Cloning to USB drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by auipga, Dec 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. auipga

auipga Registered Member

Hi at all.
    I looked for an equal topic, but found nothing.
    So here is my problem:
    I want to backup my old internal 80Gig drive to an external 200Gig USB harddisk. So i choosed "clone hdd" and "automatic". according to the manual this greaten up my partitions from eg 16gig to 40gig for drive "c:". so far so good.
    acronis wants to reboot. "ok". after the lines from the bios it appears a blinking cursor and thats all. after hours of waiting (i calculated the time which is will take and waited two times as much). i pressed "space"/"enter" and it i think aborts the process and continues starting windows.
    after that i had a look at my external 200Gig hdd: partitions were created but the content of the drives wasn't complete. each of my 7 partitions was about 80% of the original size. so i think it has problems with the remaining 20%.

do you have an idea?

pc is running under win xp pro + sp 2
    800Mhz
    512 MB ram
    additional usb 2.0 pci card

(please excuse my bad english)

merry christmas and thanks in advance for your help!

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

It would help to say which version and build of True Image you have. In any case, you want to use Backup, not Clone. And to do so safely, until you get more familiar with the software, make the bootable True Image Rescue cd - you'll see how to do so from the installed software.

After you make this CD, boot with it and use Backup to make an Image of your 80G on to the external drive. There is one problem you may run into and that is when booting from the CD, you may not be able to choose the External drive as the destination for the Image - better to find out now than later when you really need to use that external with True Image.

If you do get that problem, you will have to make the BartPE cd that has the True Image plug-in embedded in it.

3. auipga

auipga Registered Member

true image 2009 build o_O, file version 12.0.0.9551 os maybe build is 9551.

i want in case of a harddisk damage simply switch to the 2nd harddisk (the clone) without doing anything. just get the old one out and put the new one in. :D

so it has to be bootable and noch just a partition full of image files.
    if this does not work, i have another idea:
    if i 1) put the external harddisk into my pc as internal,
    2) make one partition with 80Gig (rest is unassigned)
    3) make image files of my 7 partitions to it,
    can i - in case of damage - use this 7 image files to create new 7 partitions directly on the same harddisk using a bootable cd? (and after this i have to set the first partition as invisible cause of counting the drive letters c: d: ...??)

4. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

You say that you are using build 9551.

If you are using an English version of Acronis TI 2009, then you are using an old build. You need to down load the latest build which is 9646.

To check you build press the ALT key to see the new menu.

5. auipga

auipga Registered Member

thanks for the response. i will download and test the new version.

6. calvin2s

calvin2s Registered Member

auipga

Just be sure your pc BIOS does support boot-from-usb.

I wanted to do the same thing you are trying but, unfortunately, my BIOS is so out-of-date that it does NOT support boot-from-usb. :( It does, however, look to the CD-RW drive (D:\) for a bootable cdrom. So in the event of a corrupted OS or a C:\ hard drive crash so bad that Windows will not launch, I plan to boot from the Acronis installation CD and use Acronis to transfer the backedup system from the archive stored on my usb external drive onto my C:\ drive...or onto a new C:\ drive if hard drive failure was the problem.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello auipga,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

I may recommend you the following scenario for your purposes:

1) Using Media Builder option within the program create Acronis bootable disc
    2) Boot from the create disc and use Clone Disk option to clone the drive to USB drive
    3) After the clone make sure that you disconnect external drive, in case you leave both drives (internal and external) your system may become unbootable
    4) Then in case internal drive crashes you can swap it with external drive.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

8. auipga

auipga Registered Member

hi, thanks again for your answers.
    i noticed that during the cloning process there is no progress bar or sth like that. only a cursor at top left. is this normal?
    regards

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello auipga,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

If clone process has finished successfully then there is no reason to worry about progress bar indication.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.