cloning v8

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by vision, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vision

vision Registered Member

it states that to clone the disk i must remove the old one. The reason i am asking is that i want to clone the drive weekly in case of a crash

2 drives
    one drive with os, data etc.
    second drive empty that i want to clone the first one to. I want to be able to leave the first one in and run while cloning it once a week to the other.
    if the first drive goes down i can unplug it and boot from the second drive. is this possible?
    i think i read it overwrites the mbr, leaving the original disk unbootable, i need use the new disk..
    hopefully i can get som ehelp.

thanks alot

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello vision,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Cloning and System Transferring Software.

If you clone the drive under Windows you may leave both drives in the system though it is not recommended. When you clone the disk your source drive stays untouched, no MBR overwriting or whatever (however, you may choose to wipe it - in this case all the data will be deleted).

Please note that you cannot schedule disk cloning. We recommend that you use image creation as backup strategy, especially since you are able to schedule image creation.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. vision

vision Registered Member

I tried it on an ide drive as a test
    one master second slave
    cloned ot the slave unplugged both an was able to boot to both.
    thanks
    the question is that if I clone a scsi drive to anaother one will i get the same result
    I would unplug the new one and clone once a week.

another question when I clone in windows not from the boot disk
    should i allocate a rive letter or just leave it as unalocatted space formatted with ntfs.

thanks
    the reason is that i was getting hd errores whlie running a backup to a tape drive and it is better tobe safe than sorry. \

thanks alot for the response.

4. Acronis Support

Hello vision,

If you clone disk to another one of different type you may encounter the problem that Windows cannot find drivers to be able to boot from the new disk. However, this usually happens when you clone IDE disk to SCSI or SATA. When you clone to IDE there shouldn't be any problems since the driver for IDE is present in Windows by default even if it was installed on SATA or SCSI disk.

I couldn't quite understand your second question. Do you mean the drive letter for the new disk before you start cloning? If so there is no difference. Acronis True Image is able to perform bare-metal restore and cloning and you may use even unpartitioned disk as a target drive. If I didn't get your question right please clarify what you mean and I will certainly answer you as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. wiffle

wiffle Guest

scsi to scsi
    can i do live cloning?

6. Acronis Support

Hello wiffle,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Acronis True Imade doesn't support live cloning. We will certainly implement this feature in Acronis True Image in the future.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.