini-setup.

- When I first boot Vista, it's giving me the following error in mini-setup "Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed."

- If I try to change something in the BCD before or after imaging/restore, I have at least one of the partitions that won't boot because of missing/corrupt files.

Has anyone been able to dual boot and image successfully a computer with TI Echo and could help me figure it out?

Thanks

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

You said, "I've been trying for weeks now to clone a machine with WinXP x64 and Vista Ultimate x64 and I can't get it to work. I'm using TI Echo v.8.206 Rescue CD to do the imaging"

Cloning and Imaging are two different features of True Image. So that you can get correct suggestions, which one are you using?

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

4. HitmanPM

Sorry about the confusion.

I'm trying to image the drive containing the XP64 and Vista 64 partitions.

5. DwnNdrty

I don't have any X64 systems (it shouldn't matter to the Rescue CD), but I have made an Image of a Vista and XP dual boot system and restored it successfully using the Ver 9 build 3677 Rescue CD.

6. HitmanPM

Have you used Sysprep on your Vista partition prior to imaging? Because on my machine, imaging Vista works well until I do "sysprep /generalize /quit /oobe /unattend:myscript.xml". After that, when Vista boot the first time for the mini-setup/oobe, I get the "Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration..." error. Looks like Sysprep does something to the BCD store which prevents the oobe from running properly...

If you have other ideas, please post.

7. DwnNdrty

Sysprep is not needed if you're restoring the Image back to the same machine. Are you restoring to a different computer, I must have missed that in your original post.

8. HitmanPM

Right now I'm in my testing phase so I'm restoring to my original machine but the goal is to ba able to restore to other computers with the same (or very similar) hardware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.